Idiot Mother Blames NYC Transit Strike For Son Getting Hit

The mother of a NYC fireman hit by a bus blames transit union. Some
reports say he rode into the side of the bus. What a fool!! I feel
for her but I guess everything is someone elses fault!

[email protected] wrote in news:1137018858.443521.275740
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> The mother of a NYC fireman hit by a bus blames transit union. Some
> reports say he rode into the side of the bus. What a fool!! I feel
> for her but I guess everything is someone elses fault!

Managing to get hit by a bus when 98% of the buses were idled is a good
trick. But there were interesting circumstances during the strike. Do you
have a cite for the specific incident?

Most of the private bus traffic was routed along 5th & 6th Aves and a
selection of cross streets. That was also where the bikes were riding,
because they were closed to vehicle traffic. The other avenues had the
left lanes coned off, but it wasn't clear if the lanes were for bikes or
emergency vehicles. Either way, it was a novel situation that no one was
familiar with. If it was a design flaw, and if the "illegal" strike was the
proximate cause of the son riding a bike, it could be actionable. In
Montreal, everyone knows that a bus pulling out has the right of way
because the buses have big signs that say so. They don't in New York.
Ordinarily, a vehicle pulling out into traffic must yield to traffic
already moving. That means "riding into the side of a bus" = the bus
pulled out without seeing or caring about you. The city, the private bus,
and the TWU may all be liable. The mother has a responsibility to her
son's estate to investigate any possibility of liability in his death.
That makes her a non-idiot in my book.

--ag

catzz66 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > The mother of a NYC fireman hit by a bus blames transit union. Some
> > reports say he rode into the side of the bus. What a fool!! I feel
> > for her but I guess everything is someone elses fault!
> >

> Here's a link to an article about the actual wreck that caused the
> cyclist's injuries....
>
> http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/377176p-320426c.html
>
> The bus that hit him was a charter bus.

Further down in the story:
" Rev. Floyd Flake, a former Democratic congressman" Is this serious?
Someone should have talked to his parents.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Andy Gee wrote:
> Ordinarily, a vehicle pulling out into traffic must yield to traffic
> already moving. That means "riding into the side of a bus" = the bus
> pulled out without seeing or caring about you. The city, the private bus,
> and the TWU may all be liable. The mother has a responsibility to her
> son's estate to investigate any possibility of liability in his death.
> That makes her a non-idiot in my book.

I'm wondering if you read the article.

"Police said the bus was turning right onto E. 52nd St. from the center
lane on Third Ave. when it hit Matthew Long. Police believe the bus
driver, Bryant Barr, 30, of Albany, never saw the biker. Barr was given
a summons for making an improper turn."

>From another source:

(http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/ny-nyfire1222,0,146196.story?coll=nyc-moreny-headlines)

"Police said Long was in the right-hand lane of Third Avenue, heading
north just past 5:45 a.m., when the bus tried to turn right, from the
third lane, onto East 52nd Street.

Long, who was wearing a helmet, crashed into the side of the bus, by
the front right tire, police said.

The driver, Bryant Barr, 30, was issued a summons for an improper right
turn, police said, noting buses are supposed to be in the far right, or
bus, lane."

The bus driver made a right turn from the improper lane and struck the
cyclist.

The bus driver is clearly at fault.

-Buck

Buck wrote:
> Andy Gee wrote:
>
>>Ordinarily, a vehicle pulling out into traffic must yield to traffic
>>already moving. That means "riding into the side of a bus" = the bus
>>pulled out without seeing or caring about you. The city, the private bus,
>>and the TWU may all be liable. The mother has a responsibility to her
>>son's estate to investigate any possibility of liability in his death.
>>That makes her a non-idiot in my book.

The mother is pursuing an angle that the TWU is also liable because the
strike was illegal. That is probably a gross oversimplification, but
was the gist of her claim against the union though the bus that hit her
son was a private charter bus hired by a company to get their employees
to work during the strike.