Idea for west London ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and ride
    under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No maps, no
    route planning, no looking at signs. Just follow the planes!

    The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
    traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many jumbos
    flying that low, directly above, gradually getting towards
    roof-scraping height - an experience that you can't get from
    a car/bus/train, and walking it would be too much. Can't be
    so nice for the residents... but that's another subject.

    Take detours down some of the side streets to get a better
    (surreal) view along the way then return to the main roads
    when necessary. There is a parallel road disturbingly close
    to the landing runway so you can watch the landings side-on.
    Those under 6'2" will need something to stand on as a crash
    barrier in the fencing obscures most of the view (very small
    children may be able to see under it....or adults lying
    down, but you will look strange!).

    ~PB

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
    > traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many
    > jumbos flying that low, directly above, gradually getting
    > towards roof-scraping height - an experience that you
    > can't get from a car/bus/train, and walking it would be
    > too much. Can't be so nice for the residents... but that's
    > another subject.

    Back in my days as a Penniless Student Oaf, I lived in
    Hamlet Gardnes, next to Ravenscourt Park. We had hours,
    well, alright, minutes of fun that summer watching the
    tennis from Queens Club. Every couple of minutes Dan Maskell
    would be drowned out by some infernal machine which would
    then duly pass overhead very shortly afterwards.

    With that and the presence of the District and Piccadilly
    lines a few feet from the kitchen window, it's little wonder
    that I only have a temperature and not a degree...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  3. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:27:18 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

    > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    > maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    > follow the planes!

    The Barnes Wetlands centre is well worth a visit. They have
    tip-top cycle parking - metal cages which you secure using
    your own lock.

  4. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:30:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Back in my days as a Penniless Student Oaf, I lived in
    > Hamlet Gardnes, next to Ravenscourt Park.

    Did you go to IC?

    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "A modest little person,
    with much to be modest about."- Winston Churchill

  5. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >> Did you go to IC?
    >
    > Guilty...

    When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "They never open their
    mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge."

  6. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    > maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    > follow the planes!

    I used to live in Hayes and often rode around the perimeter
    road of the airport. I really enjoyed looking at the planes
    and had to stop on more than one occasion at the level
    crossing near Hatton Cross while they tugged Concorde or a
    747 across the road. Still prefer being in The North though.

  7. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    >> Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >>> Did you go to IC?
    >>
    >> Guilty...
    >
    > When? I was 1980-83. Physics.

    I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to do
    physics at that the same time as you.

    Colin
    --

  8. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington
    >> wrote:

    >>> Guilty...
    >>
    >> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
    >
    > I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to
    > do physics at that the same time as you.
    >
    > Colin

    My brother did Physics in Leicester those years !

  9. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:02:13 -0000, Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington
    >> wrote:

    >>> Guilty...
    >>
    >> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
    >
    > I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to
    > do physics at that the same time as you.

    Did you hear the Now Show version of University Challenge
    on Friday?

    Bonus questions for IC.

    Paxman (P). What is a woman?
    IC. Errr. Don't know.

    J. Where would you find a woman?
    JA. Errr, don't know.
    K. Not in _your_ room.

    It was so close to the truth. I should have known better
    before going there. I'd had an interview at Queen Elizabeth
    College which used to be just a short distance away off High
    St Kensington. The students and lecturers there referred to
    IC as 'Kensington Poly'. Studying there was an existence,
    not an experience. Thankfully, like Purgatory, it was a
    temporary condition of torment and suffering.

    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly
    wonderful evening. But this wasn't

  10. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    > maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    > follow the planes!

    I used to ride round the Outer Circle bus route (aka the
    A4040 - about 32 miles) in Birmingham every Sunday morning.
    Getting buzzed by 11A buses [1] probably isn't as exciting
    though ;-)

    [1] it's 11C buses if you go the other way, but the hills
    are sharper that way, and there are lots of risky RH
    turns. So I always went anti-clockwise.

  11. In news:[email protected],
    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> typed:
    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >
    >> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    >> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No maps,
    >> no route planning, no looking at signs. Just follow the
    >> planes!
    >
    > I used to ride round the Outer Circle bus route (aka the
    > A4040 - about 32 miles) in Birmingham every Sunday
    > morning. Getting buzzed by 11A buses [1] probably isn't as
    > exciting though ;-)
    >
    > [1] it's 11C buses if you go the other way, but the hills
    > are sharper that way, and there are lots of risky RH
    > turns. So I always went anti-clockwise.

    Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to do
    the Walkathon.

  12. On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:13:35 -0000, in
    <[email protected]>, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In news:[email protected], Zog The Undeniable
    ><[email protected]> typed:
    >> Pete Biggs wrote:
    >>
    >>> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    >>> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    >>> maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    >>> follow the planes!
    >>
    >> I used to ride round the Outer Circle bus route (aka the
    >> A4040 - about 32 miles) in Birmingham every Sunday
    >> morning. Getting buzzed by 11A buses [1] probably isn't
    >> as exciting though ;-)
    >>
    >> [1] it's 11C buses if you go the other way, but the hills
    >> are sharper that way, and there are lots of risky RH
    >> turns. So I always went anti-clockwise.
    >
    >Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to do
    >the Walkathon.

    I remember doing it in 1983(?) dressed up as the Pied Piper
    (No, Helen, I won't send jpgs).

    It's further going clockwise since you are on the outer edge
    of the circle (assuming no one way systems).

    --
    DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
    appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything

  13. In news:[email protected],
    Richard Bates <[email protected]> typed:
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:13:35 -0000, in <[email protected]
    > berlin.de>, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to
    >> do the Walkathon.
    >
    > I remember doing it in 1983(?) dressed up as the Pied
    > Piper (No, Helen, I won't send jpgs).
    >
    > It's further going clockwise since you are on the outer
    > edge of the circle (assuming no one way systems).

    There's a dog-leg at Selly Oak triangle going anti-clockwise
    that might add a little. Maybe

  14. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:39:14 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:27:18 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
    >
    >> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    >> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No maps,
    >> no route planning, no looking at signs. Just follow the
    >> planes!
    >>
    > The Barnes Wetlands centre is well worth a visit. They
    > have tip-top cycle parking - metal cages which you secure
    > using your own lock.

    and nice staff. One came out the other day to check I was
    okay, I was sat on their bus stop bench fixing a puncture
    (or 3 as it turned out to be)

    Steve

  15. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote

    > The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
    > traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many
    > jumbos flying that low, directly above, gradually getting
    > towards roof-scraping height - an experience that you
    > can't get from a car/bus/train, and walking it would be
    > too much. Can't be so nice for the residents... but that's
    > another subject.

    The offroad version of my Monday morning commute goes
    through some woods bordering the end of Bristol Airport
    runway which is quite an odd experience in the dark. One
    minute you're cycling along in tune with nature, just the
    hoot of an owl and the odd badger for company and the next
    you're deafened by the huge roar of a jet engine taking
    off and a whacking great plane skimming the trees above
    your head.

  16. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    > maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    > follow the planes!

    Spent most of last few months of last year cycling up to
    Heathrow to see Concorde. Went every flight I could. Great
    fun. Even got into the "concorde spotters" corner in the
    pub. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that. ;)

  17. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    > > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    > > maps, no route planning, no
    looking
    > > at signs. Just follow the planes!
    >
    > Spent most of last few months of last year cycling up to
    > Heathrow to see Concorde. Went every flight I could. Great
    > fun. Even got into the
    "concorde
    > spotters" corner in the pub. Maybe I shouldn't have
    > admitted that. ;)

    Oh, and I also put my bloody back out the night before the
    final arrivals. Had two grandstand tickets to see it as
    well. Ended up selling them on Ebay for £400 cash, so can't
    complain. Paid for many weeks of beer :)

  18. Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    >> Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >>> Did you go to IC?
    >>
    >> Guilty...
    >
    > When? I was 1980-83. Physics.

    82-85, Mech. Eng.

    <ob_bikey_bit>
    Mr. Velovision Editor Peter Eland is ex-IC Mech. Eng. too.
    </ob_bikey_bit>

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  19. Daren Austin

    Daren Austin Guest

    Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:02:13 -0000, Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
    > >
    > > I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to
    > > do physics at that the same time as you.
    > >

    > Did you hear the Now Show version of University Challenge
    > on Friday?
    >
    > Bonus questions for IC.
    >
    > Paxman (P). What is a woman?
    > IC. Errr. Don't know.

    > P. Where would you find a woman?
    > IC. Errr, don't know.
    > P. Not in _your_ room.

    Should have doen Applied Biology or hung around Beit Quad at
    lunchtimes...My wife and I have 12 years at said college,

    Kind regards,

    Daren Physics/Chemistry 1985-1992