Ideas for affordable bicycle enclosure / shed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Limbatus, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Limbatus

Limbatus New Member

Winter is around the corner, and I have no indoor space to keep my bikes. I want to build some kind of shelter or canopy to keep them dry if we get any big storms. got any ideas? I'd like to keep it less than ~$500. I'd like to store 4 bikes.

Tags:

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

In the USA?

All the big box home improvement stores sell outdoor storage sheds in plastic, wood or steel. Menards, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes...take your pick.

Most of the units require assembly, but it is pretty basic skill levels and only a few common tools are required.

http://www.lowes.com/Outdoors/Sheds-Outdoor-Storage/_/N-1z0wg8f/pl

3. Limbatus

Limbatus New Member

I'm trying to build something, but if it turns out to be too expensive, i may buy one of those sheds

4. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

I know a guy that went around and collected wood pallets from various local companies. He built a pretty nice yard shed using the free wood. A square of shingles might run $50-$100 and buying closeouts on 3 squares of vinyl siding might be a cheap way to go. Vinyl trim pieces and assorted hinge/hasp hardware for the door will add to the cost a bit. I've always found the finishing bits and little things not figured on to be the cost drivers on stick-built construction projects.