ID Phil Wood BB?

Brian Plaugher

Guest
Bought a used bike with a phil wood bottom bracket; is there a way, short of pulling the thing off,
to determine which Phil model it is? TIA Brian Plaugher

"Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bought a used bike with a phil wood bottom bracket; is there a way, short of pulling the thing
> off, to determine which Phil model it is?

Phil makes quite a range of sizes! The BB itself is either the normal Phil BB or one of his two
titanium models. Is it titanium? If so you may need to remove it to know if it is the titanium model
with an aluminum case or the heat-treated titanium model with a magnesium case ( 137 vs 135grams no
kidding. That matters to somebody apparently)

See if the taper starts at about 12.5mm ( Euro standard; Campagnolo) or more like 13mm ( the newer
Shimano type) Taper is the same, Shimano just starts at a larger point. Or, if a crank is installed,
what crank is it?

Using the depth gauge of your caliper, see if the spindle sticks out the same on both sides from the
edge of the bearing, i.e., is it symmetric? How long is it?

If a crank is installed, then you of course know all you need to know by looking up that crank's
recommended BB spec!

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote, regarding my Phil ID question:
> The BB itself is either the normal Phil BB or one of his two titanium models. Is it titanium?
Ah, and how does one tell if it is titanium? Brian

>>The BB itself is either the normal Phil BB or one of his two titanium models. Is it titanium?
>
> Ah, and how does one tell if it is titanium?

With a magnet. If it's attracted to a normal iron/steel magnet, it's steel.

The titanium axles are not attracted to conventional magnets, only to titanium magnets.

If you use a titanium magnet, it won't be attracted to a steel spindle.

However, titanium magnets are very rare and expensive...even a small one costs more than 2 or 3 Phil
Wood bottom brackets, so any magnet you have around will likely be the ironical variety.

Carapace Completed Umber,

using my time machine to communicate from tomorrow back to today.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> >>The BB itself is either the normal Phil BB or one of his two titanium models. Is it titanium?
> >
> > Ah, and how does one tell if it is titanium?
>
> With a magnet. If it's attracted to a normal iron/steel magnet, it's steel.
>
> The titanium axles are not attracted to conventional magnets, only to titanium magnets.
>
> If you use a titanium magnet, it won't be attracted to a steel spindle.
>
> However, titanium magnets are very rare and expensive...even a small one costs more than 2 or 3
> Phil Wood bottom brackets, so any magnet you have around will likely be the ironical variety.
>
> Carapace Completed Umber,
>
> using my time machine to communicate from tomorrow back to today.

Damn, who slipped the iron into your Wheaties this morning?

Sam