Idiotic Drivers. . .

RobotDeathSquad

Sep 9, 2004
Just had my first close call with my new bike. Stupid lady turned into her drive way RIGHT infront of me (litterally 30 ft or less in front of me). I had to lock up my brakes and the back tire popped and actually bounced my bike up in the air. I slid and my ass hit the back end of her SUV. I stopped and pulled over obviously and she came out to see if I was ok. I was, a little shaken, but all right. I asked if she'd pay for my tire, she said it wasn't her fault she couldn't see me. I gave up because my ride got there (this was very close to my house and I imediately called on my cell phone).

I'm gonna go get it fixed. Take her the bill. If she refuses, I'll call the cops.
Her neighbors saw the whole thing, thought it was a backfire at first. They came over to make sure I was ok.

The nerve of some people.

RobotDeathSquad said:
Just had my first close call with my new bike. Stupid lady turned into her drive way RIGHT infront of me (litterally 30 ft or less in front of me). I had to lock up my brakes and the back tire popped and actually bounced my bike up in the air. I slid and my ass hit the back end of her SUV. I stopped and pulled over obviously and she came out to see if I was ok. I was, a little shaken, but all right. I asked if she'd pay for my tire, she said it wasn't her fault she couldn't see me. I gave up because my ride got there (this was very close to my house and I imediately called on my cell phone).

I'm gonna go get it fixed. Take her the bill. If she refuses, I'll call the cops.
Her neighbors saw the whole thing, thought it was a backfire at first. They came over to make sure I was ok.

I used to be the nice guy also...I'm not the sue happy or angry type, but I would definately report the incident. Her ignorance is not an excuse to avoid responsibility. And what is worse, if you have delayed or still unfelt injuries you'll end up picking up the medical tab. Better to take a few minutes and go to the police station and report the incident.

Especially since she flat out negated to pay for the tire.

Sounds similar to my first day out on my brand new Trek 5500. Car was coming in the opposite direction and made a left turn right in front of me. Luckily was alert, had hands on brakes already and stopped about 2 ft short of hitting the passenger side door. Shouted as I was squealling to a stop and got that "oh I did not see you look". Another couple of feet and would have flown in the passenger side window since it was down and about at my height.

Well in my case no damage and no scrapes, but all I could think about that day was "First day out on my new bike and they are gunning for me already!"

joule said:
Sounds similar to my first day out on my brand new Trek 5500. Car was coming in the opposite direction and made a left turn right in front of me. Luckily was alert, had hands on brakes already and stopped about 2 ft short of hitting the passenger side door. Shouted as I was squealling to a stop and got that "oh I did not see you look". Another couple of feet and would have flown in the passenger side window since it was down and about at my height.

Well in my case no damage and no scrapes, but all I could think about that day was "First day out on my new bike and they are gunning for me already!"
Precisely. The funny thing was that the lady was at her house. So she had to come out to see if I was ok. I could tell she thought I was going to yell and scream at her. I didn't. Never even raised my voice.

Well the screaming was to let her know I was coming... No horn to blast. All I shouted was "Jesus Christ". Yeah, not the best, but could have been worse hehe.

I count-coup on the cars that cut me off. It works like this: if I were in a car and a collision would be their fault I slap the car with an open hand. If the collision would be my fault it doesn't count for a coup.

In other words, if a car passes to turn or comes off a side street or driveway and it's a close enough call I have to change speed or direction to keep from hitting them I count-coup. Both of these happened just this past week. The pass to turn happened twice. I counted-coup three times.

If the car is ahead of me going in the same direction and turns I have to slow down. Just like any other case where an collision would be my fault if I were driving.

A car coming from the other direction that doesn't wait and turns in front of me gets a slap.

Parked cars don't count.

If I am ever actually involved in a collision with a car, injured or not, I'm going to collapse and just lay there until an ambulance shows up. I may stagger out of the traffic lanes before collapsing, if I can. This way a police report will have to be filed or there will at least be some written record of the collision.

Well, she'd get a slap.

I couldn't really think whether I should call the cops or what. A couple people came up and such. If I was injured, I'd have called for sure. But I'm just out a tire.

I commute to work 4-5 times a week on a Gunnar Roadie, so the stories are endless. But my best one was when I left work. I was on the side access road. There was a blacktopping crews trailer parked on the opposite side of the road.One of their semis with the dumpbox trailer pulled out from a cross road on the opposite side of the road towards me. Stopped, looked at me, then entered my lane to go around their trailer and ran me off the road. I was already accross from the trailer at this time. So there was no room for the semi, trailer, and me so I got to take the ditch. I yelled f*** you. To which he proceeded to lock up his brakes and get out of his truck. So I went back to confront him. It was useless. I told him I had the right of way. Considering it was my lane and I was already there. All he said was the hell you do. So in short we probably will never get the road respect we deserve. So just keep one eye in front and one eye over your shoulder and be safe. Idiots are out there every day, every where. Close calls are endless. Just do what you love and be careful of the idiots.

Jeez- people like this don't deserve to be told they are doing something wrong...

It takes 26 muscles to frown at someone who has wronged you, and 7 to puch them in the mouth...I got that quote straight from one of my fifth graders who was sitting in the office after he put it to the test. After hearing why he did it, I thought he was full within his rights:)

I have a bad temper anyway, but a pretty good head. I just figure a quick call to the local police dep. , that alot of my friends work for will put a major cramp in his cdl lic.. So I think if you make your living by driving you might want to use your head when you are driving. Or you may not be making a living.

RobotDeathSquad said:

Just make sure the neighbor who saw the whole incident is willing to be a witness and that driver is in deep sh#t!!! The roads are not safe with these stupid people driving around, they should be taught a lesson... :mad:

RobotDeathSquad said:

Glad to hear you're OK...you should report her anyway, maybe you will teach her to pay attention so she won't kill another Cyclist...

Now is it me? or is it true that most Cycling accidents involve a single Rider...??

When I'm out on the Road alone I always look for other Riders, or Groups of Riders to hang out with...sometimes I start a conversation, and quite often get completely ignored if the Rider is on a spendy bike with Team Colors...or simply Ride close behind a Group because I have a theory that the more riders with bright colored Jerseys, the more visible you are...there's much less chance of a Driver seeing a Peleton of 10 Riders than one loner...

Any comments anyone??
:confused:

RobotDeathSquad said:
I asked if she'd pay for my tire, she said it wasn't her fault she couldn't see me.
So if she "didn't see" the red light she ran when she broadsided a car and killed two children inside, would it also not be her fault? Sorry, but that's an admission of guilt! Her responsibility as a driver is to be aware of her surroundings.

If someone did that to me and refused to pay, they'd find some nice artwork in their SUV's paint job, courtesy of my key. :D Betcha dimes to donuts that her insurance deductible is more than the cost of my tire.

I was thinking the same thing cydewaze. If you'd been a 7 year old on training wheels and she'd run you right over w/ the SUV, i wonder if she'd be willing ot pay for the banged up bike then? Drivers need to be held responsible for all their idiocy, otherwise they'll learn nothing. Definitely file a report. Too bad you didn't get her insurance information.

warrior1 said:
I commute to work 4-5 times a week on a Gunnar Roadie, so the stories are endless. But my best one was when I left work. I was on the side access road. There was a blacktopping crews trailer parked on the opposite side of the road.One of their semis with the dumpbox trailer pulled out from a cross road on the opposite side of the road towards me. Stopped, looked at me, then entered my lane to go around their trailer and ran me off the road. I was already accross from the trailer at this time. So there was no room for the semi, trailer, and me so I got to take the ditch. I yelled f*** you. To which he proceeded to lock up his brakes and get out of his truck. So I went back to confront him. It was useless. I told him I had the right of way. Considering it was my lane and I was already there. All he said was the hell you do. So in short we probably will never get the road respect we deserve. So just keep one eye in front and one eye over your shoulder and be safe. Idiots are out there every day, every where. Close calls are endless. Just do what you love and be careful of the idiots.
Good advice.

I am sure I am imagining this, but since I've toned down my reaction to these dangerous idiots, I seem to have fewer close calls with oblivious or malicious imbeciles trying to kill me.

I even managed to hold my tounge when a woman, driving her SUV and yakking on her bloody cell phone (of course) drove right in front of me from a parking lot Friday afternoon, forcing me into a fairly graceless, screeching dismount. I merely glared at the silly ***** as she mouthed something like an apology and drove off, still gabbing.

Stay safe.

RobotDeathSquad said:

u better make a police report about it so they can have it on file so you can press charges if she doesnt pay. dont file charges just tell em that u want to put it on file so if they need to do a follow up you can. but do it quickly cuz theres a certain ammount of time that u have to do a report. just a heads up

RobotDeathSquad said:

You should have -

- called the cops the moment she said it wasn't her fault as she didnt' see you, ignorance is no excuse because,

- in all 50 States that I'm aware of, unless you are engaged in an illegal activity (running a stop sign/light, etc.) a cyclist ALWAYS has the LEGAL right of way over any motor vehicle,

- because in all 50 States that I'm aware of, and here my knowledge of the law gets shakey, cyclists are NOT legal to ride on the sidewalks and are, BY LAW, required to ride in the streets,

- cyclists being covered by the State "Moving" Vehicle code under the law.

Now, here's the shocker, I work for attorneys here in Los Angeles, and many of them, even the cyclists here, didn't know the above laws! Worse still, most police officers don't either!

Still, these laws are there for your protection and for you to USE to insure you are NOT taken advantage of.

Eric

gemelk said:
You should have -

- called the cops the moment she said it wasn't her fault as she didnt' see you, ignorance is no excuse because,

- in all 50 States that I'm aware of, unless you are engaged in an illegal activity (running a stop sign/light, etc.) a cyclist ALWAYS has the LEGAL right of way over any motor vehicle,

- because in all 50 States that I'm aware of, and here my knowledge of the law gets shakey, cyclists are NOT legal to ride on the sidewalks and are, BY LAW, required to ride in the streets,

- cyclists being covered by the State "Moving" Vehicle code under the law.

Now, here's the shocker, I work for attorneys here in Los Angeles, and many of them, even the cyclists here, didn't know the above laws! Worse still, most police officers don't either!

Still, these laws are there for your protection and for you to USE to insure you are NOT taken advantage of.

Eric
I just go my new road bike last week and I was riding thruogh town when some guy wasnt paying atention, made a right on red, and i was about to go right in front of him when he slamed on the breaks and it scared the hell out of me! im still geting used to my new clipless pedals and I almost fell over when i jerked on the breaks! I istinctinly yelled #$*DAMMIT! He had his window down and he just looked at me like "oops" [he was talking on his cell phone] that just put me in a **** poor mood

Reading warrior1's post made me thing of something that happened to me last fall. I was driving (sorry) my wife's Honda Civic to work one morning and came upon a Michigan gravel train taking off very slow from a traffic light. Knowing how long it takes for these guys to get up to speed, I decided to pass him. He, on the other hand, decided that I wasn't going to pass and veered into the lane I was in forcing me to take to the shoulder to get around him. To which I extended my arm out the window and saluted him. Unfortunately for me there was another traffic light down the road which I got caught at behind a half dozen other cars. Meanwhile the truck driver, who apparently didn't care for my gesture, decided to give me a scare by flying by me in the oncoming traffic lane as close and fast as he could and pass the entire line of cars waiting at the light. However he misjudged the width of his rig and caught my left front wheelwell with his lug nuts, lifting my car right off the ground and destroying the fender and driver's mirror in the process. He never did stop and I ended up chasing him down the road in my little Civic like a rabbit chasing a hippo. In the meantime I was on the cell phone calling 911 who dispatched a local police officer and a Sheriff deputy to where I had finally caught him because the fur was beginning to fly between us. All along I felt I was going to have the last word because this 'professional' driver had actually hit my car while trying to be a smart a$$. I just knew he was going to be in big trouble now. Believe it or not, the deputy proceeded to inform me that the entire incident was all my fault, calling it road rage which started when I flipped the truck off. It didn't matter what the other guy did following that, it was still my fault because I was the instigator. As a result, if I wanted to pursue it further, it would be me receiving the ticket and/or going to jail, not the truck driver. I almost fell over, but decided to drop it there as this deputy was obviously misinformed and take it up with the Sheriff himself the next day, who told me the same thing. I only recite this entire event because, as we cyclists claim as much right to the roads as cars and trucks, we're probably subject to the same road rage laws as they. So the next time you're inclined to shout or otherwise gesture at someone who just cut you off or almost caused an accident, don't!! You could be starting something that doesn't turn out the way you expect it to. Under the road rage laws, anything and everything that happens after your action will be entirely your fault, even if the driver turns around and runs you right off the road (or worse). Even blowing your horn at someone else is considered road rage. Following the advice of the Sheriff, don't do anything to antagonize the idiot, I mean driver. Take down a license number and call the police. Let them handle it. Otherwise you could find yourself in more trouble than the other guy.
Believe It or Not!, Patrick

same sort of thing happened to me.
my 2nd time on a road bike, about 10 ft from my house, we were goin slow and she just pulled out, i fell flat on my side and she just drove off!