Ideas for a 3-person Super'bent?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jason Pecor, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Jason Pecor

    Jason Pecor Guest

    Okay.... I have this wild brainstorm for wanting to build a 3-person recumbent trike. Probably a
    delta-type formation - two side by side seats in back and one in front. I think it could be a fun
    vehicle for organized rides. (RAGBRAI, etc...)

    Am I crazy? Is this even possible? Hey you homebuilders!!! Have any thoughts?

    Jason

    Tags:

  2. You have to be careful asking this Newsgroup a question like are you crazy. Somewhere on the Tim &
    Ally Smith website there is a 3 person Tadpole and I think Ian Sim @ Greenspeed has said they make
    one or plan to make one (not sure which), supposed to be a tandem with a single using a S&S coupler
    as the hitch for the single.
    "Jason Pecor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Okay.... I have this wild brainstorm for wanting to build a 3-person recumbent trike. Probably a
    > delta-type formation - two side by side seats in back and one in front. I think it could be a fun
    > vehicle for organized rides. (RAGBRAI, etc...)
    >
    > Am I crazy? Is this even possible? Hey you homebuilders!!! Have any
    thoughts?

    > Jason

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Jason Pecor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Okay.... I have this wild brainstorm for wanting to build a 3-person recumbent trike. Probably a
    > delta-type formation - two side by side seats in back and one in front. I think it could be a fun
    > vehicle for organized rides. (RAGBRAI, etc...)
    >
    > Am I crazy? Is this even possible? Hey you homebuilders!!! Have any
    thoughts?

    Not crazy at all.

    May I suggest a tadpole arrangement, with two in front and one in the back. The extra-wide wheel
    stance will make it very stable in the corners. If you design it to be stiff and low, it could also
    be very fast - with 3x the pedal power! Try a mid-drive design for extra-wide gear ratios.

    Why not build a sleek fully-enclosed fairing for it? Then it becomes the family HPV.

    Sounds like a great project!

    -Barry

  4. IIRC one of the early Vector streamliners was a triple. Paging Jeff Wills...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    > IIRC one of the early Vector streamliners was a triple. Paging Jeff Wills...
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/

    At your swervice, sir...

    IIRC, none of the Vectors was a triple. There was a Vector tandem that cracked 60 mph in, ummm...,
    1980-ish.)

    In 1982 there was a monocoque quad that we hosted at the old Aerocoupe headquarters. It was built so
    the entire body shell sat above its 700C wheels (tadpole trike configuration), supposedly to get it
    out of ground effect. It looked like a 50-foot long cigar on stilts! They had problems keeping the
    chains on the cranks- I recall one "speed" run where they coasted through the traps at 11.11 mph.

    Also that year was a 5-person space-frame 4-wheeler from MIT. I remember it being somewhat
    unfinished- it had a nosecone, but the rest of the vehicle was covered in clear plastic. Not the
    kind of thing *I'd* want to sit in on a Southern California afternoon.

    Now that my brain's up to speed, I *think* there was a three-person streamliner at one of the
    earlier (Ontario Motor Speedway) IHPSC's that had all of the riders side-by-side. It's major
    weakness was the go-cart wheels they were using for primary drive. I'd love to go through Bill
    Gaines' archives to see if I'm remembering correctly.

    Heady days...

    If you want to have something for 3 people, why not try a Bilenky Viewpoint Waltz (aka Counterpoint
    Trio): http://www.bilenky.com/images/waltz2.jpg ?

    Jeff

  7. Better give it four wheels if you're going to put two people side by side in the rear. There'd be
    tremendous side to side stress on it, if they were spaced out with just one rear wheel between them,
    not to mention steering and stability problems. A single front wheel design for a tricycle can also
    be dangerous (deadly might be a better word) for stability. The now outlawed three-wheeled ATVs
    demonstrated that. I think what Greenspeed is proposing is the equivalent of a trail-a-bike, tacked
    onto a tandem tricycle.

    Steve McDonald

  8. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Neat idea. I like a tadpole design. How about a front wheel drive configuration (like Barcroft
    Oregon Low Racer) for the two forward riders and a rear wheel drive for the rear rider. Now each
    rider pedals at their own cadence. Perhaps you could reduce the length of this concept vehicle by
    accomodating just enough space between the two forward riders to allow for the crank and pedals of
    the rear rider...... hmmmmm......

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  9. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    I have seen many of the historic multi-rider vehicles in action, and my impression is that weight
    and complexity go up much faster than power as you add humans. Not saying you shouldn't do it or
    that it wouldn't be fun, but I would not expect much performance. I expect it would be a real chore
    to crank something like this on a ride as long as RAGBRAI.

    FWIW it looks to me like there _was_ a three person Vector at the Ontario, CA races. It went
    57.06 mph.

    There were a pair of nice 4 person machines in the 80's at Indianapolis. In 1983 the Pegasus had
    four wheels, two riders facing front side-by-side and two riders facing rear side-by-side. In 1984
    there was a machine with similar body and configuration, but now it was a trike with one rear wheel.
    I say one wheel, but this thing might have had something like paired 700c tubulars, IIRC.

    John Riley johnriley1(at)rogers.com

  10. John Olson

    John Olson Guest

    Jeff, Dave

    Bicycling Science (mine is the second edition), page 350, figure 13.19 shows the Vector three-rider
    quadracycle. This is the old Vector, before they

    Cheers

    John [email protected]

    "Jeff Wills" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > IIRC one of the early Vector streamliners was a triple. Paging Jeff Wills...
    > >
    > > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    >
    > At your swervice, sir...
    >
    > IIRC, none of the Vectors was a triple. There was a Vector tandem that cracked 60 mph in, ummm...,
    > 1980-ish.)
    >
    > In 1982 there was a monocoque quad that we hosted at the old Aerocoupe headquarters. It was built
    > so the entire body shell sat above its 700C wheels (tadpole trike configuration), supposedly to
    > get it out of ground effect. It looked like a 50-foot long cigar on stilts! They had problems
    > keeping the chains on the cranks- I recall one "speed" run where they coasted through the traps at
    > 11.11 mph.
    >
    > Also that year was a 5-person space-frame 4-wheeler from MIT. I remember it being somewhat
    > unfinished- it had a nosecone, but the rest of the vehicle was covered in clear plastic. Not the
    > kind of thing *I'd* want to sit in on a Southern California afternoon.
    >
    > Now that my brain's up to speed, I *think* there was a three-person streamliner at one of the
    > earlier (Ontario Motor Speedway) IHPSC's that had all of the riders side-by-side. It's major
    > weakness was the go-cart wheels they were using for primary drive. I'd love to go through Bill
    > Gaines' archives to see if I'm remembering correctly.
    >
    > Heady days...
    >
    > If you want to have something for 3 people, why not try a Bilenky Viewpoint Waltz (aka
    > Counterpoint Trio): http://www.bilenky.com/images/waltz2.jpg ?
    >
    > Jeff

    ---

  11. john riley wrote:

    >I have seen many of the historic multi-rider vehicles in action, and my impression is that weight
    >and complexity go up much faster than power as you add humans.
    There was a triplet (?) bicycle in one of the first Velovisions; no longer than the average solo
    'bent, with a (semi)recumbent rear rider, an upright midlle rider, and the front one lying prone.
    All using the same bottom bracket, by way of some very special three-way pedals!

    Mark van Gorkom.

  12. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    I can't locate the image now, but I seem to recall a three person TWO wheel machine... It had two
    people back-to-back up high, and a third person down low between the wheels.

    John Riley

  13. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Mark van Gorkom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > john riley wrote:
    >
    > >I have seen many of the historic multi-rider vehicles in action, and my impression is that weight
    > >and complexity go up much faster than power as you add humans.
    > There was a triplet (?) bicycle in one of the first Velovisions; no longer than the average solo
    > 'bent, with a (semi)recumbent rear rider, an upright midlle rider, and the front one lying prone.
    > All using the same bottom bracket, by way of some very special three-way pedals!

    I need diagrams to visualize that one. Three way pedals? Huh?

    Very special indeed. I'd really like to see this contraption.

    -Barry

  14. "B. Sanders" skrev...

    > "Mark van Gorkom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > john riley wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have seen many of the historic multi-rider vehicles in action, and my impression is that
    > > >weight and complexity go up much faster than power as you add humans.
    > > There was a triplet (?) bicycle in one of the first Velovisions; no longer than the average solo
    > > 'bent, with a (semi)recumbent rear rider, an upright midlle rider, and the front one lying
    > > prone. All using the same bottom bracket, by way of some very special three-way pedals!
    >
    > I need diagrams to visualize that one. Three way pedals? Huh?
    >
    > Very special indeed. I'd really like to see this contraption.

    Here you go: http://www.smart.net.au/harrop/recumbents/tridem.gif

  15. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    A la Dr. Seuss!

  16. Ah, La Triplette! Jean-Charles Gosselin said they did it so as to have to pay only one (expensive)
    entry fee for the '99 Worlds in Interlaken...

    Those of a nervous / xenophobic / vegetable disposition should refrain from looking for photographs
    of this machine, as it is French.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  17. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (stratrider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Neat idea. I like a tadpole design. How about a front wheel drive configuration (like Barcroft
    > Oregon Low Racer) for the two forward riders and a rear wheel drive for the rear rider. Now each
    > rider pedals at their own cadence. Perhaps you could reduce the length of this concept vehicle by
    > accomodating just enough space between the two forward riders to allow for the crank and pedals of
    > the rear rider...... hmmmmm......
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    I recall an early two-person HPV where the riders were prone (head forward) and stacked one on top
    of another. With synchonized pedals, there's no interference between legs/knees/feet and whatnot. No
    reason why you couldn't do that with three people... except it'd prompt some rather ribald jokes.

    Jeff

  18. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined: