"If a tank runs over a rider, will the insurance pay?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you non quiche eating folks....

The WEB-O-TEX Translation
______________________________________________-
War or not, the Turn cyclist of Qatar will take place

"IF a TANK crushes a runner, the insurance does pay?" Philippe Raimbaud, general manager of the team
cyclist Brioches the Baker, had never put similar question. The prospect to take part in the Turn of
Qatar, of January 31 at February 4, gives the opportunity of it to him.

Neighbor of Iraq and the main thing headquarters of the American army for a possible attack against
Iraq, the small emirate - which invested approximately 1 billion euros to offer offices and hangars
to its hosts - could find himself in the heart of a conflict.

Article with the format text for impression To send by email this article to a friend

And runners with.

Information taken, Philippe Raimbaud knows now that "the insurers of the sporting groupings do
not cover the war risk". For as much, none of the fifteen teams registered for the race plans to
be withdrawn. "I see the organizers badly taking the least risk, we trust them fully", testifies
Marc Madiot, the manager of FDJeux.com, another French formation which must take the direction
of the Gulf.

"We are attentive, but it there does not have a reason for concern, affirms Jean-Marie Leblanc,
general manager of Amaury Sport Organization (ASO), the technical person receiving benefits of the
Turn of Qatar.Je has just spent one week to Doha, where a marathon was recently run, and I noted
there that the continuous normal life. And then we have a permanent contact with Qatar."

The contact in question is a associate of the victorious quintuple of the Turn of France, Eddy
Merckx, to which the cyclist Federation of Qatar - created for the occasion - entrusted the
organization of the second edition of its Turn. Between two stays in the emirate, it affirms that
"Qatar is the surest country of the world" before supporting that "the climatic conditions are too
bad in the north of Iraq to make it possible to the Americans to attack before March or April".
Maybe after the competition. "And even if a war bursts during the Turn, there will be no risk in
Qatar: it is a State which remains neutral, like Switzerland ", continues it. And to recall: "During
the war of the Gulf - in January 1991 -, I was in Dubaï - another emirate of the area for a sporting
competition, and we had not had any problem."

Hamad Al-Nuaini, secretary of the very young Federation cyclist qatarie and managor of the race,
want to be reassuring more. "All the teams confirmed their presence. There is no reason to fear
anything. Everyone here works hard so that all occurs well."

Stéphane Mandard

Robert Chung wrote:

>http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3208--305934-,00.html
>
>
>

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--B_3125762522_228162 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

On 1/18/03 9:10 AM, in article [email protected], "Robert Chung"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3208--305934-,00.html
>
>

Cool...........

Too bad its in FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

San Kinison

--B_3125762522_228162 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding:
quoted-printable

<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: "If a tank runs over a rider, will the insurance pay?"=
</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">On 1/18/03 9:10 AM, in article
3e298a6d$0$11709$79c14f= [email protected], "Robert Chung"
<[email protected]= om> wrote:<BR> <BR> <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">>
http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3208--30593= 4-,00.html<BR> > <BR> > <BR>
</FONT><BR> <BR> Cool...........<BR> <BR> Too bad its in <FONT
SIZE=3D"7"><B>FRENCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</B></FONT> <BR> <BR> San Kinison <BR> </FONT>
</BODY> </HTML>

--B_3125762522_228162--

>From: Cycling Joe [email protected]

>"IF a TANK crushes a runner, the insurance does pay?" Philippe Raimbaud, general manager of the
>team cyclist Brioches the Baker, had never put similar question. The prospect to take part in the
>Turn of Qatar, of January 31 at February 4, gives the opportunity of it to him.

This is really funny for me. When we were on Ft. Lewis in Washington one of the hazards of training
around post was tanks flying out of the woods at 40mph, jumping across the road and being gone
again. It's amazing how well the noise is directed to the rear of these. From the front or side they
are as quiet as a car. If your lost in your own little world on your ride it would be pretty easy to
get picked off. Bill C.

--
"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Brian Lafferty wrote:
>
> > I wonder if Al Q. will be fielding a team---not to race of course but to take other action.
> > Cyclists would be such easy targets of Western
Corporate
> > values.
> >
> Easy...but insignificant.

I wonder what Schroeder's position would be if al Q. wiped out the entire Telekom team.

> It wouldn't be worth the backlash.

Yeah, all those crazed cyclists seeking revenge would be hard for them to deal with. I can just
see them all heading towards the middle east waving copies of Full Tilt. :)

In article <[email protected]>, "Brian Lafferty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Brian Lafferty wrote:
> >
> > > I wonder if Al Q. will be fielding a team---not to race of course but to take other action.
> > > Cyclists would be such easy targets of Western
> Corporate
> > > values.
> > >
> > Easy...but insignificant.
>
> I wonder what Schroeder's position would be if al Q. wiped out the entire Telekom team.
>

Schroeder is opposed to war againt Irak. I fail to see why such an action by Al Q. would make
him change his mind any more than, say, if the Telekom team was kidnaped while racing the Tour
of Colombia.

jyh.

--
=====================================================================
jean-yves herve' /\ Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail --> [email protected] and Statistics /\
University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. --> (401) 874-4400 Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. --> (401)
874-4617 USA \/
=====================================================================

"jean-yves hervé" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Brian Lafferty"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Brian Lafferty wrote:
> > >
> > > > I wonder if Al Q. will be fielding a team---not to race of course
but to
> > > > take other action. Cyclists would be such easy targets of Western
> > Corporate
> > > > values.
> > > >
> > > Easy...but insignificant.
> >
> > I wonder what Schroeder's position would be if al Q. wiped out the entire Telekom team.
> >
>
> Schroeder is opposed to war againt Irak. I fail to see why such an action by Al Q. would make him
> change his mind any more than, say, if the Telekom team was kidnaped while racing the Tour of
> Colombia.

I suppose that Schroeder won't give a **** if Telekom is blow up now that Jan is over at Coast.
But if al Q. touches Jan and a link is ever shown to Saddam, Schroeder has gotta be ready to
roll (to coin a phrase).

BTW, I hear that Chirac has the Foreign Legion on full alert in Corsica in the event anything
happens to Dickey V. in Qatar.

Has anyone heard anything about a rumored Tour of Afghanistan next year? Supposedly, it will be
five stages, all at Baghram Air Base.

Brian Lafferty

"Brian Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I wonder if Al Q. will be fielding a team---not to race of course but to take other action.
> Cyclists would be such easy targets of Western
Corporate
> values.

Better re-read the "Spike's Bike" series before the start...

Status
Not open for further replies.