Identify the Bad Clicking Sound

jpwkeeper

Jul 25, 2004
My bike has always had this issue:

Periodically, usually when pedaling under stress (uphill, towing), I will start to get a clicking or popping noise from the vicinity rear wheel. Googling this has produced some results but has not identified the problem.

Pertinent facts:

1. The timing of the sound is once per revolution of the rear wheel, not once per pedal revolution.
2. When I stop pedaling and coast, the sound also stops.
3. When I resume pedaling, the sound usually does NOT return. Occasionally it does.
4. The sound usually appears when pedaling under stress; uphill or towing.
5. I'm fairly sure that this sound has persisted after replacing the rear wheel for other reasons.
6. There appears to be plenty of clearance between my rear derailleur and my spokes.
7. I'm fairly sure that the sound is usually a two-part sound. One pop or click followed by a second softer one. I'm not sure if this is always true.
8. It is not consistent. It will disappear for long periods of time.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as well as how to further diagnose the issue. It doesn't appear serious, just a bit annoying.

See if you can borrow someone else's rear wheel for a quick uphill test ride to further isolate the problem as either being from the rear wheel, or not ...

If the problem is not replicated, then carefully inspect the spokes of your rear wheel (of course, you can check the spokes/etc. before your next ride) ...

If the sound is replicated then you will probably want to check the frame's stays for a possible crack ...

OR, it could simply be a loose component (e.g., your rear derailleur hanger) ...

OR, something else.

I had this problem that drone me NUTS! Simple- my rear skewer was loose. A hard fast reminder I wasn't cleaning the bike enough! Hope this solves your problem,

it could be the bottom bracket, we resolve a similar issue recently in another thread,

Originally Posted by alfeng .

See if you can borrow someone else's rear wheel for a quick uphill test ride to further isolate the problem as either being from the rear wheel, or not ...

If the problem is not replicated, then carefully inspect the spokes of your rear wheel (of course, you can check the spokes/etc. before your next ride) ...

If the sound is replicated then you will probably want to check the frame's stays for a possible crack ...

OR, it could simply be a loose component (e.g., your rear derailleur hanger) ...

OR, something else.
Can't swap my wheel, but I checked the spokes.

The non-drive-train side spokes do not seem very tight. When I move them they do produce a sound that could be what I'm hearing. I may take the wheel in and get it retentioned.

Originally Posted by jpwkeeper .

Can't swap my wheel, but I checked the spokes.

The non-drive-train side spokes do not seem very tight. When I move them they do produce a sound that could be what I'm hearing. I may take the wheel in and get it retentioned.
Presuming the wheel is correctly dished and true, the spoke tension could be fine, since the NDS spokes aren't as tight as the DS. If you hear the noise when squeezing the spokes, try putting a drop of oil on the spoke junction, where the spokes overlap. If the noise is still there, try a drop of lube on the nipple/rim holes.

Tensioning the spokes is a good idea.

A rear wheel under power is pretty simple. A chain turning cogs and a hub turning on bearings over a spindle.

My drivetrain was getting pretty noisy back there, too. It was annoying my friends more than me, until they started annoying me about it. The chain and cassette didn't look half bad, but they didn't look good either, so I replaced them and now all is quiet. If it isn't the spokes, look and chain and cassette wear. If that isn't it, look at the hub bearings. The hub may be out of adjustment or the bearings damaged or simply dry.