Idea for a really fun "race"

John G

Guest
A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several mile
trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a glimps
of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.

Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop... All
you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.

You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
would be crazy enough to do it.

What do you think?

Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

John G wrote:
> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>
> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>
> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

costume prizes.

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:42:45 +0000, John G did issue forth:

> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.

Who's this for? People who think that SS isn't retro enough?

All the single speeders will be scrambling for the latest trend; z(ero)-speed will be the rage.
Screw all those complicated chainlinks, freewheels, and crankarms. Just coast. Pedals, who needs em?
Just put pegs in the BB. Full circle back to the velocipede.

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>
> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>
> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

I won the townie division of the Crested Butte Fat Tire Bike Week chainless
DH. They were also encouraging costumes. I came as a drunk. The prize was a case of beer. It was
great but I ended up calling in sick to work the next day.

Matt

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>
> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>
> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

I had a brilliant idea for a trials comp...speed fire trials. Light all the obstacles on fire and
see who can complete them the fastest. The problem is that you have to have a fresh supply of
obstacles to light on fire for all the riders. My idea has not gone over so well, something being
mentioned about burning the riders or being sadistically cruel, or something like that...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

**** wrote:
> All the single speeders will be scrambling for the latest trend; z(ero)-speed will be the rage.
> Screw all those complicated chainlinks, freewheels, and crankarms. Just coast. Pedals, who needs
> em? Just put pegs in the BB. Full circle back to the velocipede.

Prety much right on target, there!

MattB wrote:
> "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
>>mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
>>glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>>
>>Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
>>All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>>
>>You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
>>would be crazy enough to do it.
>>
>>What do you think?
>>
>>Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".
>>

> I won the townie division of the Crested Butte Fat Tire Bike Week chainless
> DH. They were also encouraging costumes. I came as a drunk. The prize was a case of beer. It was
> great but I ended up calling in sick to work the next day.

Ohh... ohhh.. ohhh, I got it! Entrance fee: 1 bottle of beer Grand Prize: the beer collected huh,
huh? whachya think? am I getting warm?

Carla A-G wrote:
> I had a brilliant idea for a trials comp...speed fire trials. Light all the obstacles on fire and
> see who can complete them the fastest.

SCHWEEEEEET!

> The problem is that you have to have a fresh supply of obstacles to light on fire for all
> the riders.

Simply resolved: Make all the obstacles out of steel, doused w/ Zippo lighter fluid or smeared with
Sterno, etc.

> My idea has not gone over so well, something being mentioned about burning the riders or being
> sadistically cruel, or something like that...

Again, simply resolved: http://www.channelsupplies.com/nomex.htm Coveralls made with 4.5OZ Dupont™
NOMEX® IIIA BRAND FIBERS (Small - XLarge) $86.50

I like the way you think, Pixie Girl!-)

> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>
> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>
> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.

How about for road bikes?!?

> What do you think?
>
> Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> MattB wrote:
> > "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> >>mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> >>glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
> >>
> >>Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> >>All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
> >>
> >>You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks
> >>that would be crazy enough to do it.
> >>
> >>What do you think?
> >>
> >>Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".
> >>

> > I won the townie division of the Crested Butte Fat Tire Bike Week
chainless
> > DH. They were also encouraging costumes. I came as a drunk. The prize
was a
> > case of beer. It was great but I ended up calling in sick to work the
next
> > day.
>
> Ohh... ohhh.. ohhh, I got it! Entrance fee: 1 bottle of beer Grand Prize: the beer collected huh,
> huh? whachya think? am I getting warm?

Yes, but hopefully the beer isn't. ;^)

They used to have a "Six Pack" DH here in VA. A six was the entry fee and it was divvied up
as prizes.

Mike

David L wrote:
> "John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
>>mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
>>glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>>
>>Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
>>All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>>
>>You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
>>would be crazy enough to do it.

> How about for road bikes?!?

Hmmmm.... sorta like a "Chainless CycloCross"

I'll need to go over Todd's house tonight and see what creation of his he has on tap (good friend to
have.... Mgr. of LBS and always has a minimun of two home brews on tap in the basement at any time
;-) and we'll have to ponder this notion while we get the shifting dialed in on my Beer'Cross.....
add a mandatory one pint per lap, yeah........ ohh I like this!!!!!! <evil grin

Wasn't that the same day my brakes broke? How about a ten mile loop with no brakes, covered in blood
and hydraulic fluid? You can walk the uphills, and I'll walk the downhills. Paul

John G wrote:

> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>
> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>
> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

John G <[email protected]> wrote:
> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.

> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.

> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.

> What do you think?

> Got any ideas on what to add to really "make it".

Obviously you would want a light bike for this since all those gears, etc would just hold you back.
That gives me a great idea for a new cross-country sport. It's like hike-a-bike, but why not just
leave the bike at home (or the trailhead). Participants will wear special shoes designed for moving
fast and taking impact in the hike(-a-non-existent-bike) sections. This sounds way cool. I bet some
people will be able to go even faster than hiking - we can call it "running." Yeah, just think,
cross-country _running_. You're a genius, man!

kayak777 wrote:
> Wasn't that the same day my brakes broke?

AhhhhAHaaa Haaaaa... Yes Indeed it WAS!

> How about a ten mile loop with no brakes, covered in blood and hydraulic fluid?

Throw in "no chain" and you got yourself a REAL MAN'S event.

No need to start out covered in blood that'll happen on it's own.

> You can walk the uphills, and I'll walk the downhills.

No.... just _coast_ down. can you imagine coming down Catamount or Podunk, with no brakes

to quote the best ski- movie ever made: "What the fsck a Chinese Downhill"

John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> A "seed" was planted the day my DT-Swiss Onyx hub's pawls disintergrated leaving with a several
> mile trek out of hte woods.... Then watching OLN (aka "fertilizer") a few months ago, provided a
> glimps of an idea when I saw short clip a "Chainless Downhill" event.
>
> Add some moisure (drink a few beers) and get the wild idea for "Chainless XC" a 10 mile loop...
> All you get is hike(run)-a-bike and coasting.
>
> You see where I'm heading with this? Sounds crazy? Sure does! But I bet there are enogh folks that
> would be crazy enough to do it.
>
> What do you think?

I did a forced chainless off of Poison Spider Mesa once on the BFD28. Damn shitmano freehubs (damn
the OEM Onyx freehubs as well). It was interesting to say the least, but not something I would
consider "fun".

JD

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote

> I had a brilliant idea for a trials comp...speed fire trials. Light all the obstacles on fire and
> see who can complete them the fastest.

You'e not thinking big enough, Carla. How about "Fire Freeriding"?

You light the rider on fire...

CC

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > I had a brilliant idea for a trials comp...speed fire trials. Light all
the
> > obstacles on fire and see who can complete them the fastest.
>
> You'e not thinking big enough, Carla. How about "Fire Freeriding"?
>
> You light the rider on fire...

Put a big ass jump into a lake at the bottom of the hill, quickest rider down suffers the least
third degree burns.. sounds great, where do I sign up..

Steve E.

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
> add a mandatory one pint per lap, yeah........ ohh I like this!!!!!! <evil grin>

I think this would increase the puking factor of your standard cyclocross race by at least two!

Matt (maybe have your BBQ going too to cover up the smell)

they did chainless down hill races at the Red Kite Festivals i went to - it was carnage, first one
went from an open sunny field to a dark enclosed wood - 50% of the riders didn't see the big hole
until it was too late, second one had various people attempting to get an advantage by taking ruck
sacks with tents in them, on the last one i saw the local vicar got totalled when some one lost it
on the finish line

tip for winning a chainless down hill - use a tandem, worked for us :)