Idiots Guide to Downloading from Powertap SL?

redbiker

Apr 19, 2006
I'm trying to use Cycling Peaks to download data from my Powertap SL.

I have not previously used the software that came with the powertap.

I have a serial to USB convertor cable set-up as COM4. Windows (XP) seems to be happy enough that the port is working OK.

When I attached the Powertap computer to the download cradle the message "Host" is displayed on the screen.

I've set up Cycling Peaks to look at COM4 and told it that I'm using a Powertap. When I hit the download button in Cycling Peaks, it searches for the Powertap for a few seconds and then gives an error message.

Is there a simple guide anywhere that goes through step by step what I need to do to get this to work?

Surely it can't be that hard!??
:rolleyes:

Hmmm...not at my home computer but I remember having the same kind of issues when I first started using cyclingpeaks. Can't quite remember how I got through them though but here's what comes to mind.

You might try setting up with a differenct COM port.

Does your computer have a serial port? Might be your connector.

Also, I remember a couple of times having to select the download option from the File drop down box in order to get it to work, as opposed to using the icon. You might try that.

Hope this helps.

redbiker said:
I'm trying to use Cycling Peaks to download data from my Powertap SL.

I have not previously used the software that came with the powertap.

I have a serial to USB convertor cable set-up as COM4. Windows (XP) seems to be happy enough that the port is working OK.

When I attached the Powertap computer to the download cradle the message "Host" is displayed on the screen.

I've set up Cycling Peaks to look at COM4 and told it that I'm using a Powertap. When I hit the download button in Cycling Peaks, it searches for the Powertap for a few seconds and then gives an error message.

Is there a simple guide anywhere that goes through step by step what I need to do to get this to work?

Surely it can't be that hard!??
:rolleyes:

I'm afraid that it can be!

Unfortunately, not all serial-to-USB converters are the same, which means that it is impossible to guarantee that CyclingPeaks will be compatible with all of them. So, one possibility is that even though Windows XP says that the port is working okay, it really isn't, at least not from CyclingPeaks perspective. Moreover, a converter that allows you to download directly into CyclingPeaks on one computer may not do so on another one, even both computers use the same operating system. Thus, many times the only solution is to try a number of different converters until you find one that does work.

The other possibility is that, for some reason, the particular COM port that you're using is the problem. For example, I recently ran into similar troubles trying to get Saris' PowerAgent software to download using their new pseudo-USB cable, and had to reassign the COM port to get it to work correctly. So, a rule62 suggested, you might try another assignment to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks guys.

I re-assigned to COM1 and it worked straight away.

Right, now to go an learn how to use Cycling Peaks!

Did the FTP test this morning. 271Watts. Body weight 74kg.

OK, not a world beater, but at least it gives me something to work on!!

Thanks for your assistance.

Sweet...when you get some more ride data, be sure and play around creating yourself some different types of graphs. You can do a lot more with the data than just what you see in the default set-up. Have fun! ;)