Idea for west London ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

    > Urm, it's 25 miles if BRMB were right when they used to do
    > the Walkathon.

    Ah..so that's why it only took 90 minutes (including traffic
    lights etc). I thought I was really fast as well :-(

  2. You put me in mind of that rather homoerotic passage in T.E.
    Lawrence's _The Mint_ where he races a biplane from the
    ground on his motorcycle.

    Not that I'm advocating motorcycles - nasty smelly things.
    Real men race planes on their bikes.

    Elisa Francesca Roselli Ile de France

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    > ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    > maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    > follow the planes!
    >
    > The actual cycling isn't great in terms of the roads &
    > traffic, but it's wonderful too see and hear so many
    > jumbos flying that low, directly above, gradually getting
    > towards roof-scraping height - an experience that you
    > can't get from a car/bus/train, and walking it would be
    > too much. Can't be so nice for the residents... but that's
    > another subject.
    >
    > Take detours down some of the side streets to get a better
    > (surreal) view along the way then return to the main roads
    > when necessary. There is a parallel road disturbingly
    > close to the landing runway so you can watch the landings
    > side-on. Those under 6'2" will need something to stand on
    > as a crash barrier in the fencing obscures most of the
    > view (very small children may be able to see under
    > it....or adults lying down, but you will look strange!).
    >
    > ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    > You put me in mind of that rather homoerotic passage in
    > T.E. Lawrence's _The Mint_ where he races a biplane from
    > the ground on his motorcycle.

    I only race female pilots :)

    > Not that I'm advocating motorcycles - nasty smelly things.
    > Real men race planes on their bikes.

    Thanks Elisa. Nice reply.

    cheers ~PB

  4. Simon Geller

    Simon Geller Guest

    > Pete Biggs wrote:
    >

    >>On a sunny afternoon, go to Barnes or thereabouts and
    >>ride under the aeroplane flightpath to Heathrow. No
    >>maps, no route planning, no looking at signs. Just
    >>follow the planes!

    Apologies if I've missed some of this thread and it's been
    mentioned alredy, but NCN route 4 which effectively starts
    at Cheyney Wharf down Chelsea way is a nice stress-free
    conveniently singposted meander through West london and also
    allows you to look at the planes,

    Simon