If anyone can point me in the right direction

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by Aselitto, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Aselitto

Aselitto New Member

I am 6'1" and 210 Pounds I am currently running and I am looking to start doing biathlons and some trail riding. I figured I should be getting a 20" frame. I am looking for a beginner bike, I made the mistake of buying a 100$ walmart special and tore a peddle off on my first hill. I dont have a lot of money, and i dont know exactly where to shop for a used bike. Im guessing if i buy offline the shipping will be very expensive. Or if there is a cheap alternative. I am willing to build or put together the parts. I live in Northern New Jersey. If you have any info or advice I would greatly Appreciate it. I am just getting into this and I would like to know if there is a cheap way to get into it, or if i should really just save up a little while and get something decent.

Tags:

2. Randy Bosma

Randy Bosma New Member

Yes. Maybe check Craig's list for a better used bike to get you started with less cash outlay.

Your height & weight are very similar to where I started about 2 years ago. A Trek 7.3FX has served me well for over 3000 miles now. I am currently pining after an even better model, a road bike so I can participate in the week-long RAGBRAI 2012. Strange things happen when you get into better shape. ;-)

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

At 6'1", a 20" frame is way too small - if you're looking at road (or 'cross) bikes. Something around the 23" mark would be closer. Most road bikes are sold in centimeter sizes - so start around the 58 to 60cm range and go from there. For a mountain bike then 20" may be about right.

You'll want something that'll allow you to put the seat around the middle of the seat rails, with correct fore/aft positioning and use a stem that's in the 10 to 12cm range. Try to avoid a bike that forces you to jam your saddle all the way to the front or back and run a very small or very long stem. If you're built with atypical proportions and have, for example, short legs and a really long torso and arms or have flexibility problems then this may not be possible but in general you want to be balanced on the bike when placed in approximately the correct position.

Craigslist is a good starting point. Have a look and see if there are any bike clubs in the area and if they have a webpage or facebook site, see if there's anything for sale on there. You don't need fancy gear to start racing - you just need a willingness to suffer, dedication to train properly and a bike. A 7 year old Cannondale CAAD3 that's been resprayed with a "rattle can" and bought off CL works just fine.