Idiots on the A1

> I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... wrote:
>>
>> Of *course* these cycle aficionados should be required to carry third
>> party insurance!! If I inadvertently knock one of the dawdling buggers
>> from his contraption and send him sprawling on the ground, there would be
>> the devil to pay!! - lot's of limping, and groaning, and camping it up
>> for the benefit of my insurance company! - but if they collide with my
>> car and damage the paint, whose going to pay *me*!? No-one!, that's who!

> You have a very poor grasp of the basics of insurance. Its to protect the
> person insured from liabilities they may incur not you. Your rights to
> claim against the individual are not reduced one iota by whether or not
> they have insurance. Indeed you will probably take greater pleasure from
> sending the bailiffs in to seize his bicycles than you would from having
> an insurance company pay everything off for him.
>
> And I am sure you will be delighted to know that almost all of us do have
> third party insurance. Its so cheap for a cyclist that they throw it in
> free with my household policy as well as with the membership of the cycle
> clubs I belong to.
>

>> I, along with other motorists, pay for the roads that these spongers
>> appear to think they own! - and compulsory third-party cycle insurance
>> would go a small way to redress the existing inequity!

> Your having a larf bringing that old chestnut up. Back under your bridge
> with you laddie.
>
> Tony

Tony I think you are making the same mistake that I did i.e. feeding trolls.

I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!..... wrote:

> Since his pedal cycle would, presumably, be wrecked, and since most cyclists
> appear to be poorer than a particularly impoverished church mouse, sending
> in the bailiffs (whilst being emotionally very satisfying) would probably do
> very little to pay for the damage to my car!

You really are lost without your Dhobi Wallah to do your thinking for
you. It might surprise you to know that an AA survey found that
cyclists score above average in all measures of material wealth except
satellite dishes. Many can afford to stay in hotels rather than having
to drag a tin sleeping box behind them to save money ;-)

> I have NEVER, ever known third party liability cycle insurance to be
> included with house & contents insurance! - and I've held policies with most
> of the UK's major insurers.

You seem to be woefully misinformed. Perhaps you should hold back from
displaying the disparity between your "prodigious ego" and your actual
knowledge and capability although I can now see why Terry Wogan might
have mentioned you followed by his trademark "can you believe it" Irish
chuckle.

> I suspect that your waffle about such insurance is just an attempt to
> reassure the rest of society - who rightly expect cyclists to stop
> freeloading and arrange the cover which they are too mean/poor to pay for!

As I say, the actuarial risk is so low that even those notoriously
miserly scrooges in the insurance companies throw it in *free*. Its
just not worth the effort for them to collect such a small premium.

As already pointed out, Direct Lines Home Contents Policy says:

"We will pay all amounts you, or any member of your family, become
legally liable for as a result of living in your home, or for any other
reason, as a result of
a) accidental death of or bodily injury to any person; or
b) accidental loss of or damage to property;
caused during the period of insurance shown in the schedule."

They then go on to exclude:
"4)You or any member of your family owning, keeping or using any
a) motor vehicle (other than motorised gardening equipment)
b)caravan while being towed "

So they clearly believe the risk of motorists and especially motorists
with caravans behind are much to large to give away as a freebie.

Please feel free though to go on demonstrating your capacity to be wrong.

Tony

Adam Lea wrote:

> Tony I think you are making the same mistake that I did i.e. feeding trolls.

Prolly right although as a new arrival from wreck.caravanning jury was
out briefly. Certainly has all the laughable delusional grandeur and
paucity of knowledge of the infamous Troll Dolan.

Tony

On Aug 17, 5:19 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Aug 17, 8:45 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You are many times more likely to die of natural causes while
> > cycling than you are to be killed by traffic.

> Really?
>
> I heard about Beryl Burton and no doubt there have been others (I
> won't suggest Tommy Simpson, and I presume you exclude crashes with no
> other vehicle involved). But how many people just fall down dead off
> their bikes each year?

A participant in an organised LEJOG (on which a friend was
participating) had a heart attack and died.
The director of one of Scotlands research institutes suffered a
similar fate, as did the TV gardener Geoff Hamilton.

Not unknown, but still rare.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> On Aug 17, 5:19 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 8:45 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> You are many times more likely to die of natural causes while
>>> cycling than you are to be killed by traffic.

>> Really?
>>
>> I heard about Beryl Burton and no doubt there have been others (I
>> won't suggest Tommy Simpson, and I presume you exclude crashes with no
>> other vehicle involved). But how many people just fall down dead off
>> their bikes each year?

> A participant in an organised LEJOG (on which a friend was
> participating) had a heart attack and died.
> The director of one of Scotlands research institutes suffered a
> similar fate, as did the TV gardener Geoff Hamilton.
>
> Not unknown, but still rare.

Wasn't George Longstaff one of those who departed direct from the saddle
(heart attack IIRC)?
Still, I'd want to see some convincing figures before I thought it
happened more than colliding with a motor vehicle.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 08:43:07 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 8:45 am, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> You are many times more likely to die of natural causes while
>>> cycling than you are to be killed by traffic.

>> Really?
>>
>> I heard about Beryl Burton and no doubt there have been others (I
>> won't suggest Tommy Simpson, and I presume you exclude crashes with no
>> other vehicle involved). But how many people just fall down dead off
>> their bikes each year?
>>
>> FWIW, a jogger died of heat stroke in Japan recently. Cycling is less
>> stressful and generally more effectively air-cooled but I still feel
>> like there are a couple of "death zones" at traffic lights on the way
>> to work...was much worse when I used to wear a helmet though. But I
>> digress.
>>

> Probably a too simply worded statistic because of the self selection -
> many individuals with an imminent known risk of dying from natural
> causes will have ceased cycling prior but the approx stats are the mean
> time to death from natural causes is about the traditional three score
> and ten, the mean time to death from cycling road accidents is approx 40
> million vehicle km divided by say an average speed of 20km/hr or 2
> million hours or 230 years.

The self-selection idea may be supported by the rates of deaths found in
the United States, which are roughly 1 per 450 years of cycling non-stop 24
hours a day; I rather suspect that the cycling population there is composed
more of children and athletes and less of little old ladies have a quick
run down to the post office, and the rates track this.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:17:27 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>> On Aug 17, 5:19 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> Really?
>>>
>>> I heard about Beryl Burton and no doubt there have been others (I
>>> won't suggest Tommy Simpson, and I presume you exclude crashes with no
>>> other vehicle involved). But how many people just fall down dead off
>>> their bikes each year?

>> A participant in an organised LEJOG (on which a friend was
>> participating) had a heart attack and died.
>> The director of one of Scotlands research institutes suffered a
>> similar fate, as did the TV gardener Geoff Hamilton.
>>
>> Not unknown, but still rare.

> Wasn't George Longstaff one of those who departed direct from the saddle
> (heart attack IIRC)?
> Still, I'd want to see some convincing figures before I thought it
> happened more than colliding with a motor vehicle.
>
> Pete.

Yes, it might be a bit of a statistical conundrum; the rates for death
while cycling quoted (at least the ones that I have seen) do not
differentiate between deaths due to "natural" causes and those due to Mr.
Toad. The rates are much lower that the rate of death while living, so to
speak, but it is not impossible that cyclists do live longer than
non-cyclists - not of course, living as much longer as the rate of death
per hour exposure would predict. Whether the likelyhood of longer life is
greater than the likleyhood of being cut down by an IAM member doesn't seem
to have been interesting enough to be directly measured.

> As already pointed out, Direct Lines Home Contents Policy says:
>
> "We will pay all amounts you, or any member of your family, become
> legally liable for as a result of living in your home, or for any other
> reason, as a result of
> a) accidental death of or bodily injury to any person; or
> b) accidental loss of or damage to property;
> caused during the period of insurance shown in the schedule."
>
> They then go on to exclude:
> "4)You or any member of your family owning, keeping or using any
> a) motor vehicle (other than motorised gardening equipment)
> b)caravan while being towed "

Aw, you made it too easy for him! I was looking forward to him coming back
with "I don't see anything about 3rd party cycle insurance in there".

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:

> Aw, you made it too easy for him! I was looking forward to him coming
> back with "I don't see anything about 3rd party cycle insurance in there".

I know but as Adam pointed out it was becoming abundantly clear he was a
troll so easiest to make an informational post for colleagues in the
caravanning newsgroup who maybe unaware of the fact and then consign him
to the killfile. Waiting for him to come back and continue a "debate"
with him was going into the not recommended territory of troll wrestling.

Tony

"I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

My guess is your Dhobi Wallah walked out because your poetry is such ****.

John Griffiths wrote:

> My guess is your Dhobi Wallah walked out because your poetry is such ****.

Perhaps hiding behind that pseudonym is the galactically (in)famous poet
Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings ;-)

Tony

On 17 Aug, 14:09, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Griffiths wrote:
>
> > My guess is your Dhobi Wallah walked out because your poetry is such ****.

> Perhaps hiding behind that pseudonym is the galactically (in)famous poet
> Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings ;-)

I thought she died... something to do with building a new bypass?

Rob

"I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "Mary Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> Of course I do, you foolish woman - but 'bloody silly things' is a far
>>> better description than 'recument'

>> Q E D
>>> Such an ordinary feat.........

> You *do* know that it's considered extremely lame to seize on typo's,
> don't you/

You mean lamer than calling someone a foolish woman? You may mean the
original definition of foolish of course :)

[email protected] wrote:
> On 17 Aug, 14:09, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>> John Griffiths wrote:
>>
>>> My guess is your Dhobi Wallah walked out because your poetry is such ****.

>> Perhaps hiding behind that pseudonym is the galactically (in)famous poet
>> Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings ;-)

> I thought she died... something to do with building a new bypass?

Well if the bypass has been built where are we?

Tony

"Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
>>> And I am sure you will be delighted to know that almost all of us do
>>> have third party insurance. Its so cheap for a cyclist that they throw
>>> it in free with my household policy as well as with the membership of
>>> the cycle clubs I belong to.

>> I have NEVER, ever known third party liability cycle insurance to be
>> included with house & contents insurance! - and I've held policies with
>> most of the UK's major insurers.

> And you've probably never read the terms and conditions properly.
>
> http://www.directline.com/home/HomePolicy.pdf
>
> I think they're a pretty major insurer.

It sounded to me as though he has to have so many insurers because they
wouldn't deal with him more than once.

Mary

"Mary Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "I've lost my Dhobi Wallah!....." <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...

>> You *do* know that it's considered extremely lame to seize on typo's,
>> don't you/

> You mean lamer than calling someone a foolish woman? You may mean the
> original definition of foolish of course :)<<

I am polite enough to refrain from using a more earthy (yet more accurate)
description of you.

Besides, 'foolish woman' is fairly apt - a clucking little busybody, forever
scuttling around and interfering in matters that don't concern her (and
which she barely understands)

Still waiting for your verse, btw (sniggerrrrrrrrrrr)

In uk.rec.cycling Tony Raven twisted the electrons to say:
> Robert Peffers. wrote:
> > It is long past time they were made to pass a test, pay road tax and
> > insure themselves for at least third party.

> I see you knowledge of history is as tenuous as your knowledge of the law.

Aye ... and he forgot to mention all those 'freeloading' motorists
driving vehicles manufactured before 01/01/1974[1]. Presumably they
should be "made to pay road tax" (whatever that is) as well?

[1] Or Smart ForTwo Diesels, Honda Insights ... etc

Tom wrote:
> Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Aye ... and he forgot to mention all those 'freeloading' motorists
>> driving vehicles manufactured before 01/01/1974.

> ITYM first registered before 1/1/1973

Or with less than 100g/km of CO2. In fact the "road tax" payable on
bicycles is identical to what it would be if they were assessed as cars.

Tony

Alistair Gunn wrote:

> Aye ... and he forgot to mention all those 'freeloading' motorists
> driving vehicles manufactured before 01/01/1974[1].

"freeloading"!!! Do you think that those who are exempt from paying the
annual motor vehicle road tax are also exempt from paying the much more
unjust, and much more onerous 200% tax on motor fuel???

--
Matt B