Idiotic Drivers. . .

RobotDeathSquad said:
Just had my first close call with my new bike. Stupid lady turned into her drive way RIGHT infront of me (litterally 30 ft or less in front of me). I had to lock up my brakes and the back tire popped and actually bounced my bike up in the air. I slid and my ass hit the back end of her SUV. I stopped and pulled over obviously and she came out to see if I was ok. I was, a little shaken, but all right. I asked if she'd pay for my tire, she said it wasn't her fault she couldn't see me. I gave up because my ride got there (this was very close to my house and I imediately called on my cell phone).

I'm gonna go get it fixed. Take her the bill. If she refuses, I'll call the cops.
Her neighbors saw the whole thing, thought it was a backfire at first. They came over to make sure I was ok.

The nerve of some people.
Less than a month ago a guy pulled out in front of me on my morning training ride. I was going down a slight hill at about 20 - 25 mph. I was in my aero bars and didn't have time to get on the brakes at all. Smacked his front quarter panel, went flying over his hood and landed on the other side. (something almost like the shot from Wayne's World) I broke my hip and had to be transported to the hospital. Had sugery on my hip (introchanteric hip fracture) to install hardware to align everything Picture
So now with over 23 thousand in hospital bills, a future surgery to remove the hardware, I am left dealing with his insurance company. Not to mention my bike is toast. I am healing slowly, litterally taking baby steps. What a blow this has all been to me. I am an active triathlete and am now hobbled. Just thought I would share my "idiotic driver story" since its nice and fresh! Hope everyone doesn't have too many runins with these people. NOT FUN!

SpinninDave said:
Less than a month ago a guy pulled out in front of me on my morning training ride. I was going down a slight hill at about 20 - 25 mph. I was in my aero bars and didn't have time to get on the brakes at all. Smacked his front quarter panel, went flying over his hood and landed on the other side. (something almost like the shot from Wayne's World) I broke my hip and had to be transported to the hospital. Had sugery on my hip (introchanteric hip fracture) to install hardware to align everything Picture
So now with over 23 thousand in hospital bills, a future surgery to remove the hardware, I am left dealing with his insurance company. Not to mention my bike is toast. I am healing slowly, litterally taking baby steps. What a blow this has all been to me. I am an active triathlete and am now hobbled. Just thought I would share my "idiotic driver story" since its nice and fresh! Hope everyone doesn't have too many runins with these people. NOT FUN!
This is precisely why I get so upset by the idiocy of some drivers. Their casual approach to driving can easily become criminal and painful, if not fatal, to us. Sorry for your trouble and best wishes. You'll be back riding soon enough.

tpat3 said:
This is precisely why I get so upset by the idiocy of some drivers. Their casual approach to driving can easily become criminal and painful, if not fatal, to us. Sorry for your trouble and best wishes. You'll be back riding soon enough.
we should have barried cycling lanes, or even underground cyclepaths! lol
i wish.....

pwpaton said:
Reading warrior1's post made me thing of something that happened to me last fall. I was driving (sorry) my wife's Honda Civic to work one morning and came upon a Michigan gravel train taking off very slow from a traffic light. Knowing how long it takes for these guys to get up to speed, I decided to pass him. He, on the other hand, decided that I wasn't going to pass and veered into the lane I was in forcing me to take to the shoulder to get around him. To which I extended my arm out the window and saluted him. Unfortunately for me there was another traffic light down the road which I got caught at behind a half dozen other cars. Meanwhile the truck driver, who apparently didn't care for my gesture, decided to give me a scare by flying by me in the oncoming traffic lane as close and fast as he could and pass the entire line of cars waiting at the light. However he misjudged the width of his rig and caught my left front wheelwell with his lug nuts, lifting my car right off the ground and destroying the fender and driver's mirror in the process. He never did stop and I ended up chasing him down the road in my little Civic like a rabbit chasing a hippo. In the meantime I was on the cell phone calling 911 who dispatched a local police officer and a Sheriff deputy to where I had finally caught him because the fur was beginning to fly between us. All along I felt I was going to have the last word because this 'professional' driver had actually hit my car while trying to be a smart a$$. I just knew he was going to be in big trouble now. Believe it or not, the deputy proceeded to inform me that the entire incident was all my fault, calling it road rage which started when I flipped the truck off. It didn't matter what the other guy did following that, it was still my fault because I was the instigator. As a result, if I wanted to pursue it further, it would be me receiving the ticket and/or going to jail, not the truck driver. I almost fell over, but decided to drop it there as this deputy was obviously misinformed and take it up with the Sheriff himself the next day, who told me the same thing. I only recite this entire event because, as we cyclists claim as much right to the roads as cars and trucks, we're probably subject to the same road rage laws as they. So the next time you're inclined to shout or otherwise gesture at someone who just cut you off or almost caused an accident, don't!! You could be starting something that doesn't turn out the way you expect it to. Under the road rage laws, anything and everything that happens after your action will be entirely your fault, even if the driver turns around and runs you right off the road (or worse). Even blowing your horn at someone else is considered road rage. Following the advice of the Sheriff, don't do anything to antagonize the idiot, I mean driver. Take down a license number and call the police. Let them handle it. Otherwise you could find yourself in more trouble than the other guy.
Believe It or Not!, Patrick
Is it possible the sheriff and his deputy are wrong about this? Nevermind that the truck driver incited the whole thing by squeezing you, but he caused property damage and could have caused injury with his wrecklessness.

Too late now, I suppose, but I would have spoken to a lawyer in a case like that.

gemelk, I'm pretty sure that's true of 49 states. Unfortunately Illinois is still stuck with a brain-dead state Supreme Court decision from the late 1990s (4-3 margin of course, in the aptly named "Boub" case) that severely relegates cyclists to second-class status unless bike lanes are clearly painted, in which case of course then the city is liable, whereas with this decision their liability is reduced by removing bike lanes -- so only Chicago and a couple of other places with the necessary combination of policy bull-headedness (think Mayor Daley in mid-rant), cyclists' friends in high places (think Mayor Daley in mid-rant again) and economies of scale (think officials with a large enough budget that they aren't worried about lawsuit) feel that they can afford to have bike lanes. Ever year, a law overturning this court decision almost passes the legislature, and every year they balk at the last minute.

Sooner or later, someone in a non-bike-lane community is going to be unnecessarily left completely hanging, because of this court decision -- if indeed it hasn't already happened.

It's a big problem in Illinois because by far the worst habit of most drivers in this state is that they have not yet discovered the invention of the turn signal. Which sounds like part of the problem with the driver that inspired this thread.