Idea for west London ride

Pete Biggs

Guest
On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and ride
under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No maps, no
route planning, no looking at signs. Just follow the planes!

The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many jumbos
flying that low, directly above, gradually getting towards
roof-scraping height - an experience that you can't get from
a car/bus/train, and walking it would be too much. Can't be
so nice for the residents... but that's another subject.

Take detours down some of the side streets to get a better
(surreal) view along the way then return to the main roads
when necessary. There is a parallel road disturbingly close
to the landing runway so you can watch the landings side-on.
Those under 6'2" will need something to stand on as a crash
barrier in the fencing obscures most of the view (very small
children may be able to see under it....or adults lying
down, but you will look strange!).

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
> traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many
> jumbos flying that low, directly above, gradually getting
> towards roof-scraping height - an experience that you
> can't get from a car/bus/train, and walking it would be
> too much. Can't be so nice for the residents... but that's
> another subject.

Back in my days as a Penniless Student Oaf, I lived in
Hamlet Gardnes, next to Ravenscourt Park. We had hours,
well, alright, minutes of fun that summer watching the
tennis from Queens Club. Every couple of minutes Dan Maskell
would be drowned out by some infernal machine which would
then duly pass overhead very shortly afterwards.

With that and the presence of the District and Piccadilly
lines a few feet from the kitchen window, it's little wonder
that I only have a temperature and not a degree...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:27:18 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
> maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
> follow the planes!

The Barnes Wetlands centre is well worth a visit. They have
tip-top cycle parking - metal cages which you secure using
your own lock.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:30:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

> Back in my days as a Penniless Student Oaf, I lived in
> Hamlet Gardnes, next to Ravenscourt Park.

Did you go to IC?

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "A modest little person,
with much to be modest about."- Winston Churchill

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

> Michael MacClancy wrote:
>> Did you go to IC?
>
> Guilty...

When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "They never open their
mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge."

Pete Biggs wrote:
> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
> maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
> follow the planes!

I used to live in Hayes and often rode around the perimeter
road of the airport. I really enjoyed looking at the planes
and had to stop on more than one occasion at the level
crossing near Hatton Cross while they tugged Concorde or a
747 across the road. Still prefer being in The North though.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> Michael MacClancy wrote:
>>> Did you go to IC?
>>
>> Guilty...
>
> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.

I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to do
physics at that the same time as you.

Colin
--

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington
>> wrote:

>>> Guilty...
>>
>> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
>
> I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to
> do physics at that the same time as you.
>
> Colin

My brother did Physics in Leicester those years !

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:02:13 -0000, Colin Blackburn wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington
>> wrote:

>>> Guilty...
>>
>> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
>
> I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to
> do physics at that the same time as you.

Did you hear the Now Show version of University Challenge
on Friday?

Bonus questions for IC.

Paxman (P). What is a woman?
IC. Errr. Don't know.

J. Where would you find a woman?
JA. Errr, don't know.
K. Not in _your_ room.

It was so close to the truth. I should have known better
before going there. I'd had an interview at Queen Elizabeth
College which used to be just a short distance away off High
St Kensington. The students and lecturers there referred to
IC as 'Kensington Poly'. Studying there was an existence,
not an experience. Thankfully, like Purgatory, it was a
temporary condition of torment and suffering.

--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I've had a perfectly
wonderful evening. But this wasn't

Pete Biggs wrote:

> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
> maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
> follow the planes!

I used to ride round the Outer Circle bus route (aka the
A4040 - about 32 miles) in Birmingham every Sunday morning.
Getting buzzed by 11A buses [1] probably isn't as exciting
though ;-)

[1] it's 11C buses if you go the other way, but the hills
are sharper that way, and there are lots of risky RH
turns. So I always went anti-clockwise.

In news:405894cd.0@entanet,
Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> typed:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
>> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No maps,
>> no route planning, no looking at signs. Just follow the
>> planes!
>
> I used to ride round the Outer Circle bus route (aka the
> A4040 - about 32 miles) in Birmingham every Sunday
> morning. Getting buzzed by 11A buses [1] probably isn't as
> exciting though ;-)
>
> [1] it's 11C buses if you go the other way, but the hills
> are sharper that way, and there are lots of risky RH
> turns. So I always went anti-clockwise.

Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to do
the Walkathon.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:13:35 -0000, in
<[email protected]>, "Ambrose Nankivell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In news:405894cd.0@entanet, Zog The Undeniable
><[email protected]> typed:
>> Pete Biggs wrote:
>>
>>> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
>>> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
>>> maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
>>> follow the planes!
>>
>> I used to ride round the Outer Circle bus route (aka the
>> A4040 - about 32 miles) in Birmingham every Sunday
>> morning. Getting buzzed by 11A buses [1] probably isn't
>> as exciting though ;-)
>>
>> [1] it's 11C buses if you go the other way, but the hills
>> are sharper that way, and there are lots of risky RH
>> turns. So I always went anti-clockwise.
>
>Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to do
>the Walkathon.

I remember doing it in 1983(?) dressed up as the Pied Piper
(No, Helen, I won't send jpgs).

It's further going clockwise since you are on the outer edge
of the circle (assuming no one way systems).

--
DISCLAIMER: My email box is private property.Email which
appears in my inbox is mine to do what I like with. Anything

In news:[email protected],
Richard Bates <[email protected]> typed:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:13:35 -0000, in <[email protected]
> berlin.de>, "Ambrose Nankivell"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to
>> do the Walkathon.
>
> I remember doing it in 1983(?) dressed up as the Pied
> Piper (No, Helen, I won't send jpgs).
>
> It's further going clockwise since you are on the outer
> edge of the circle (assuming no one way systems).

There's a dog-leg at Selly Oak triangle going anti-clockwise
that might add a little. Maybe

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:39:14 +0000, John Hearns wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:27:18 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
>> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No maps,
>> no route planning, no looking at signs. Just follow the
>> planes!
>>
> The Barnes Wetlands centre is well worth a visit. They
> have tip-top cycle parking - metal cages which you secure
> using your own lock.

and nice staff. One came out the other day to check I was
okay, I was sat on their bus stop bench fixing a puncture
(or 3 as it turned out to be)

Steve

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote

> The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
> traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many
> jumbos flying that low, directly above, gradually getting
> towards roof-scraping height - an experience that you
> can't get from a car/bus/train, and walking it would be
> too much. Can't be so nice for the residents... but that's
> another subject.

The offroad version of my Monday morning commute goes
through some woods bordering the end of Bristol Airport
runway which is quite an odd experience in the dark. One
minute you're cycling along in tune with nature, just the
hoot of an owl and the odd badger for company and the next
you're deafened by the huge roar of a jet engine taking
off and a whacking great plane skimming the trees above
your head.

"Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
> ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
> maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
> follow the planes!

Spent most of last few months of last year cycling up to
Heathrow to see Concorde. Went every flight I could. Great
fun. Even got into the "concorde spotters" corner in the
pub. Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that. ;)

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
> > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
> > maps, no route planning, no
looking
> > at signs. Just follow the planes!
>
> Spent most of last few months of last year cycling up to
> Heathrow to see Concorde. Went every flight I could. Great
> fun. Even got into the
"concorde
> spotters" corner in the pub. Maybe I shouldn't have
> admitted that. ;)

Oh, and I also put my bloody back out the night before the
final arrivals. Had two grandstand tickets to see it as
well. Ended up selling them on Ebay for £400 cash, so can't
complain. Paid for many weeks of beer :)

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:51:15 -0000, Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>> Michael MacClancy wrote:
>>> Did you go to IC?
>>
>> Guilty...
>
> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.

82-85, Mech. Eng.

<ob_bikey_bit>
Mr. Velovision Editor Peter Eland is ex-IC Mech. Eng. too.
</ob_bikey_bit>

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 17:02:13 -0000, Colin Blackburn wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:57:15 +0000, Michael MacClancy
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> When? I was 1980-83. Physics.
> >
> > I had an offer from IC but went to Manchester instead to
> > do physics at that the same time as you.
> >

> Did you hear the Now Show version of University Challenge
> on Friday?
>
> Bonus questions for IC.
>
> Paxman (P). What is a woman?
> IC. Errr. Don't know.

> P. Where would you find a woman?
> IC. Errr, don't know.
> P. Not in _your_ room.

Should have doen Applied Biology or hung around Beit Quad at
lunchtimes...My wife and I have 12 years at said college,

Kind regards,

Daren Physics/Chemistry 1985-1992