Idiots riding, talking in cell phones, holding dog leashes, no helmets - what could possibly go wron

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
Not a long rant, I just wanted to comment on the sheer stupidity I observe frequently on my own street. There is a couple with a Doberman. Every day, either husband or wife is on a bike, no helmet, riding the left edge of the road, dog on a roughly 10 foot leash running in the grass strip between road and paved sidewalks. Both husband and wife seem addicted to cell phones, holding one up to the right ear while holding the leash and steering with the left hand. What could possibly go wrong?

I saw a girl on a nearby college campus riding no-handed on the sidewalk, head down, texting, WHILE CROSSING A STREET. If she does that very often, at least she won't be contributing the the gene pool.

A couple years ago I was riding one of the Rails-To-Trails bike paths and rode up behind an Amish gal of about 16-20 years old riding an upright 3-speed or cruiser...reading the Bible that was open on the handlebars/stem.

Mad Skillz or God truly watches over drunkards and rolling Bible studies.

jpr95 said:
I saw a girl on a nearby college campus riding no-handed on the sidewalk, head down, texting, WHILE CROSSING A STREET.  If she does that very often, at least she won't be contributing the the gene pool.
That's the number one reason why it's so dangerous driving a car or riding a bike across or around a bike campus. The most dangerous part of my 34 mile roundtrip commute to the University of Arizona was always campus and the area around campus.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
A couple years ago I was riding one of the Rails-To-Trails bike paths and rode up behind an Amish gal of about 16-20 years old riding an upright 3-speed or cruiser...reading the Bible that was open on the handlebars/stem.

Mad Skillz or God truly watches over drunkards and rolling Bible studies.
How did she keep the pages from blowing around?

Maybe she should be introduced to podcasts and a Bluetooth speaker, for everyone's safety.

The Amish throw their trash out of the Yoder-Toters like every day was "I Ain't Got No Trash Pickup" day. Too lazy to take it to a waste basket.

The Amish can own a skid-steer loader but not a bike with pedals.

The Amish drink like fishes. And then toss the beer cans along the roadside.

"How did she keep the pages from blowing around?"

Mad Amish Skillz and Divine Intervention? She had the Bible propped on the handlebars/stem and I'm pretty sure she put her opposable thumbs to work to hold the pages open. That's the easy part. Staying on the bike path while splitting focus between reading and riding...

The Amish throw their trash out of the Yoder-Toters like every day was "I Ain't Got No Trash Pickup" day. Too lazy to take it to a waste basket.

The Amish can own a skid-steer loader but not a bike with pedals.

The Amish drink like fishes. And then toss the beer cans along the roadside.
Are you talking about Amish people or Amish men? This Amish girl sounds impressive.

"Are you talking about Amish people or Amish men?"

The men coming/going from work are the ones I see littering most often. There's good Amish and bad, just like any group. They do seem to toss their **** without a second thought. Just an observation from cycling the local roads and living among them.

The older kids toss their beer cans every which way (rumspringa! party like it's 1899!). I do remember one 'considerate' Amish litters. They would put all 30 cans back in the case and left the case sitting along my farm frontage. Considerate litterers! Easy to clean up after.

The older kids toss their beer cans every which way (rumspringa! party like it's 1899!). I do remember one 'considerate' Amish litters. They would put all 30 cans back in the case and left the case sitting along my farm frontage. Considerate litterers! Easy to clean up after.
I was on a bike tour one week ago and there was this girl there that was collecting trash as we were going... At the lunch stop she was filling a black bag with just the stuff she found around...

Its pretty disgusting to throw junk away like that... but it can be worst. For example once I remember that they had thrown this new "poison" in the sewers and as I was walking along the seaside pavement there would be a 5 meters of clear blue water from the pavement towards inside the sea, you could see the tires on the bottom and everything!, covered with rats floating all bloated and sh%t with seagulls flying over them and snacking...

Now that was a romantic walk... Too bad I did not have a gf with me that day... That would make something to talk about later... Maybe we could sit on the seaside and look at the seagulls eating the rats whilst snacking too, or have a couple beers... Maybe a nice little picknick, or we could take a net and pick up some rats and make a little pile on the seaside... Heeey I know... we could pick our own rats and feed them to the seagulls like they do with corn in Venice...
smile.png
Allthough they say that seagulls tend to be aggressive... I dont believe it... They look so cute and nice and they are classy eaters!
straight-face.png
big-smile.png

Like this but replace with rats and add seagulls with rat tails on their beaks:
love.png

Even worst then beer cans? These styrofoam cups... I mean why they dont make them all paper? How can styrofoam be cheaper then paper? At least paper will disintegrate in a couple of months instead of having aliens coming to earth 2000years after and find nothing but styrofoam cups all over the planet after we will be long gone throwing styrofoam cups to mars whilst making it habitable because of the heavy pollution on earth... They will think that we are the wackiest species ever!
big-smile.png

Or these fantastic blue construction waste bags... You go and do a little contracting in a place... Want to maximize your profit? You skip the gas to the process facility and just place the sacks of scraped paint and empty paint cans in the forest near by... Its the -Green-! way to do it!
big-smile.png

...and ofcourse everytime the trashmen are on 7-day coffee brakes eehmmm I meant "strike" you should not keep your trash in your balcony or garden... You should ofcourse place them in the huge pile of trash on the street were the can is now embedded in the pile of trash... It promotes community spirit... You can take your neighbours and throw a little barbeque or maybe hold hands and sing around the pile...
love.png
love.png
love.png
love.png
love.png
love.png

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

Volnix, can I ask what country you are in? If I had to guess, I would say Spain or Italy.
Yep somewhere there.
smile.png
Will be in Germany soon though if some things work out... Cant f@ckin wait...
confused.png

Originally Posted by MotownBikeBoy

Germany isn't a good place to live?
Its probably gonna be cool. Lots of cycling opportunities too.
smile.png

[SIZE=10.5pt]A lot of those are what I commonly see daily and they are really bothersome, to the point that I want to talk to them and tell them about how dangerous the other things that are pre-occupying them while on their bike. I myself cannot do this because I am really riding it safe when cycling. More and more accidents are happening because of these people and then they blame other motorists or pedestrians as to why they get into accidents. [/SIZE]

I find it hilarious when I see people on bikes doing things they would normally do in the car. I saw someon riding with no hands eating a burger. Just made me laugh. I think riders on their phone bother me the most. Especially when we're in close proximity.

I hate seeing people do that. But I dont care that much about them, I care more about the people that they can hurt, for example some guy walking on the sidewalk and they might hit and injure him. People that do that deserve what will happen to them, but people around don't..

There are a lot of people who just don't seem to take cycling very seriously, and I have to say that I strongly believe that they are the reason that us cyclists in general get such a bad name among the motoring world. I can't believe the number of people who don't even bother to wear a helmet when they're riding, even though protecting your head is by far the most important thing that you should be doing on a bike. There are so many people who don't take it seriously, and this needs to change for sure. Always make sure that you're careful and sensible, as it could change your life one day.