Ideas on saddles for larger riders?

RidinDirty

Feb 25, 2016
Hello all,

If I've posted in the wrong section forgive me :)

Just wondering if there were any like-sized riders out there who had good ideas on saddles? I recently purchased a Trek FX 7.3, and the seat is absolutely the most uncomfortable I've ever been on. Now I'm a big guy, 5'11", 275lbs, and I'll admit I am not terribly comfort on most standard thin bike seats.

It seems from the Bontrager line its either I get a super skin light saddle or a giant commuter-style gel saddle, which doesnt real fit the bike

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Go to a shop and see if you can test a few. I think the lack of answers is due to the fact that this isn't something easy to answer. Pretty much just trial and error. A shop owner may be able to add his opinions as well, maybe he knows what riders in you're size range find comfortable.

Also, it may be that the saddle isn't right for you, or may simply be that you aren't use to riding it and need time to get use to it.

My best bet is to visit a bike store and try all the saddles available there. There is no substitute for the actual try out. That's also the standard advice when buying a bike, the store can not only show you the bike but also let you test drive it for comfort and convenience. And if in case the saddles there don't fit you then go to another store. I'm sure there are lots of saddles around, you just have to find it.

There is no direct link between a person's size and the ideal saddle size.
Ideal saddle size is determined by the spacing between two bony knobs on your pelvis called the sit bones. And you can't judge that by weight, height or waist measurement.
A good shop will have a measuring pad.
At home you can sit on some corrugated cardboard, measure center-to-center between the dimples and use that as a guidance for which saddle width might fit you.
A good shop may also have a loan-to-buy system which allows you to try saddles out before deciding.

Thank you all for the suggestions, really appreciate it. Ended up with a brand purchased at a local bike shop, really feels fantastic.

Reactions: Bicycleman
mWRH65lUSZPRSHU7AmWeXpA.jpg

FYI. The BROOKS B17 ("standard") is one of the saddles favored by long distance riders ...

Even the "narrow" version of the B17 (which is the same width as the BROOKS B15, AFAIK) is wider than most plastic saddles.​

I use a WTB speed. It's one great, comfortable saddle. It's not the most expensive one, but it works for me. Often times, the most expensive, sought after saddles are the most uncomfortable.

I had a WTB Rocket V on my 98 Cannondale. Later in 05 I bought a Titanium rail Terry Fly that was sweet right out of the box ($60) Again in 2010, but this time $90.
In 2015 I needed another but the price is now $160! WTF!!!

I ordered a steel rail fly from Nashbar $60. Man it really sucked!

Then I saw a Rocket V at Performance for $45. Tried it and it works great. Close the the one on my 98. So I picked up another and now riding them on my Madone and the tandem. Decent seat for about $50.

Actually an MTB saddle but I go with what feels good.

0RocketV_zpsvmsc5hqo.jpg

Reactions: Bicycleman
I looked at buying a friend's touring bike, a Cannondale T2000. It didn't fit me at 56 cm since I ride a 61 cm. He allowed me to take it home to really test ride it. I rode it for 40 miles, and his new expensive saddle, a Selle Italia sucked. It's all in the comfort for me, and I have had many saddles. The Terry women's saddle is a good one for men too. I have the Terry on my Bike Friday.

Mr Beanz, Terry still has the Fly available for around $60....at least that was the sticker price at my LBS last fall when I got mine. It doesn't have the fancy grained-leather cover or Ti rails, but is still a very comfortable, wider saddle. I like Ti for bike frames, but anyone over 200 lbs needs good old Cro-Mo steel rails anyway. It's dumb to pay more to save grams and get a saddle with weaker rails. Let the skinny racers pay the big bucks to save a few ounces.

My new bike came with a nice flat saddle that is about 135mm wide, around 10 less than the Terry Fly, and has about half the padding. I'm giving it a good try, as I'd like to keep the Fly on my old bike. At the end of my first two hour ride on it, definitely noticed I was on a new, harder saddle. I'm going to ride it for 30 days and see if things improve. In my experience, any new saddle feels hard and takes a few longish rides to get used to.

Hello all,

If I've posted in the wrong section forgive me :)

Just wondering if there were any like-sized riders out there who had good ideas on saddles? I recently purchased a Trek FX 7.3, and the seat is absolutely the most uncomfortable I've ever been on. Now I'm a big guy, 5'11", 275lbs, and I'll admit I am not terribly comfort on most standard thin bike seats.
Dirty, being more average-sized (a mere 190), I've thought the Nebula saddles on FXs are pretty much the right tool for the job--not a hard narrow road saddle but not a Lord Plushbottom cruiser saddle. Road saddles are available in the length you need, but the narrow width is for a more, ahem, assertive, forward-leaning riding posture. Cruiser saddles are wide, soft, and short, so you end up sitting on the muscles you want to use to propel the bike. And they're short.

According to the catalog, the Nebula Plus is 270mm long, which is about as long as most road saddles, and it's available in 3 widths, 154, 164, and 174 mm. Have you considered getting a wider Nubula Plus?

Mr Beanz, Terry still has the Fly available for around $60....at least that was the sticker price at my LBS last fall when I got mine. It doesn't have the fancy grained-leather cover or Ti rails, but is still a very comfortable, wider saddle. I like Ti for bike frames, but anyone over 200 lbs needs good old Cro-Mo steel rails anyway. It's dumb to pay more to save grams and get a saddle with weaker rails. Let the skinny racers pay the big bucks to save a few ounces.

My new bike came with a nice flat saddle that is about 135mm wide, around 10 less than the Terry Fly, and has about half the padding. I'm giving it a good try, as I'd like to keep the Fly on my old bike. At the end of my first two hour ride on it, definitely noticed I was on a new, harder saddle. I'm going to ride it for 30 days and see if things improve. In my experience, any new saddle feels hard and takes a few longish rides to get used to.

Yeah I tried one of those $60 models. Didn't do it for me. I'm not sure why. Did Terry cut back on material? I never believed in the ti for lightweight frame of mind. I just managed to get the first ti railed saddle as it was $59 back in 2004.

I ended up getting a second one after that. Also ti. Funny thing is the ti was perfectly fine for me. Believe it or not, my wife had a cromoly rail Specialized saddle $60 that broke. After having 2 ti saddles with no issues but having my wife who weighs far less than I do break a cromoly rail, I'm not so against counting out ti on rails now.

Believe me, I don't believe in cutting back weight at my size 6'1 - 240. But after snapping 2 aluminum frames after 13,000 miles, the carbon frame is doing fine after 12,000 so we'll see.

I also ride Velocity Deep V wheels at 32 spokes. I'm not a weight weenie at all but I had no issues with ti for rails.:cool:

... Believe it or not, my wife had a cromoly rail Specialized saddle $60 that broke. After having 2 ti saddles with no issues but having my wife who weighs far less than I do break a cromoly rail, I'm not so against counting out ti on rails now.
FWIW ...

This is interesting ...

Is it at all possible that your wife's saddle was-or-is set a bit too high and so she is ever-so-slightly rocking-or-bouncing on it when she rides?

The seatpost's cradle may also have been a contributing factor ...

Some cradles are better than others.​

Nope. I have her saddle adjusted properly. I pay a lot of attention to these things. Plus her bike is a high end model so she has an upper level seat post with micro adjust. All i can figure is that the rails may have been faulty at the bend where it broke. It was replaced by Specialized no problem. Using same model and no further issue so that is all I can figure.