Idea For An App - Would Cyclists Find This Useful?

willemmuller

Jun 5, 2015
Hi Cyclists

I'm working on an app that lets callers know where you are when can't take their call. It answers the "where are you" question so you can focus on the road.
Is this something that you feel would be useful as a cyclist?

Willem

Interesting.
So it uses GPS and auto replies via a text with your geographical coordinates?
Or does it produce a voice that says your location?

There's already an app that lets the user track a cell phone. My wife has used it to track me on a ride. As long as your phone is on, and has GPS enabled, this app can track it.

The app presents callers with an alternative voicemail greeting "Press 1 to leave a message, 2 for my location". For cellphone callers location requests are sent to the caller via SMS with a link they can click on that opens on a map. For landline callers it talks the location over the call (which is not as effective, but better than nothing).

@mpre53 - there's loads of tracking apps, but my unique twist was to do it via a call. Although I'm still researching if that has any value in the real world....

That seems like a good take on the idea.
I could see people using that one, or even if you add in other features that can communicate other information.

Thanks for the feedback folks - all very valuable to me.

The feature is generally useful in everyday situations like when you're driving and you girlfriend calls.

But I'm trying to figure out if there's any particular usefulness for the cycling community.

That sounds like a great idea. I love the idea of it when my husband is out cycling so if he's late getting home I know where he is and if he's safe.

I would not use this. It sounds good on the surface, but it could be used by a stalker and someone could end up in danger before they realized what was happening. It's not always hard for a stalker to obtain your phone number. If you are not aware this has happened, or even know for sure you are being stalked, you may use this app not realizing the danger to yourself.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Personally, I am not interested in this kind of an app and I probably won't use it. As a woman though, I can see it maybe begin useful for when a woman is in a bad situation but I think there are other apps out there that already help with that kind of situation. Anyway, people don't need to know where I am or what I'm doing when I don't pick up the phone. If anyone is freaking out over me not picking up right away and it is not an emergency then they need to calm down.

DancingLady said:
I would not use this. It sounds good on the surface, but it could be used by a stalker and someone could end up in danger before they realized what was happening. It's not always hard for a stalker to obtain your phone number. If you are not aware this has happened, or even know for sure you are being stalked, you may use this app not realizing the danger to yourself.
I never though of this but that is a very valid concern.
Would the app be able to tell you when It gives out information?
Could you set it only give out information to certain #'s?

As long as everyone can't get my GPS digits by simply dealing my number, then maybe. Even then, I rarely find myself in situations where I really need anyone to know my current geographical location.

I agree with others that while it sounds good on the surface there are a lot of complications that could arise from an app like that. People would have to choose carefully if they are really willing to do let someone press a button and know their location; I think a lot of thought would have to be put into how it would work, if only specific contacts are able to use the feature when calling, etc.

As someone who has had a huge degree of trouble with someone for posting my personal information online I would be very uncomfortable using this app, personally. It isn't one that I would use unless there was a safety feature that allowed you to select only certain contacts that can learn your location.