Idiots on the A1

"Geoff Lane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Now Cyclecraft advocates positioning yourself to deter movements from
> others which could increase risk to yourself. In this case AIUI that would
> be taking the primary riding position to prevent the following motorist
> from dangerously overtaking - which is effectively what the "outer"
> cyclist
> was doing.
>
> --
> Geoff

And let's not forget that it's Cyclecraft advice that has been adopted in
the new National Cycle Training Standards...

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

--
In Memoriam

http://www.drypool.net/cgi-bin/system.pl?id=nfflist
"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:12:16 +0100 someone who may be "Robert
> Peffers." <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>> Reading between your lines, and particularly your second paragraph, I
>>> suspect that if you could have "squeezed past" you would have - even
>>> though
>>> that would have been unsafe. So, IMO the cyclists' are completely
>>> vindicated.
>>>

>>Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.

> Which law is that then?.........<

One might argue that the statutes of courtesy and decency should come into
play in such a situation - but, since cyclists are (generally) entirely
ignorant of such social niceties, it would be wiser to suggest to them that
the ancient law of self-preservation should be rigorously applied.

You will doubtless have heard of Mike O'Day -

"Here is the grave of Mike O'Day
Who died defending his right of way.
His right was clear, his will was strong -
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"

To which couplet might be added another of my own composition:

"When cycling down a narrow road
Obstructing my car and heavy load,
Then wisdom should come into play
And make you get out of my way -
For if, alas, my vehicle tyre
Should knock your cycle in the mire
Before it passed over your head,
I would be fined -
But you'd be dead."

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:44:35 +0100,
I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... <[email protected]> wrote:

> --
> In Memoriam

[snip]

> To which couplet might be added another of my own composition:
>
> "When cycling down a narrow road
> Obstructing my car and heavy load,
> Then wisdom should come into play
> And make you get out of my way -
> For if, alas, my vehicle tyre
> Should knock your cycle in the mire
> Before it passed over your head,
> I would be fined -
> But you'd be dead."

Another Mr Toad who believes he should be free to kill people on the
roads. Strange how you aren't brave enough to use your real name.

I guess that doggerel was to replace the lack of an apology for being
wrong about the two-abreast comment?

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

I've lost my Marbles!..... wrote:

> "When cycling down a narrow road
> Obstructing my car and heavy load,
> Then wisdom should come into play
> And make you get out of my way -
> For if, alas, my vehicle tyre
> Should knock your cycle in the mire
> Before it passed over your head,
> I would be fined -
> But you'd be dead."

I can just see the caravan carnage across the country this summer as
other vehicles start to take similar action in response to being held up
by caravans. They collapse so easily too with barely a scratch on your
car and I doubt there would even be a fine ;-^)

Tony

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:44:35 +0100 someone who may be "I've lost my
Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>One might argue that the statutes of courtesy and decency should come into
>play in such a situation - but, since cyclists are (generally) entirely
>ignorant of such social niceties,

Yawn. Nice try but not worth responding to in detail, especially for
someone who hides behind an "amusing" name.

>it would be wiser to suggest to them that
>the ancient law of self-preservation should be rigorously applied.

It may well have been precisely that law which they were applying.

See "Cyclecraft" for more details. You are aware of "Cyclecraft" I
take it?

I note that the name of "the law [which] says single file" remains
unspoken. I'm still waiting.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:05:54 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I can just see the caravan carnage across the country this summer as
>other vehicles start to take similar action in response to being held up
>by caravans. They collapse so easily too with barely a scratch on your
>car and I doubt there would even be a fine ;-^)

Indeed. "Accidentally" bumping into a caravan with one's lorry
because the caravan owner was daring to drive it along the road and
thus holding real people up would be so amusing.

Note for the stupid - there is an amount of sarcasm in the above
posting.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:12:16 +0100 someone who may be "Robert
> Peffers." <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>> Reading between your lines, and particularly your second paragraph, I
>>> suspect that if you could have "squeezed past" you would have - even
>>> though
>>> that would have been unsafe. So, IMO the cyclists' are completely
>>> vindicated.
>>>

>>Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.

> Which law is that then? Feel free to post chapter and verse, so we
> may check the veracity of your assertion. If you cannot do so then
> we may laugh at you.

Some of us already are. If mocking the afflicted is no longer pc, is it ok
to laugh at them?

"Artleknock" wrote
>I joined a long
> tail back of traffic.The idiots were all the holiday makers heading home
> from up north.

(Some snips)

Mike Sales

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:44:35 +0100 someone who may be "I've lost my
> Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
>>One might argue that the statutes of courtesy and decency should come into
>>play in such a situation - but, since cyclists are (generally) entirely
>>ignorant of such social niceties,

> Yawn. Nice try but not worth responding to in detail, especially for
> someone who hides behind an "amusing" name.
>
>>it would be wiser to suggest to them that
>>the ancient law of self-preservation should be rigorously applied.

> It may well have been precisely that law which they were applying.
>
> See "Cyclecraft" for more details. You are aware of "Cyclecraft" I
> take it?
>
> I note that the name of "the law [which] says single file" remains
> unspoken. I'm still waiting.<<

Fae whit be ye waiting, Mae bonny wee cyclisting mannie? - fae maeself tae
show you the law?

As it wisna maeself who cited the legislation (it was, in fact, another
feral Scottish creature named 'peffers') Ah cannae obglie ye - an' maw
content maeself wie simply repeating mae advice tae keep well away frae yon
motorised vehciles lest ye be the cause o' delay tae a driver as he collides
w' ye as ye wobble along, and is obliged tae stop and check his car fae
paintwork damage.

Ye ken fine it makes sense.

news:[email protected]...

****-****!......

> I guess that doggerel was to replace the lack of an apology for being
> wrong about the two-abreast comment?<<

Nope, the doggerel was intended to demonstrate how incredibly witty and
talented I am.

Apologies I leave to others, particularly as I didn't make the claim about
single-file cycling.

As far as I'm concerned, cycling needs to be banned PDQ - especially those
bloody silly three wheel things that the real cycle-nerds lie down in!! I
howl with laughter every time I encounter one of *those* (which, mercifully,
isn't very often) The riders (or should it be Drivers?) of these absurd
machines always appear inordinately proud of their stupidity - apparently
not realising that they are candidates for a section under the metal health
act!

"I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> --
> In Memoriam
>
> http://www.drypool.net/cgi-bin/system.pl?id=nfflist
> "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.

>> Which law is that then?.........<

> One might argue that the statutes of courtesy and decency should come into
> play in such a situation - but, since cyclists are (generally) entirely
> ignorant of such social niceties, it would be wiser to suggest to them
> that the ancient law of self-preservation should be rigorously applied.
>
> You will doubtless have heard of Mike O'Day -
>
> "Here is the grave of Mike O'Day
> Who died defending his right of way.
> His right was clear, his will was strong -
> But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"
>
> To which couplet might be added another of my own composition:
>
> "When cycling down a narrow road
> Obstructing my car and heavy load,
> Then wisdom should come into play
> And make you get out of my way -
> For if, alas, my vehicle tyre
> Should knock your cycle in the mire
> Before it passed over your head,
> I would be fined -
> But you'd be dead."

Does the same attitude apply to lorry drivers who get held up by the queues
of cars on motorways at peak times?

On 16 Aug, 16:15, marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert Peffers. wrote:
> > "Geoff Lane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
> >>news:[email protected]:

> >> As a motorist, caravanner, and cyclist:

> >> I suspect that they were just protecting themselves from unsafe motorists
> >> and you from yourself. This was a _narrow_ lane (your assertion), where I
> >> suspect that defensive positioning is warranted. You need road width of at
> >> least the width of your vehicle plus 1.6m (600mm for the cyclist's
> >> handlebars + 1m safety clearance) to pass a cyclist in safety - and that's
> >> if the cyclist is riding "in the gutter". If the cyclist is riding
> >> correctly in the secondary riding position (approximately where your
> >> nearside wheels would track), you're going to need a much wider road.
> >> Also,
> >> it's dangerous to overtake approaching the brow of a hill.

> >> Reading between your lines, and particularly your second paragraph, I
> >> suspect that if you could have "squeezed past" you would have - even
> >> though
> >> that would have been unsafe. So, IMO the cyclists' are completely
> >> vindicated.

> >> --
> >> Geoff

> > Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.
> > Of course you would not know that as cyclists do not pass driving tests -
> > and it shows.

> Which law is that, asking as a cyclist who has passed his driving
> test,three times.- Hide quoted text -

Three tests? have you been banned twice?

On 16 Aug, 16:50, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Robert Peffers.
> [email protected] says...
>
> > Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.

> One idiot to another, eh?
>
> > Of course you would not know that as cyclists do not pass driving tests -
> > and it shows.

> Has it ever occurred to you that many cyclists are actually licensed to
> drive motor vehicles?

Goodness knows how they managed to pass their driving tests

Sir Jeremy wrote:
> On 16 Aug, 16:15, marc <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Robert Peffers. wrote:
>>> "Geoff Lane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Then it is the opinion of an idiot - the law says single file.
>>> Of course you would not know that as cyclists do not pass driving tests -
>>> and it shows.

>> Which law is that, asking as a cyclist who has passed his driving
>> test,three times.- Hide quoted text -

> Three tests?

Yes.
have you been banned twice?

Not even once.

Mary Fisher wrote:

> > Indeed the CTT

> I think that's a typo for CTC - Cyclists' Touring Club

It istands Cycling Time Trials.

You probably remember them as the RTTC - Road Time Trials Council.

They went through a phase of trying to update tehmselves ;-)
I didn't work as they are still firmly wedded to the last century.

John B

> One might argue that the statutes of courtesy and decency should come into
> play in such a situation - but, since cyclists are (generally) entirely
> ignorant of such social niceties,

.... do you say the same of horse riders and tractors?

"I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:44:35 +0100,
>> I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> To which couplet might be added another of my own composition:
>>>
>>> "When cycling down a narrow road
>>> Obstructing my car and heavy load,
>>> Then wisdom should come into play
>>> And make you get out of my way -
>>> For if, alas, my vehicle tyre
>>> Should knock your cycle in the mire
>>> Before it passed over your head,
>>> I would be fined -
>>> But you'd be dead."

>> Another Mr Toad who believes he should be free to kill people on the
>> roads. Strange how you aren't brave enough to use your real name.<<

> ****-****!......
>

>> I guess that doggerel was to replace the lack of an apology for being
>> wrong about the two-abreast comment?<<

> Nope, the doggerel was intended to demonstrate how incredibly witty and
> talented I am.

It didn't work.

> Apologies I leave to others, particularly as I didn't make the claim about
> single-file cycling.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, cycling needs to be banned PDQ - especially those
> bloody silly three wheel things that the real cycle-nerds lie down in!!

You don't know the name of it?

> I howl with laughter every time I encounter one of *those* (which,
> mercifully, isn't very often) The riders (or should it be Drivers?) of
> these absurd machines always appear inordinately proud of their
> stupidity - apparently not realising that they are candidates for a
> section under the metal health act!

At least they know what they're called. You're showing your silliness more
with every post.

Mary

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mary Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>

>>> And timetrials do not normally require police permission - an organiser
>>> can simply notify the police an event is due to take place. Indeed the
>>> CTT

>> I think that's a typo for CTC - Cyclists' Touring Club
>>
>> Mary
>> once a Time Trialist who remembers marshalling and racing on the A1 in
>> the glory days before it was crowded with traffic. Why, there isn't even
>> a Dishforth roundabout to sit on in the semi-dark under a cape any more
>> :-(
>>

> No, it's the CTT: Cycling Time Trials, the governing body for time trials
> in England & Wales.
> Nothing whatsoever to do with the CTC: Cyclists' Touring Club

Ah, thanks for that. things have moved on.

I really am grateful for that - no sarcasm - it's another thread in the rich
thread of whatsit. and i can show off to Spouse :)

Mary

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mary Fisher wrote:
>
>> > Indeed the CTT

>> I think that's a typo for CTC - Cyclists' Touring Club

> It istands Cycling Time Trials.
>
> You probably remember them as the RTTC - Road Time Trials Council.

Yes, I remember that.

> They went through a phase of trying to update themselves ;-)
> I didn't work as they are still firmly wedded to the last century.

You mean like most of the population who were born then?

Mary

--
In Memoriam

http://www.drypool.net/cgi-bin/system.pl?id=nfflist
"Mary Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>

>> "Andy Leighton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Another Mr Toad who believes he should be free to kill people on the
>>> roads. Strange how you aren't brave enough to use your real name.<<

>> ****-****!......
>>

>>> I guess that doggerel was to replace the lack of an apology for being
>>> wrong about the two-abreast comment?<<

>> Nope, the doggerel was intended to demonstrate how incredibly witty and
>> talented I am.

> It didn't work.<

Okey Dokey, let's have your own effort - shall we say 30 minutes? It took
me less than three minutes - but I'm giving you a sporting chance. Off you
go....

>> Apologies I leave to others, particularly as I didn't make the claim
>> about single-file cycling.
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, cycling needs to be banned PDQ - especially
>> those bloody silly three wheel things that the real cycle-nerds lie down
>> in!!

> You don't know the name of it?<

Of course I do, you foolish woman - but 'bloody silly things' is a far
better description than 'recument'

>> I howl with laughter every time I encounter one of *those* (which,
>> mercifully, isn't very often) The riders (or should it be Drivers?) of
>> these absurd machines always appear inordinately proud of their
>> stupidity - apparently not realising that they are candidates for a
>> section under the metal health act!

> At least they know what they're called. You're showing your silliness
> more with every post.

See above - now, stop huffing and puffing, and get a verse posted........(an
orginal one, of course)

But Mary, faced with such a task,
Felt she simply had to ask
For assistance to complete