Ideal Convenient "Small" Cycling Carry Bag for a day-trip

On Dec 10, 6:29 pm, zzapper <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I want something to carry say a sandwich,letters, chequebook etc for a
> day trip.
> I do have a small rucksack but find it awkward to take on and off, so
> often I just use a supermarket plastic bag.
> My wife bought me some complicated multi-strap cycling bag which I
> couldn't work out.
>
> I think I want something which attachs to me rather than the bike.
>
> Suggestions please (and if possible a hyperlink)

I use something this sort of size for any 'ride' (i.e. not a trip to
work or to the shops).
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/2...xo9xNCjCviSnniNxCjCtff5ccctbLwypwzklgBFniiIin

The front pocket on mine is smaller that on this one but it's big
enough for mobile, wallet, keys, camera, spare lights/batteries etc.
The full size compartment is more than big enough for a couple of
innertubes and a small bag of tools plus sandwiches (6 slices fitted
in no problem). On top of that there's still space for the hydration
pack (2 litre), there's a waterproof cover which scrunches up into a
hole in the bottom of the bag and a stringy bit that is ideal for
shoving maps in. In the winter I don't really need the hydration pack
as I find it easier to just take a big bottle of juice so that gives
you more space if needed.

I once managed to fit in a pair of cycling shoes and pedals from Lidl
when I was passing while on a ride.

Not bad for something which I found in Aldi for £8 a few years ago....

peter

Rob Morley wrote:
> Squashed sweaty letters make a really good impression. Squashed sweaty
> sandwiches are extra yummy (but not as good as bananas that you've sat
> on).

Do you ride a recumbent? Sweaty I can understand, but I'm at a loss to
see how you'd squash an envelope in the back pocket while on an upright
bicycle.

I agree you might not want to stick a sandwich in there, though

-dan

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:
> > Squashed sweaty letters make a really good impression. Squashed sweaty
> > sandwiches are extra yummy (but not as good as bananas that you've sat
> > on).

> Do you ride a recumbent? Sweaty I can understand, but I'm at a loss to
> see how you'd squash an envelope in the back pocket while on an upright
> bicycle.

It's likely to get squashed if it's jammed in with hat, gloves,
sunglasses, wallet, phone, arm warmers ...

"Pete Biggs" > Steve Watkin wrote:
>> What about a small courier bag like the ones on this page
>> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=550

> For shopping or parcel delivery, maybe, but for a day trip? No.

Dunno, I find the courier bag more comfortable than the back pack but I'd
rather not use either for a long ride. Better to put the weight on the bike.
Think it depends how much weight is in the bag. Keep it light and it's fine.
The other deciding factor for me is that my courier bag is the only
completely waterproof luggage I have so if it looks like rain and I'm
carrying some thing susceptible to the wet it's the only choice. I've got
one of these http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=zipcity but
it's not so good in the summer because your back can get sweaty.

SW

> You started being snotty with "Ever heard of plastic bags?" - if people
> are snotty back at you, deal.

'started'? - it was a response to two totally gratuitously snotty comments
you folks to the difference between an unprovoked attack and retaliation.

zzapper wrote:

> Hi,
> I want something to carry say a sandwich,letters, chequebook etc for a
> day trip.
> I do have a small rucksack but find it awkward to take on and off, so
> often I just use a supermarket plastic bag.
> My wife bought me some complicated multi-strap cycling bag which I
> couldn't work out.
>
> I think I want something which attachs to me rather than the bike.
>
> Suggestions please (and if possible a hyperlink)

Handlebar bag - I use one of these:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/handlebar-bags/super-c-frontbag-klickfix.shtml

Goes on and off the bike with one click, holds your map where you can see it
while riding, rainproof.

You really, really don't want something that attaches to you - whatever it
is it will make you uncomfortable, particularly if on your back.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.

zzapper wrote:
>> Handlebar bag - I use one of these:
>>
>> http://www.carradice.co.uk/handlebar-bags/super-c-frontbag-klickfix.s...
>>

> Simon,
> That looks good, but my handlebar is full of cables, I guess the
> straps cope with that.

A similar bag works fine on two of my bikes, which have various cables along
the drop bars (brakes & gears for on one, gears only on the other).
However, I have Campagnolo and ancient Suntour shifters which run their
cable along the bars, rather than Shimano which launch them into fresh air
where the bag would sit.

The bag clicks on/off the small mount bracket with a single push button.

I know others who use such bags on Shimano equipped drop-bars, but some care
needed to ensure cables are not snagged.

I really like my bar bag; probably most useful bit of cycle luggage I
possess. The front pocket carries a set of spares (tubes, patches, tools,
etc) which fit either bike. The remainder has space for wallet, gloves,
sarnies, camera, glasses, maps, GPS, phone, lock....... and a shoulder strap
for carrying bag around when not on the bike

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

zzapper wrote:
>> Handlebar bag - I use one of these:
>>
>> http://www.carradice.co.uk/handlebar-bags/super-c-frontbag-klickfix.s...
>>

> Simon,
> That looks good, but my handlebar is full of cables, I guess the
> straps cope with that.
> The pannier bags would be best for shopping trips, the bum bags better
> for leisure trips.
> Thanks to all the suggestions, oh the agony of choice!

Don't forget saddle bags and rack bags!

An under-saddle wedge bag would be fine for the items you listed.

~PB