ideal maintenance routine....

G Dickson

Guest
I was looking for some info regarding recommended maintenance shedules (for a hardtail) after
riding trails.

With this I mean, what's best to check out for daily after a ride, weekly and monthly say.

"G Dickson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I was looking for some info regarding recommended maintenance shedules
(for
> a hardtail) after riding trails.
>
> With this I mean, what's best to check out for daily after a ride, weekly and monthly say.

Strict timescales are a hard one as it depends on how far you ride and in what conditions. Here are
some thoughts anyway.

True thing:

Clean drivetrains last longer, so do it as often as you can (be bothered in my case)

Before/after a ride:

Rubber: Check brake pads for wear. Keep an eye on the condition of the sidewalls of the tyre - most
of my tyres expire this way rather than from excessive tread wear.

Bolts: Check the bike for bolts working loose. Often overlooked, consequences can be nasty.

Oily bits: Regular shots of light lube on control cables, especially the rearmost portion of the
rear mech cable. I like to renew the outer cable at the back regularly (not after every ride - every
month or so I do it) as it's the main point of indexing related ballache.

Boing: Light lube on the stanchions of your suspension fork (if you have one) should keep them
running plushy.

Every so often:

Further oily bits: Hubs and headsets should be stripped and rebuilt with fresh grease and any
replacement parts necessary. A sound wheelset rendered scrap by terminally grindy hubs is a ****
thing to happen. I've been less concerned about headsets since I discovered the joy of cheap
cartridge aheadsets.

Andy Chequer

Schedule:

build bike ride bike break/wear-out part replace broken/worn part repeat

"G Dickson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was looking for some info regarding recommended maintenance shedules (for a hardtail) after
> riding trails.
>
> With this I mean, what's best to check out for daily after a ride, weekly and monthly say.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

JD

> "G Dickson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I was looking for some info regarding recommended maintenance shedules
(for
> > a hardtail) after riding trails.
> >
> > With this I mean, what's best to check out for daily after a ride,
weekly
> > and monthly say.
>
> If it aint broke, don't fix it.
>
> JD

How about, if it ain't broke, wait a while.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

In article <[email protected]>, "G Dickson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I was looking for some info regarding recommended maintenance shedules (for a hardtail) after
> riding trails.
>
> With this I mean, what's best to check out for daily after a ride, weekly and monthly say.

Good bike-repair manuals (Zinn is excellent) have these schedules. If you want to be diligent, try
something like tire pressure before every ride, clean and lube drivetrain after every dirt ride
(yeah, right), check hubs and BB...every so often, and suspension according to the manufacturer.
Grease your seatpost once a year, whether it needs it or not, and if your wheels are badly built
check them fairly often for loose spokes. Then retension them once using the Jobst Method and never
look at them again, no matter how often Bicycling thinks you should adjust your spokes. (Monthly?
Monthly!?!)

Also, short toodles around your local bit of trail are a far cry from an all-day mudfest race or
shuttle-rama. Adjust maintenance accordingly.

Do this, and you'll be ahead of most cyclists.

-RjC.