ID Badge Holders

[Not Responding]

Guest
At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.

I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:36:53 +0100, " [Not Responding] "
<[email protected]> wrote:

>At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
>not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
>the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
>remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
>
>I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
>with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
>will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

I think you should just break through the checkpoint in a Steve
McQueen Great Escape stylee. We'll have a urc whip round and buy you a
baseball glove and ball.

Alternatively, perhaps worth trying a ski equipment shop? They might
do something like that for ski-lift passes....
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
> with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
> will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

cheers,
clive

"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:

>" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
>> with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
>> will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

>Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
>one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

If you just have a plastic cover (should be easy enough to find, some of
my cards came with one) then use one of those ski pass things are
sort of like those dogleashes: a plastic round thingy attached to a zipper
or something, when you pull on the card it releases a string and when you
let the card go it the string is rewound in the plastic thingy.

This is a very inadequate description of something I see very clearly in
my mind. I'm sure there are pictures out there somewhere.

Roos

On 20 Oct 2004 18:02:17 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:

>"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
>>> with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
>>> will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

>>Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
>>one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

>If you just have a plastic cover (should be easy enough to find, some of
>my cards came with one) then use one of those ski pass things are
>sort of like those dogleashes: a plastic round thingy attached to a zipper
>or something, when you pull on the card it releases a string and when you
>let the card go it the string is rewound in the plastic thingy.
>
>This is a very inadequate description of something I see very clearly in
>my mind. I'm sure there are pictures out there somewhere.

Fly fishermen call them zingers.

[Not Responding] wrote:
> At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer,
> this is not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round
> my neck. When the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as
> I have to stop, remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around
> to find it.
>
> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated
> armband with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a
> thing exists or will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

We need passes where I work and someone there had the idea of using a ski
pass holder. It works in the same way that DIY mesuring tape works. It may
work for you.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

[Not Responding] wrote:
> At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
> not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
> the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
> remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
>
> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
> with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
> will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

You want a ski lift-pass holder!

Either an elasicated thing round youe neck or oneof the transparent pocket
on an armband thingies.

pk

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:36:53 +0100 someone who may be " [Not
Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
>with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
>will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

Some coats have "identity" card holders built in. This can be pulled
from under the outer part of the coat to display the "identity"
card. It will stay there as it is held by elastic. It can also be
unhooked, when a piece of elastic will pull the "identity" card
under the outer part of the coat again. I have no idea where you
would get one, probably a work wear supplier.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

> Fly fishermen call them zingers.

LOL I don't think that you want to be fishing in your fly to produce
your pass to the big security man - might take it the wrong way!

Robert

<[email protected]> wrote:

>At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
>not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
>the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
>remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
>
>I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
>with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
>will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

What is the pass made of? Would it stand a bit of rain so you could
just wear it round your neck over your coat? Mine seems to survive
this treatment- and if I ruin it, security can just provide a new one.

" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
> not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
> the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
> remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.

Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
identity passes made.

i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera. Then
the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.

So that's a homemade pass then.

In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass as
'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right to
shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.

Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and happily
took the home made work identity card.

John

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
>> not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
>> the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
>> remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
>>

> Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
> identity passes made.
>
> i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera.
> Then
> the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
>
> So that's a homemade pass then.
>
> In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
> in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
> experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass
> as
> 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right
> shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
>
> Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
> identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and
> happily
> took the home made work identity card.
>
> John

LOL. Admittedly about 10 years ago, Barclays refused my passport as ID, but
accepted an old-style driving licence (without picture!)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
> > not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
> > the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
> > remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
> >

> Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
> identity passes made.
>
> i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera.

Then
> the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
>
> So that's a homemade pass then.
>
> In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
> in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
> experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass

as
> 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right

> shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
>
> Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
> identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and

happily
> took the home made work identity card.
>
> John

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
> > not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
> > the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
> > remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
> >

> Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
> identity passes made.
>
> i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera.

Then
> the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
>
> So that's a homemade pass then.
>
> In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
> in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
> experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass

as
> 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right

> shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
>
> Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
> identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and

happily
> took the home made work identity card.

my work ID badge recently went in the wash with my lab coat; to get new one
I simply went to HR; filled out a form, the receptionist took it off to HR
person who signed it without even seeing me, hey presto, took form to
security , had photo taken, got badge. I could have just walked off the
street.

Phil Cook <[email protected]> of hardly any wrote:

>On 20 Oct 2004 18:02:17 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:
>
>>"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:
>>
>>>" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
>>>one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

>>If you just have a plastic cover (should be easy enough to find, some of
>>my cards came with one) then use one of those ski pass things are
>>sort of like those dogleashes: a plastic round thingy attached to a zipper
>>or something, when you pull on the card it releases a string and when you
>>let the card go it the string is rewound in the plastic thingy.
>>
>>This is a very inadequate description of something I see very clearly in
>>my mind. I'm sure there are pictures out there somewhere.

>Fly fishermen call them zingers.

Parents call them the things that attach dummies to babies.
--
Fatal mouse error. (B)ury or (R)eplace?
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid

Eatmorepies wrote:

> Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
> identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and happily
> took the home made work identity card.

In early '79 I flew El Al to Tel Aviv Israel with my bike on the same
day that President Carter was flying to Tel Aviv to meet Menachem Begin
as part of the Israel/Egypt peace negotiations. I've never experienced
so much security. The bike was almost stripped down and I was
'interrogated' as to why I wanted to cycle in Israel - hot, sunny, great
scenery, being viewed with utmost suspicion.

My passport was checked but I was told I needed further ID. A passport
was not sufficient.
All I had was my tatty YHA card with a sketch cartoon where the picture
should have been. It was a silly face that had been defaced with beard,
glasses, scar, the lot.
The gun-toting security looked at me, looked at the cartoon, hesitated,
made a phone call then said "OK".

After all the high security they then went and left my bike propped up
against a wall at Heathrow :-((

John B

Eatmorepies [email protected] opined the following...
> Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
> identity passes made.
>
> i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera. Then
> the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
>
> So that's a homemade pass then.
>
> In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
> in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
> experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass as
> 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right to
> shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
>
> Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
> identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and happily
> took the home made work identity card.

A friend once had to visit a British Militry Base. He had no photo ID
with him so one of the guards asked

"Do you have a bank card? That'll be OK as proof of who you are."

He though about explaining the flaw in their logic, but needed access to
the base.

Jon

Something strange happened in the college-based manufacture(*) of my
College card, and that of approx 50 other students, the photograph has
been replaced by a black box.

When parcels arrive, I have to argue with TPB to collect them. When I
try to buy myself lunch from the canteen, I am turned away as a joke.
College is going to replace the card, it says ....

Meanwhile, I've used the card as "photo" ID in banks and all sorts of
places without trouble. Maybe when I finally graduate I'll be clever
enough to understand ....

Clear skies
Sarennah

(*) IME the College reputation for IT matters is not the best.

"Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> LOL. Admittedly about 10 years ago, Barclays refused my passport as ID, but
> accepted an old-style driving licence (without picture!)

Probably because a passport does not have your address on it.

--
Dave...