ID Badge Holders

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [Not Responding], Oct 20, 2004.

  1. At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.

    I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    Tags:

  2. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:36:53 +0100, " [Not Responding] "
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    >not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    >the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    >remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
    >
    >I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    >with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    >will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    I think you should just break through the checkpoint in a Steve
    McQueen Great Escape stylee. We'll have a urc whip round and buy you a
    baseball glove and ball.

    Alternatively, perhaps worth trying a ski equipment shop? They might
    do something like that for ski-lift passes....
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the bastards'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  3. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    > with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    > will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
    one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

    cheers,
    clive

  4. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:

    >" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]

    >> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    >> with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    >> will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    >Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
    >one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

    If you just have a plastic cover (should be easy enough to find, some of
    my cards came with one) then use one of those ski pass things are
    sort of like those dogleashes: a plastic round thingy attached to a zipper
    or something, when you pull on the card it releases a string and when you
    let the card go it the string is rewound in the plastic thingy.

    This is a very inadequate description of something I see very clearly in
    my mind. I'm sure there are pictures out there somewhere.

    Roos

  5. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On 20 Oct 2004 18:02:17 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:

    >"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >>" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>> I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    >>> with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    >>> will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    >>Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
    >>one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

    >If you just have a plastic cover (should be easy enough to find, some of
    >my cards came with one) then use one of those ski pass things are
    >sort of like those dogleashes: a plastic round thingy attached to a zipper
    >or something, when you pull on the card it releases a string and when you
    >let the card go it the string is rewound in the plastic thingy.
    >
    >This is a very inadequate description of something I see very clearly in
    >my mind. I'm sure there are pictures out there somewhere.

    Fly fishermen call them zingers.

  6. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer,
    > this is not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round
    > my neck. When the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as
    > I have to stop, remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around
    > to find it.
    >
    > I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated
    > armband with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a
    > thing exists or will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    We need passes where I work and someone there had the idea of using a ski
    pass holder. It works in the same way that DIY mesuring tape works. It may
    work for you.
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

  7. PK

    PK Guest

    [Not Responding] wrote:
    > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    > not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    > the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    > remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
    >
    > I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    > with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    > will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    You want a ski lift-pass holder!

    Either an elasicated thing round youe neck or oneof the transparent pocket
    on an armband thingies.

    pk

  8. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:36:53 +0100 someone who may be " [Not
    Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    >with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    >will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    Some coats have "identity" card holders built in. This can be pulled
    from under the outer part of the coat to display the "identity"
    card. It will stay there as it is held by elastic. It can also be
    unhooked, when a piece of elastic will pull the "identity" card
    under the outer part of the coat again. I have no idea where you
    would get one, probably a work wear supplier.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  9. > Fly fishermen call them zingers.

    LOL I don't think that you want to be fishing in your fly to produce
    your pass to the big security man - might take it the wrong way!

    Robert

  10. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    >not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    >the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    >remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
    >
    >I spent my evening commute imagining a sort of elasticated armband
    >with a transparent pocket. Does anyone know if such a thing exists or
    >will it have to be a make-and-mend project?

    What is the pass made of? Would it stand a bit of rain so you could
    just wear it round your neck over your coat? Mine seems to survive
    this treatment- and if I ruin it, security can just provide a new one.

  11. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    > not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    > the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    > remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.

    Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
    identity passes made.

    i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera. Then
    the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.

    So that's a homemade pass then.

    In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
    in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
    experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass as
    'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right to
    shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.

    Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
    identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and happily
    took the home made work identity card.

    John

  12. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    >> not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    >> the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    >> remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
    >>

    > Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
    > identity passes made.
    >
    > i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera.
    > Then
    > the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
    >
    > So that's a homemade pass then.
    >
    > In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
    > in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
    > experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass
    > as
    > 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right
    > shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
    >
    > Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
    > identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and
    > happily
    > took the home made work identity card.
    >
    > John

    LOL. Admittedly about 10 years ago, Barclays refused my passport as ID, but
    accepted an old-style driving licence (without picture!)

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  13. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    > > not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    > > the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    > > remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
    > >

    > Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
    > identity passes made.
    >
    > i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera.

    Then
    > the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
    >
    > So that's a homemade pass then.
    >
    > In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
    > in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
    > experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass

    as
    > 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right

    > shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
    >
    > Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
    > identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and

    happily
    > took the home made work identity card.
    >
    > John

  14. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > At work, I have to show an ID badge at the gate. In summer, this is
    > > not a problem as it is in its usual place; slung round my neck. When
    > > the weather's like this (=v. wet) it's a pain as I have to stop,
    > > remove gloves, partially unwrap and dig around to find it.
    > >

    > Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
    > identity passes made.
    >
    > i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera.

    Then
    > the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
    >
    > So that's a homemade pass then.
    >
    > In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
    > in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
    > experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass

    as
    > 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right

    > shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
    >
    > Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
    > identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and

    happily
    > took the home made work identity card.

    my work ID badge recently went in the wash with my lab coat; to get new one
    I simply went to HR; filled out a form, the receptionist took it off to HR
    person who signed it without even seeing me, hey presto, took form to
    security , had photo taken, got badge. I could have just walked off the
    street.

  15. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    Phil Cook <[email protected]> of hardly any wrote:

    >On 20 Oct 2004 18:02:17 GMT, Roos Eisma wrote:
    >
    >>"Clive George" <[email protected]> writes:
    >>
    >>>" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Ski-lift passes look to be the obvious things. Although I'd probably make
    >>>one with a couple of bits of elastic and a suitable transparent pouch.

    >>If you just have a plastic cover (should be easy enough to find, some of
    >>my cards came with one) then use one of those ski pass things are
    >>sort of like those dogleashes: a plastic round thingy attached to a zipper
    >>or something, when you pull on the card it releases a string and when you
    >>let the card go it the string is rewound in the plastic thingy.
    >>
    >>This is a very inadequate description of something I see very clearly in
    >>my mind. I'm sure there are pictures out there somewhere.

    >Fly fishermen call them zingers.

    Parents call them the things that attach dummies to babies.
    --
    Fatal mouse error. (B)ury or (R)eplace?
    Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid

  16. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Eatmorepies wrote:

    > Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
    > identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and happily
    > took the home made work identity card.

    In early '79 I flew El Al to Tel Aviv Israel with my bike on the same
    day that President Carter was flying to Tel Aviv to meet Menachem Begin
    as part of the Israel/Egypt peace negotiations. I've never experienced
    so much security. The bike was almost stripped down and I was
    'interrogated' as to why I wanted to cycle in Israel - hot, sunny, great
    scenery, being viewed with utmost suspicion.

    My passport was checked but I was told I needed further ID. A passport
    was not sufficient.
    All I had was my tatty YHA card with a sketch cartoon where the picture
    should have been. It was a silly face that had been defaced with beard,
    glasses, scar, the lot.
    The gun-toting security looked at me, looked at the cartoon, hesitated,
    made a phone call then said "OK".

    After all the high security they then went and left my bike propped up
    against a wall at Heathrow :-((

    John B

  17. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Steph Peters [email protected]lid opined the
    following...
    > Parents call them the things that attach dummies to babies.

    Dribble?

    Jon

  18. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Eatmorepies [email protected] opined the following...
    > Two years ago I went with some sixth form students to the USA. Staff had
    > identity passes made.
    >
    > i.e. I had a fellow teacher take a picture of me on the digital camera. Then
    > the IT teacher made up a pass with a facsimile of the Head's signature.
    >
    > So that's a homemade pass then.
    >
    > In the USA (Virginia) the Sniper was killing people so the police were out
    > in force in all schools. Because our students were doing a bit of work
    > experience I had to visit 3 schools - they all accepted my home made pass as
    > 'photographic identity'. These were police people with guns and the right to
    > shoot if I looked a bit sniperish - not joker secrity guards.
    >
    > Three weeks ago I wanted some cash from Lloyds, they asked for some
    > identity, you've guessed it, they refused the various bank cards and happily
    > took the home made work identity card.

    A friend once had to visit a British Militry Base. He had no photo ID
    with him so one of the guards asked

    "Do you have a bank card? That'll be OK as proof of who you are."

    He though about explaining the flaw in their logic, but needed access to
    the base.

    Jon

  19. Sarennah

    Sarennah Guest

    Something strange happened in the college-based manufacture(*) of my
    College card, and that of approx 50 other students, the photograph has
    been replaced by a black box.

    When parcels arrive, I have to argue with TPB to collect them. When I
    try to buy myself lunch from the canteen, I am turned away as a joke.
    College is going to replace the card, it says ....

    Meanwhile, I've used the card as "photo" ID in banks and all sorts of
    places without trouble. Maybe when I finally graduate I'll be clever
    enough to understand ....

    Clear skies
    Sarennah

    (*) IME the College reputation for IT matters is not the best.

  20. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > LOL. Admittedly about 10 years ago, Barclays refused my passport as ID, but
    > accepted an old-style driving licence (without picture!)

    Probably because a passport does not have your address on it.

    --
    Dave...