Ideas for my end to vegetarianism

In rec.food.cooking, Arri London <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > In rec.food.cooking, Arri London <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > An egg with an embryo or even a blood spot in it isn't
> > > kosher; an observant Jew wouldn't eat it. An
> > > unfertilised egg wouldn't cause a problem as no
> > > 'child' has formed.
> >
> > Now THAT makes sense. You have to wait until it hatches
> > before you can kill it.
> >

> Exactly. A grown chicken raised traditionally at least has
> a chance of running away or defending itself.

You have to wait until it is grown? I know of no prohibition
in Kashrut against eating cute defenseless little babies.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

[email protected] wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking, Arri London <[email protected]> wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:

> > > Now THAT makes sense. You have to wait until it
> > > hatches before you can kill it.
> > >

> > Exactly. A grown chicken raised traditionally at least
> > has a chance of running away or defending itself.
>
> You have to wait until it is grown? I know of no
> prohibition in Kashrut against eating cute defenseless
> little babies.

Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb is
about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not even all
that young.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > In rec.food.cooking, Arri London <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

formed.

can

> > > Exactly. A grown chicken raised traditionally at least
> > > has a chance of running away or defending itself.
> >
> > You have to wait until it is grown? I know of no
> > prohibition in Kashrut against eating cute defenseless
> > little babies.
> >

> Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb
> is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not even
> all that young.

How about Veal? That's a baby cow........ kili

In rec.food.cooking, Arri London <[email protected]> wrote:

> Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb
> is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not even
> all that young.

No veal parm? Oh, wait a minute...

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb
> is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not even
> all that young.

Well, there's balut but many would not consider it a baby
since it has not been born. It's also traditionally duck but
in Winnipeg chicken is more commonly found.

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
inconvenience!***

kilikini wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] wrote:

> formed.

> can

> > > You have to wait until it is grown? I know of no
> > > prohibition in Kashrut against eating cute defenseless
> > > little babies.
> > >

> > Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb
> > is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not
> > even all that young.
>
> How about Veal? That's a baby cow........ kili

None of the kosher households I routinely visit eat veal
either. That could just be personal preference I suppose. It
isn't forbidden as far as I know.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb
> > is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not
> > even all that young.
>
> Well, there's balut but many would not consider it a baby
> since it has not been born. It's also traditionally duck
> but in Winnipeg chicken is more commonly found.
>
> rona

I meant in kosher households. People eat baby chicks in
sever cultures I've heard.

Arri London wrote:

> Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done. Lamb
> is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and not even
> all that young.

Lambs are usually quite a bit older when slaughtered than
chickens. Most chickens go to slaughter at 6-7 weeks of age.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> >
> > "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >

> > > Probably not LOL but eating baby chicks isn't done.
> > > Lamb is about the only baby thing routinely eaten and
> > > not even all that young.
> >
> > Well, there's balut but many would not consider it a
> > baby since it has
not
> > been born. It's also traditionally duck but in Winnipeg
> > chicken is more commonly found.
> >
> > rona
> >

> I meant in kosher households. People eat baby chicks in
> sever cultures I've heard.

Ah, sorry! I came in at the middle and didn't realize the
subject had changed :-O!

ObFood: Dinner tonight--boil in the bag unagi-yaki on rice,
complete with tare and sansho!

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
inconvenience!***

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, Barry Grau of
http://groups.google.com said:

>>I imagine game meat to be safe.
>
>You imagine wrong. Game is susceptible to a disease related
>to BSE -- chronic wasting disease: <http://www.cwd-
>info.org/>

Is nothing safe anymore? Well, in any case, it seems to be
more safe than conventional meat. At least that's my
impression.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ#
251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> > >
> > > "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Well, there's balut but many would not consider it a
> > > baby since it has
> not
> > > been born. It's also traditionally duck but in
> > > Winnipeg chicken is more commonly found.
> > >
> > > rona
> > >

> > I meant in kosher households. People eat baby chicks in
> > several cultures I've heard.
>
> Ah, sorry! I came in at the middle and didn't realize the
> subject had changed :-O!
>
> ObFood: Dinner tonight--boil in the bag unagi-yaki on
> rice, complete with tare and sansho!
>
> rona

Dinner sounds good. When are you off to Japan?

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dinner sounds good. When are you off to Japan?

Thursday morning...I'm not nearly close to being packed and
ready to go. Being a procrastinator is hard on your health--
I'm stressed and I'm grinding my teeth down in my sleep! I
think I'm going to have to get them capped! \

On a positive note, one of my co-workers (who is also a
friend from grad school) is researching restaurants for us
and the motto of the English department is "We live to eat."
I think I'm going to be very happy there
:). Plus I can order Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters
:from amazon.co.jp
for the same price as amazon.com *and* get free shipping!
*And* I'll be able to get non-boil-in-the-bag unagi-yaki!!
While the boil-in-the-bag stuff hits the spot when you have
a craving, it just doesn't compare to fresh unagi-yaki (but
I still had it for breakfast today, and will probably have
the last one tomorrow)!

rona

--
***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
inconvenience!***

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Dinner sounds good. When are you off to Japan?
>
> Thursday morning...I'm not nearly close to being packed
> and ready to go. Being a procrastinator is hard on your
> health--I'm stressed and I'm grinding my teeth down in my
> sleep! I think I'm going to have to get them capped! \
>
> On a positive note, one of my co-workers (who is also a
> friend from grad school) is researching restaurants for us
> and the motto of the English department is "We live to
> eat." I think I'm going to be very happy there
> :). Plus I can order Eater's Guide to Chinese Characters
> :from amazon.co.jp
> for the same price as amazon.com *and* get free shipping!
> *And* I'll be able to get non-boil-in-the-bag unagi-yaki!!
> While the boil-in-the-bag stuff hits the spot when you
> have a craving, it just doesn't compare to fresh unagi-
> yaki (but I still had it for breakfast today, and will
> probably have the last one tomorrow)!
>
> rona

Happy Trip and I hope you enjoy your stay. I'm envious as to
your dietary prospects!!