Identify a 1970's Peugeot, anyone?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Gavin, Oct 15, 2004.

  1. Dan Gavin

    Dan Gavin Guest

    I am trying to identify the model and year of this bike:
    http://www.sover.net/~dgavin/peugeot/

    I have maxed-out my internet research on this; and having many replaced
    components on this bike doesn't help. It has Suntour brakes, levers and
    derailleurs. But I think the hubs (Maillard 700 wide flange) are
    original. The serial number is 7043327 (stamped on a plate below the
    bottom bracket).

    I compared this bike with old catalogs at:
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/
    I am stuck between a 1974-1978 PX-10 (though black PX-10's might not
    exist) or a 1979 PY-10 (EC?). The lugs are not baroque, and they are
    all painted over same as the frame.

    The rear hub has a broken axle and I am searching for a replacement with
    new cones. The wheels have been rebuilt in the last five years with new
    rims and spokes.

    Many thanks!
    Dan Gavin
    Colchester, VT

    Tags:

  2. richard

    richard Guest

    It could be either a PX or a PY. Only the white ones had the lugs
    painted. I know in 1976, the PX came in blue (and perhaps black - there
    were more than 2 colors available that year).

    Maillard hubs are original. Keep checking eBay - I found a replacement
    front hub there, but they aren't that common.

    Dan Gavin wrote:
    > I am trying to identify the model and year of this bike:
    > http://www.sover.net/~dgavin/peugeot/
    >
    > I have maxed-out my internet research on this; and having many replaced
    > components on this bike doesn't help. It has Suntour brakes, levers and
    > derailleurs. But I think the hubs (Maillard 700 wide flange) are
    > original. The serial number is 7043327 (stamped on a plate below the
    > bottom bracket).
    >
    > I compared this bike with old catalogs at:
    > http://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/
    > I am stuck between a 1974-1978 PX-10 (though black PX-10's might not
    > exist) or a 1979 PY-10 (EC?). The lugs are not baroque, and they are
    > all painted over same as the frame.
    >
    > The rear hub has a broken axle and I am searching for a replacement with
    > new cones. The wheels have been rebuilt in the last five years with new
    > rims and spokes.
    >
    > Many thanks!
    > Dan Gavin
    > Colchester, VT

  3. johnf

    johnf New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    try this site for some additional information:
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/PX-10.htm

  4. Dan Gavin

    Dan Gavin Guest

    A belated thanks to the two responses. A few other minor clues also
    suggest its a 1976 PX-10--and the 'oral history' attached to this bike
    also suggest its pre-1979. Now to decide what to do with it...
    -Dan

  5. Wolfgang Strobl <[email protected]> writes:

    >Dan Gavin <[email protected]>:

    >>I am trying to identify the model and year of this bike:
    >>http://www.sover.net/~dgavin/peugeot/

    those are outstanding maillard-700 hubs, there are none better
    (campagnolo quality). That, together with a stronglight 93 crankset,
    implies that this bike is a definite keeper, it should last another 40
    years at least.

    - Don Gillies
    San Diego, CA