Identify a 1970's Peugeot, anyone?

Dan Gavin

Guest
I am trying to identify the model and year of this bike:
http://www.sover.net/~dgavin/peugeot/

I have maxed-out my internet research on this; and having many replaced
components on this bike doesn't help. It has Suntour brakes, levers and
derailleurs. But I think the hubs (Maillard 700 wide flange) are
original. The serial number is 7043327 (stamped on a plate below the
bottom bracket).

I compared this bike with old catalogs at:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/
I am stuck between a 1974-1978 PX-10 (though black PX-10's might not
exist) or a 1979 PY-10 (EC?). The lugs are not baroque, and they are
all painted over same as the frame.

The rear hub has a broken axle and I am searching for a replacement with
new cones. The wheels have been rebuilt in the last five years with new
rims and spokes.

Many thanks!
Dan Gavin
Colchester, VT

It could be either a PX or a PY. Only the white ones had the lugs
painted. I know in 1976, the PX came in blue (and perhaps black - there
were more than 2 colors available that year).

Maillard hubs are original. Keep checking eBay - I found a replacement
front hub there, but they aren't that common.

Dan Gavin said:
[...]

try this site for some additional information:
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/PX-10.htm

A belated thanks to the two responses. A few other minor clues also
suggest its a 1976 PX-10--and the 'oral history' attached to this bike
also suggest its pre-1979. Now to decide what to do with it...
-Dan

Wolfgang Strobl <[email protected]> writes:

>Dan Gavin <[email protected]>:

>>I am trying to identify the model and year of this bike:
>>http://www.sover.net/~dgavin/peugeot/

those are outstanding maillard-700 hubs, there are none better
(campagnolo quality). That, together with a stronglight 93 crankset,
implies that this bike is a definite keeper, it should last another 40
years at least.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA