Ideal Bike

COLOUREDCOAT

Mar 19, 2008
Hi all,
Last year I bought a cheap mountain bike to potter around with the kids, bad mistake!!! I've now been bitten by the bug and need a decent bike.
What i'm looking for is something to ride on the road, I intend to take part in charity rides and audax events. Ideally I'm looking for something that will be comfortable to ride for 5 or 6 hours that will take mudguards, so not really a thorobred racer. I've been to a bike shop recently and they pointed me in the direction of a specialized tricross sport but I've read bad reports about their juddering when the front brake is applied. I intend to buy it through cyclescheme so I'm a bit limited to what shops I can use, bike manufacturers stocked by my local shops are giant, dawes, trek, and specialized. I should mention that I can spend up to £800 and I would prefer drop bars, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

If you are willing to accept a smaller wheel size consider a folding bike, they are easier to transport and store:

Strida.com 16" wheels give a rough ride, only for use on smooth roads. Best bike in the world for commuting on busses and trains. Best bike for neighborhood shoping. I have done 40 mi on my Strida 3. I do dismount on very steep hills.

16" Brompton is likely outside your price range.

18" Birdy has a full suspention system. Finding 18" tires and tubes can be challenging.

20" Xooter.com Swift is as close to a full sized bike feel as you can get with a small wheeled bike.

16"-26" Dahon is the largest maker of folding bikes and has a wide range of wheel sizes. Consider the Dahon Mu.

As to comfort consider buying a more suitable saddle, and possibly a suspension seat post.

COLOUREDCOAT said:
Hi all,
Last year I bought a cheap mountain bike to potter around with the kids, bad mistake!!! I've now been bitten by the bug and need a decent bike.
What i'm looking for is something to ride on the road, I intend to take part in charity rides and audax events. Ideally I'm looking for something that will be comfortable to ride for 5 or 6 hours that will take mudguards, so not really a thorobred racer. I've been to a bike shop recently and they pointed me in the direction of a specialized tricross sport but I've read bad reports about their juddering when the front brake is applied. I intend to buy it through cyclescheme so I'm a bit limited to what shops I can use, bike manufacturers stocked by my local shops are giant, dawes, trek, and specialized. I should mention that I can spend up to £800 and I would prefer drop bars, any suggestion would be greatly appreciated