I'd like to begin road riding, have some questions.

One more thing, get clip in's when your ready, it does make a big difference. Don't spend a ton on shoes, they can be ridiculously expensive. I think my Bontragers were $80 - and they are fine.

Have fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by 13MWZ .
Thanks guys. Luckily for me there aren't too many track crossings in the area, but I'll keep an eye out for sure.

Well Volnix, since you started the picture thing, might as well show off mine!

Lookin' good...
wink.png
smile.png

Quote: Originally Posted by 13MWZ .

I have never been a fan of road riding. Infact, I was one of those guys who constantly griped about riders on the road getting in the way. My views have changed quite a bit over the past few months however after taking my mountain bike on a few short (5 and 10 mile rides) rides on wide sholdered roads. I now understand what draws yall to it! My deepest appologies to those riders who I have speed past, cut off, honked at, yelled at, and been an all around jerk to while on the road. I hope karma will be nice to me......

I'm no expert but I do believe I've possibly just seen karma restored in a single post. The modern alu frame is highly underrated and the new Allez is a sweet bike. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: losthobo
Quote: Originally Posted by gs12 .
One more thing, get clip in's when your ready, it does make a big difference. Don't spend a ton on shoes, they can be ridiculously expensive. I think my Bontragers were $80 - and they are fine.

Have fun!

Good point. Initially my plan was to just get out and ride. Give myself time to get the feel of the bike and riding before spending money on any extras. After a few rides I have already noticed a few things, but they should be addressed next week at my actual fitting (we did a quickie fit when I picked it up and I was told to ride for a couple weeks before doing the "real" fitting). I was surprised how quickly I felt comfortable on the bike, as in I felt in control. Which was what was keeping me from getting clips off the bat. I think I'll be picking some up very soon.

FYI, I think what you're discussing are clipless pedals, i.e. pedals which work much like a ski binding. A cleat on the bottom of your shoe snaps into the pedal. Pedal clips refer to an older kind of retention device, a metal piece fastened to the front of the pedal which bends over the shoe and has straps through it which hold the foot in place (sometimes along with a cleat).