I'd like input on bike purchase

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mistercindy, Nov 1, 2003.

1. mistercindy

mistercindy New Member

I'm a 43 year old fat white male who needs to remove tonnage. :mad: As a kid, I rode my Schwinn Varsity everywhere. In 1979 I bought a Univega road bike which was much more nimble than the Varsity. I road that Univega a lot: numerous intramural races as well as using it for transportatin. I still have the Univega, but the shifters are on the lower tube, and the modern stuff is so much more nimble. Its amazing how far bikes have come in two decades!:eek:

Some time in my mid to late 20s I stopped riding. I ran a lot, but the knees started to hurt so I stopped. The weight, predictably, balooned, cholesteral went up, etc..., and etc...

Now I'm thinking of riding again. I like and am used to road bikes, but I don't need a racing bike. I need one I won't tire of, and that I can get more aggresive with if I so choose. I've done a fair amount of reading and I think I've narrowed it down to three bikes, all of which are softer riding road bikes:

Cannondale Sport Road 500 ($979)
    Specialized Sequoia ($799)
    Trek 1200C ($749)

I've ridden all three. The Cannondale is by far the better, more responsive ride of the three. I like the Sequoia, but its a bit soft. The Trek, IMHO, is in the middle. My fundamental question is: is this way too much money to spend given my situation? Is a grand worth it for a first bike purchase in 23 years?

Thanks for the input.

Tags:

2. yamaha_mike

yamaha_mike New Member

It's your money, but biking and fitness are about passion so I say feed your passion (so to speak). Get the bike that you want to ride and you'll end up doing just that.

You didn't ask, but maybe join a local club too. There are a few of us middle aged guys around so you might gain some comraderie and that too will make you want to bike.

Have fun!

3. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

What is your health worth? If it leads to a better lifestyle,it will be the best grand you ever spent.If it becomes a garage ornament,you may as well have spent it on beer and pizza. Buy what will motivate you.

4. swimmeronwheels

swimmeronwheels New Member

If you think this is too much ... go read the thread about spending $5000 on a bike way beyond the rider. That should give you some encouragement!!!

good luck!

5. Rudy

Rudy New Member

mistercindy...personally ...a grand is not too much to spend on a quality bike, IMO. And money is all relative. Some of us, a grand is like a life time saving, others, it's just a drop in the bucket. If you can afford it easily then it's not an issue.
    This is for your health, need I say more? And it's also a passion. Ask yourself this question. If you were on the old and heavy schwinn, how long will you ride untill you stop? will the new bike make it more pleasureable of a work out thus leads you to look forward to riding it more? does riding the old schwinn ..feellike a chore?

6. Kevin in KY

Kevin in KY New Member

I'm a little younger, and a little lighter, but also am looking to reduce running in my fitness routine. After putting road slicks on my 12-yr old Schwinn High Plains MTB, I think I'm ready for another bike, this time a road bike.

I'm leaning toward the 2004 GIANT OCR2...vastly upgraded from the 2003 model, and only (yeah right!) $799. I briefly considered flat-bar road bikes, and the Cannondale Road Warrior 800 was leading the way.

I'm anxious to see what happens.

7. Wally

Wally New Member

I have a very similar story. In the spring of 2000 I purchased a TREK 1200 for $959.00 (way too much then but so isnt every thing else in the North East) I also purchased MTB shoes and "clipless" pedadals (way cool no toe straps).
    Once I rode it for the first time, almost 10 whole miles, I had to ask myself "why the heck did I ever stop riding.
    Today I own three bikes a road racer a Time Trial and a commuter bike ( I also weigh 30lbs less) I will be spending more than $1000.00 for a new set of wheels.

My point: just do it man youll never regret it. Just dont ever let life get in the way of living.

good luck,
    Wally

8. Wally

Wally New Member

P.S. I just turned 43 this past summer.

9. Rudy

Rudy New Member

omg wally...lol...I'm just like you. I stop riding because I had to take a job that I traveled all the time...
    Now I just started back and the other day, I had the same thought...why the heck did I stop riding..I'm now building my Kestrel talon..I also have a litespeed Catalyst and a specialized M2 MTB...I'm about to sell one of them..I think the M2 will go