Identity Theft

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Al Kubeluis, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hello All, You may find advice below useful. ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland ~ USA ~~~

    A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company. I pass it along, for
    your information.

    The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first

    name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your check book they

    will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your

    first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

    Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you

    have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have

    a PO Box use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your

    checks-you can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed,

    anyone can get it.

    Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both sides

    of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your

    wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and

    cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of

    my passport when I travel either here or abroad.

    We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in

    stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc.

    Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet

    was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered an expensive

    monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit

    line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV

    to change my driving record information online, and more.

    But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this

    happens to you or someone you know:

    We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the

    key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you

    know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily.

    File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was

    stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a

    first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

    But here's what is perhaps most important:

    (I never even thought to do this)

    Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to

    place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number. I had never

    heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an

    application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert

    means any company that checks your credit knows your information was

    stolen and they have

    to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

    By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft,

    all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks

    initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before

    placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and

    the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It

    seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

    The numbers are:

    Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

    Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

    Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

    Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271

    We pass along jokes; we pass along just about everything. Do think about

    passing this information along. It could really help someone you care

    about.

    Tags:

  2. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    This is truly good advice. My wife's identity was stolen last Christmas while we were on vacation
    and someone raided her office files. It has taken us more than a year to straighten out the mess.
    Especially heed the advice to IMMEDIATELY call the credit reporting agencys to report the issue.

    Been there, got the tee shirt that we didn't want

    <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  3. Bethf

    Bethf Guest

    "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This is truly good advice. My wife's identity was stolen last Christmas while we were on vacation
    > and someone raided her office files. It has
    taken
    > us more than a year to straighten out the mess. Especially heed the advice to IMMEDIATELY call the
    > credit reporting
    agencys
    > to report the issue.
    >
    > Been there, got the tee shirt that we didn't want

    My purse was stolen today. thief cashed two checks for 1200$ at the bank and then racked up some
    credit card purchases.

    What a pain in the ass.

  4. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Yeah, identity theft is really popping up around here too. People sifting through other people's
    trash for CC numbers or SSNs. Paper shredder, Paper shredder, Paper shredder.

    Derek

    In article <[email protected]>, "<Chas>"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This is truly good advice. My wife's identity was stolen last Christmas while we were on vacation
    > and someone raided her office files. It has taken us more than a year to straighten out the mess.
    > Especially heed the advice to IMMEDIATELY call the credit reporting agencys to report the issue.
    >
    > Been there, got the tee shirt that we didn't want
    >
    > <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  5. John

    John Guest

    Thanks for the good information, Al. And thanks to you, Beth, for destroying my illusions about
    there being nothing but decent and honest hard-working rugged individualists up there in the Great
    White Beyond...

  6. Breezed

    Breezed Guest

    Good info Al. Thanks for passing it along. This is becoming all too common. What a sad commentary on
    life that we have to be on guard, not some of the time, but all the time.

  7. "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello All, You may find advice below useful. ~~~ Al Kubeluis ~ Bacchetta Corsa ~ Maryland
    > ~ USA ~~~
    >

    > A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company. I pass it along, for
    > your information.

    Good info, but in my case it was the social Security Administration that started the mess by cutting
    my only income, and then when my identity was stolen, it gave me a chance to walk away from
    financial responsibilities that were not mine.

    Now the nation is hurting, and California is in a $36 billion slump, I can now say too bad, how sad;
    and pick out the color on my new bent.

    Bent, but not broke-n.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.