Identify freezer burn?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Chuck, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?

    With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?

    Thanks
    Chuck (in SC)

    Tags:

  2. "Chuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    > meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    > crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    >
    > With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chuck (in SC)

    The meat will look dried out. It may or may not have ice crystals. Instead
    of a nice red color, beef will be a brownish gray and look sort of sponge
    like. It will affect the texture and have a bland taste.

    What you need is a vacuum sealer. I use a Foodsaver and I've kept meat for 3
    years with no adverse affects.
    --
    Ed
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Chuck wrote:
    > With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    > meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    > crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    >
    > With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chuck (in SC)

    There will be an off colour as well as taste and texture. Beef that has
    freezer burn will look greyish, not red. Freezer burned poultry will look
    white, not pinkish. With fish it's hard to tell, especially if it's white
    fish. I think it gets a little bit brownish where the edges are freezer
    burned. I don't keep fish long enough to tell :)

    The best way to avoid freezer burn is to package whatever it is well with as
    little air in the packaging as possible.

    Jill

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Chuck wrote:

    > With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    > meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    > crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    >
    > With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?

    The meat will be paler and dried out. It won't taste "off" as in a rotten
    taste but it's not great, and it will have an odd texture. My dog's don't
    seem to mind freezer burned meat.

  5. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:41:33 GMT, Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

    >With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    >meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    >crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    >
    >With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Chuck (in SC)

    Thanks all... just wasn't sure.. (in other words.. had no clue!)
    Chuck (in SC)

  6. On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Dave Smith wrote:

    > Chuck wrote:
    >
    > > With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    > > meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    > > crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    > >
    > > With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?

    > The meat will be paler and dried out. It won't taste "off" as in a rotten
    > taste but it's not great, and it will have an odd texture. My dog's don't
    > seem to mind freezer burned meat.

    I have to disagree about the taste. For me, it has a very distinct awful
    taste. I can't eat it and I can't use the meat in anything, like soup or
    beans, etc. The awful flavor permeates everything. boo, hiss. I feed it
    too the dog, too.

    Elaine, too

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:

    > With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    > meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    > crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    >
    > With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Chuck (in SC)

    Frankly, Chuck, I'd be surprised to find freezer burn on store-packaged
    meats.

    Freezer burn is dry and white on the surface of the meat. Up here (MN),
    I could tell you that it looks the way dried salt-spray melt-off looks
    on a concrete garage floor. :)

    AFAIC, it there's not a lot of it, I just trim it off and proceed as
    usual.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

  8. jmcquown wrote:
    > Freezer burned poultry will look
    > white, not pinkish.

    Yup. And in desperate moments, I will admit to having sawed/scraped
    the whitish parts off frozen chicken breasts (if it's limited damage)
    and then cooked them anyway. I've attempted the same with
    over-the-hill steaks, too -- thaw them partially, then start sawing.
    Which worked, although it didn't make for a gorgeous dish. Not that
    I'm usually cooking for the most discriminating of palates, anyway...
    ;)

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  9. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Karen MacInerney" <[email protected]> wrote

    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Freezer burned poultry will look
    >> white, not pinkish.

    > Yup. And in desperate moments, I will admit to having sawed/scraped
    > the whitish parts off frozen chicken breasts (if it's limited damage)
    > and then cooked them anyway. I've attempted the same with
    > over-the-hill steaks, too -- thaw them partially, then start sawing.
    > Which worked, although it didn't make for a gorgeous dish. Not that
    > I'm usually cooking for the most discriminating of palates, anyway...
    > ;)

    Freezer burn is *the* major reason I bought my Tilia. I guess
    I'm just fussy, but I don't eat freezer burned meat. Perhaps that
    sounds bad, but really, rather than eat it, I'll just have some
    vegetables for dinner and the meat goes in the trash.

    I don't throw out meat any more unless I take it out and don't
    use it within a reasonable time. Boy do I get annoyed when I
    do that, but no one to blame but myself.

    nancy

  10. Dieter Zakas

    Dieter Zakas Guest

    In article [email protected], Nancy Young at
    [email protected] wrote on 1/10/06 12:09:

    > "Karen MacInerney" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>> Freezer burned poultry will look
    >>> white, not pinkish.

    >> Yup. And in desperate moments, I will admit to having sawed/scraped
    >> the whitish parts off frozen chicken breasts (if it's limited damage)
    >> and then cooked them anyway. I've attempted the same with
    >> over-the-hill steaks, too -- thaw them partially, then start sawing.
    >> Which worked, although it didn't make for a gorgeous dish. Not that
    >> I'm usually cooking for the most discriminating of palates, anyway...
    >> ;)

    > Freezer burn is *the* major reason I bought my Tilia. I guess
    > I'm just fussy, but I don't eat freezer burned meat. Perhaps that
    > sounds bad, but really, rather than eat it, I'll just have some
    > vegetables for dinner and the meat goes in the trash.
    >
    > I don't throw out meat any more unless I take it out and don't
    > use it within a reasonable time. Boy do I get annoyed when I
    > do that, but no one to blame but myself.
    >
    > nancy

    Speaking of freezer burn...

    I know this is a bit OT, but I thought I'd share.

    My sister once worked in a local lab, and one day, she and a coworker were
    in the lab's freezer doing inventory. (Mind you, this is during the summer.)
    When they emerged, her coworker noticed my sister got freezer burn on her
    face.

    Dieter Zakas
    --
    Good, better, best; never let it rest, until your good is better and your
    better is best. (Billy Cox)

  11. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:16:43 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > Chuck <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> With store packaged meats.. What does freezer burn look like? Does the
    >> meat have a off color to it? or just having a slight amount of ice
    >> crystals around edge mean it's got freezer burn?
    >>
    >> With freezer burn.. will there be a off taste and texture?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Chuck (in SC)

    >Frankly, Chuck, I'd be surprised to find freezer burn on store-packaged
    >meats.
    >
    >Freezer burn is dry and white on the surface of the meat. Up here (MN),
    >I could tell you that it looks the way dried salt-spray melt-off looks
    >on a concrete garage floor. :)
    >
    >AFAIC, it there's not a lot of it, I just trim it off and proceed as
    >usual.

    Thanks folks..
    I was just starting to use some store packaged meats frozen 6 to 7
    months ago.. and was concerned... All appears well!
    Chuck (in SC)