If everyone would drive GEO metros

On 18 Jan 2004 19:18:56 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote)
wrote:

>They are foreign...

Oh, hey pull up the drawbridge any time you like. Any idea why people started buying Japanese cars
in the first place? Hint: it's to do with the fact that they work perfectly.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:31:41 -0700, Mike Helm <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:26:17 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]>
>
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Scott in Aztl?n <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> You know those electric elevated trains that they have in New York, Chicago, and other major
>>> cities around the world? How much power do you think it takes to move a big steel railroad car
>>> full of people?
>>>
>>> Electric motors are already up to the task, and have been since the turn of the last century.
>>

>>Where does the electricity come from?
>>
>>Fossil fueled or nuclear power plants of course!
>
>But nukes aren't bad for the environment, of course.

I know the ignorent are going to call B.S. on this, but here's a trivia question for you? Which
releases more radioactive material into the enviroment over their normal lifespan, a coal fired
plant, or a nuclear plant?

You guessed it, it's the coal plant. No one accounts for the radioactive carbon and other trace
materials since it's assumed it's 'naturally radioactive material' when a nuke plant has to operated
on a 'zero-discharge policy'.

later,

tom

>>HAND

***************** Our Sites ***************** http://www.CarFleaMarket.com
http://www.VirtualLotteryPool.com http://www.FreelancingProjects.com http://www.LinkSkyRise.com
http://www.Intertainia.com http://www.VoyeurJunction.com - Adults Only! http://www.FindMeShelter.com
(coming soon)

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:58:43 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>Coal and oil-burning plants run at approximately twice the efficiency of a gasoline IC engine, even
>accounting for the conversions from mechanical to electrical energy.

Add transmission losses and battery losses. And pollution from battery manufacture and disposal.

However...

It is possible to generate a lot of electricity carbon-neutral, using wind, solar, hydro and wave
power, so that's not a reason not to try.

Hybrids look like a good idea right now.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On 18 Jan 2004 13:37:43 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote)
wrote:

>So the situation in the UK would be so much better than in Holland, where they are under
>"apartheid."

The situation in Holland is influenced by presumed fault, and they have more problems at
intersections than we do.

>Would you bring out your kids to ride at a major street?

Yes, I frequently do.

Guy
===

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:08:20 GMT, DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:

>>impact. The crash is also, of course, more likely to happen in the first place.

>You have presented no evidence of this hypothesis.

Apart form the evidence, obviously, as previously linked. Thing is, when you go faster, you have
less time to react, more KE to waste in order to stop, more KE to dissipate in case of a crash and
more chance of the vehicle flipping or some other catastrophic loss of control. Risks of all these
things increase with speed. The rate of increase also increases with speed.

Guy
===

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 05:01:40 GMT, "." <[email protected]> wrote:

>how would you like to have to ride your bike 30 miles to and from work every day,

My new job is 20 miles from home, I'm still not driving.

>carry all your groceries, in the snow and rain as well?

I get to work by bike in all weathers, it's no problem.

>Besides, bicyclists regularly ignore the rules of the road, they don't need licenses or insurance,
>and the cops rarely ever bother them, so they have their advantages as well as their drawbacks.

Not like car drivers ever break traffic laws ever...

Guy
===

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:09:36 GMT, DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:

>You take a comment about speed on the interstate, and then leap to a conclusion about the same
>speed in a school zone, and then claim that proves the speed is unsafe anywhere. I would have hoped
>your stupidity was an act, now I know it is really who you are.

If you don't understand the argument ask for clarification. If you don't feel you are able to
understand, slink off back where you came from. If you would rather play ad-hominem than discuss the
issue, then feel free to FOAD.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On 18 Jan 2004 19:10:55 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote)
wrote:

>Yeap. The ticket factory is into full gear. I almost got one this morning in my little Geo Metro.
>Luckily I was second fastest compared to the car that was stopped.

Subvert the system: obey the limit and laugh at the cops standing in the rain.

>Or at least you'd die for a good reason, as it seems to me that having fun is a good reason to die.
>I don't advocate for unlimited fast cars but for smaller cars that allow you to have fun at lower
>speeds, such as my Geo Metro.

Sure, do the gene pool a favour if you want - as long as you don't take someone else out with you,
which is all too often the case.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:13:05 GMT, "S o r n i"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>H. M. Leary wrote:
>
>> Where does the electricity come from?
>
>What a silly question. Everyone knows it comes from those little pig snouts interspersed along the
>baseboard.
>
>Bill "some even have a third nostril" S.

Thought everything came from the Cabbage Patch.

Hummmmmmm......

http://www.Intertainia.com

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:56:32 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>> I know the ignorent are going to call B.S. on this, but here's a trivia question for you? Which
>> releases more radioactive material into the enviroment over their normal lifespan, a coal fired
>> plant, or a nuclear plant?

>> You guessed it, it's the coal plant. No one accounts for the radioactive carbon and other trace
>> materials since it's assumed it's 'naturally radioactive material' when a nuke plant has to
>> operated on a 'zero-discharge policy'.
>
>Actually, I'm more concerned by the mercury that coal plants put out than I am the radioactivity.
>Living in New England as I do, with all the granite around, I get lots of natural radioactivity
>anyway. Mercury's a lot more damaging than low level radioactivity is.

Could be worse, have you check if it's radioactive mercury?

:p

http://www.Intertainia.com

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:00:18 -0600, "C.R. Krieger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you're convinced that speed increases danger, how fast do you *peddle*?

You are correct that my surname derives from the old Cornish for pedlar, but I am an IT wallah.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:20:11 GMT, Brandon Sommerville <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >the term "cager" usually is seen as a derogatory term to describe car drivers.
>
> Ah, well, the argument advanced was one commonly used by speedophiles in pursuit of their absurd
> pretence that speed does not increase danger, so I treated it as such :)

<Sigh!> If only you knew!

I, too, cycle and ride (that's bicycles in the former and motorcycles in the latter). Nonetheless,
I'd rather be running my BMW at 130 mph in Thunder Valley at Road America than be exposed to the
typical bumbling farmer trying to keep his hay wagon from tipping over on me and my Nishiki.

If you're convinced that speed increases danger, how fast do you *peddle*?
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:16:02 GMT, Demetrius XXIV and the Gladiatores <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>Crash risk increases with speed,
>>
>>No, crash risk increases with stupidity.
>

> And speed.

EXCESSIVE speed (for conditions)

Bownse wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>> No, crash risk increases with stupidity.

>> And speed.

> EXCESSIVE speed (for conditions)

And lack of skill. You take someone from BFE used to driving no faster than 45 on mostly deserted
road, stick 'em on a freeway in Houston, or God forbid...Dallas, at 75 mph and they're fright
f**ked. Not a healthy combination. I feel comfortable driving my bike at 85 mph in Houston, because
my brain and eyes have been calibrated to that. Just like playing Tetris over and over. No problem
on level 20 if you spend enough hours doing it. Put a new player in the game on level 20 and they
last about 2 seconds. Mag

Margaret M. wrote:

> Bownse wrote:
>
>>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>>And speed.
>

>>EXCESSIVE speed (for conditions)
>

> And lack of skill.

Which is included in "conditions" (condition of rider, gear, equipment, etc.)

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Put a new player in the game on level 20 and they last about 2 seconds.
>
> How many people are killed annually by excessive Tetris, butthead?

C'mon, you can do better than that. I'm a female. At least call me a

Tetris as an analogy. Then again, I understand if your brain can't keep up with the speed of this
thread. Mag

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:58:43 -0500, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>
>>Coal and oil-burning plants run at approximately twice the efficiency of a gasoline IC engine,
>>even accounting for the conversions from mechanical to electrical energy.
>
> Add transmission losses and battery losses. And pollution from battery manufacture and disposal.
>
> However...
>
> It is possible to generate a lot of electricity carbon-neutral, using wind, solar, hydro and wave
> power, so that's not a reason not to try.

Nowhere near enough! And some of those methods have environmental problems of their own.

> Hybrids look like a good idea right now.

Short term yes, but my money is on fuel cells.

SMH

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 07:05:54 GMT, "Margaret M." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>How many people are killed annually by excessive Tetris, butthead?
>>
>>C'mon, you can do better than that. I'm a female. At least call me a

> You didn't rise to that level.
>

>>You totally missed the point I was making using Tetris as an analogy.
>

> No. Your analogy is totally flawed. You want to weave in and out of traffic, treating other
> motorists as obstacles in your little private game. It would be OK if yours was the only life
> at stake.
>
> Public roadways aren't a Tetris game. You're among those who observe no speed limit. Why don't you
> just decide on the fly which side of the road to drive on as well?

I'm not sure which side you're arguing on... are you arguing for stricter enforcement of the speed
limit or stricter enforcement of KRETP? The latter is, of course, the best way to keep our highways
from looking like Tetris... (as they do now...)

nate

--
go dry to reply. http://www.toad.net/~njnagel

Demetrius XXIV and the Gladiatores wrote:

>>>No, crash risk increases with stupidity.
>>
>>And speed.
>
> So are you saying a five year old driving at 15mph is less dangerous than a professional driver
> doing 85?
>
> How about a comatose vegetable? Would you feel safer being in a car with such a driver at 30mph
> than with a fully functioning adult at 60?

Would you feel safer with a comatose vegetable doing 15 mph or 120?

Even professional race car drivers crash. They occasionally die in those crashes too. And that's
being surrounded by other, professional drivers.

How can this be so?

>>Are you really that stupid? Do you honestly attribute the safety of a limted-access highway with
>>no turns across traffic, few junctions, wide lanes, separated carriageways, long sightlines and
>>long merge lanes, solely to the speed of traffic? Incredible! Here, I've got a bridge you might
>>like to buy. It's nice and safe, I just put a 120mph limit on it.
>
> As long as there are no morons on it, I'll take it. The reason why turns and junctions "cause"
> accidents is becase stupid people cannot negotiate them safely.
>
> Yet these same idiots can drive three times faster with fewer accidents when you take away said
> variables. Because their idiotic minds are not called upon to make as many decisions.
>
> Stupid kills.

Problem is, unless you're on a racetrack, you're sharing the road with the public, and the public
can vary quite a bit in its driving skills.

It also seems *everyone* thinks *they* are a good, competent driver.

>>Oh goody, not just a festering troll, but a foul-mouthed festering troll.
>
> The only foul odor is coming from that rotting mushpile you call a mind. I can see why you would
> propagate the notion that speed and not a lack of mental capacity is fatal.

Or perhaps a lack of mental capacity in thinking speed isn't a major factor in safety on
public roads?

SMH

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> >That isn't technical research, it's a survey.
>
> It's research.

Not meeting the standard for technical purposes.

> There's other research as well. Some which shows that drivers split pretty much equally between
> safe, injudicious, dissociated-active and dissociated-passive, for example. Plenty out there.

Those types might.

> >What people think about their skills does not necessarily bear any relation to what they
> >actually are.
>
> And there I was thinking that was the whole point ;-)

It is.

> >> But when average speeds reduce, crashes and fatalities reduce.
>
> >To what level?
>
> Irrelevant.

Not necessarily, if average speeds are skewed by increasing one tail of the distribution. In which
case it is quite possible that the likelihood of collision will increase with lower speeds
sufficiently to offset the greater likelihood of serious injury in collisions at higher speeds.

> >And if you aren't pushing for the minimum possible, who has any right to say that their chosen
> >point is any more reasonable than anyone else's?
>
> Irrelevant. The point at issue is whether going faster increases safety. The evidence says the
> opposite. You can argue for faster limits if you want, just don't try to pretend that it's for
> safety reasons.

I have not been. But sometimes it is. In fact that would virtually always be the case in the
U.S., in any environment that it would be even remotely likely that those in power would let
limits be raised.

> Faster limits are always about the desire to go faster, in the knowledge that the one who dies
> will probably not be you.

True. And especially if it (a.) actually decreases _everyone's_ likelihood of being involved in a
collision, or (b.) does not significantly change that possibility, you're right.

> This is a very weak argument, as it ignores the possibility of using automated enforcement, say,
> to remove the speed variatiuon pretty much completely. It's funny how in so many things the
> response to spiralling lawlessness is zero-tolerance and increased enforcement, whereas in
> motoring offences it's to cave in.

Zero tolerance does not allow for individual responsibility, and presumes guilt. I do not see that
as a constructive way to run a democratic nation unless the activity being suppressed is always, by
definition, harmful. Besides, even cameras don't catch everyone, nor do they completely eliminate
speed variance.

> You speak from ignorance as well as bigotry here. The point is that the 85th centile creeps over
> time. A limit originally set at 85th centile has over time migrated to significant lawbreaking.
> Increased enforcement has brought the average spees back down, and with them the fatality rate.

I remain suspicious as to whether speed was the major factor in that, unless there was _significant_
migration from the limit. "Speed" enforcement could have accounted for the cessation of other
behaviors as well, and if done with cameras, paradoxically might not be observable. At any rate I
don't have the specific data so I can't really comment.

Speeds have gone up over time, very slightly, in the United States, and fatality rates have been on
a steady downward trend since prior to 1970.

> If you've never been to France then don't presume to judge their driving style or their national
> personality.

Frenchmen. Heh, heh, heh...

Seriously, it's only the individual that matters, in that regard.

> The underlying cause in general is small risks taken very large numbers of times. I stand by that.

Yes, if the risks are large enough or likely enough to cause a collision. As I believe you said, it
isn't black and white. Risk is dependent on situation and ever changing. There is always a point
that, if something happens, there wouldn't be time to do anything about it, except for not being
there at the time. As to who, if anyone, should be considered at fault if anything _did_ happen,
that's again dependent on the situation at hand.

> >given the number of collisions caused by or involving members of the driving public compared to
> >the number of total vehicle miles traveled I do not see that that is a major problem in practice.
> >The likelihood of being involved in a major collision is very low.
>
> But very much higher than in many other countries.

A few other countries, and I suspect not as much higher as some might suggest.

> >> And the car industry, which saw an opportunity to take advantage of a tariff barrier to shore
> >> up its declining domestic market.
>
> >Oh they've long done that anyway, I can't see how it would be a major factor influencing whether
> >people want to buy trucks instead of much more reasonable equivalent cars.
>
> Company pays X to build a car or X-25% to build a truck without the car-standard safety feaures
> and using old engines made on old tooling. That's how it got started.

But that wasn't a tariff barrier, it applies equally to domestic companies. And they started it.

> >It would however help if the latter hadn't been squeezed out by making them too expensive to
> >develop as reasonably priced mass market vehicles,
>
> It's not so expensive that Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and so on can't afford it. That's just
> an excuse.

No, it's maximizing your profit while minimizing your outlay. It should be expected.

> >As to trucks, foreign manufacturers are more than happy to sell theirs here, too, and even make
> >newer bigger ones specifically for this market.
>
> I don't know if the tariff barrier has been dropped now.

It doesn't have to be, they just have to sell enough to make it worth their while.

> >If the roads have enough open space for vehicles to pass without forcing others to slow, then
> >they just aren't going to produce any bottlenecks or other turbulence-causing points in the
> >traffic pattern.
>
> This does not apply to any road in the urban ocntext, of course.

No, nor during periods of congestion, but it does describe many non-urban U.S. roadways most
of the time.

> So don't let them. Make the camera companies not-for-profit.

If that were actually the case, leeway (for passing, etc.) was given, and other strictly binding
rules of use were set, I might not have a problem with it.

> >also useless absent heavy traffic, where speed will not be inevitably connected to
> >collision risk.
>
> Except that this is not the case.

Absent heavy traffic, it is overall when proper precautions are taken. And if they can't be, you
slow down until an adequate distance can be maintained.

> >people are dying anyway, so picking one number doesn't make it any more righteous than the next,
> >just because it happens to be lower. Otherwise you're heading for zero again and that is not
> >reconcilable with vehicle travel.
>
> Great idea - give up entirely. Maybe that's why our fatality rate is so much lower than yours,
> because we haven't.

That is not what I said. Just that _if_ the rate can be reduced by letting people go as fast as the
reasonable majority of them want to, it's rather pointless to hold them back instead, just someone's
power trip because they've decided _they_ hold the Right Number. (Of mph or fatalities, your
choice.) Unless they set it at zero, which no one can dispute is the safest it could be.

> >No, it's following distance and sightlines. Altering the former while still having enough of the
> >latter makes the risk equivalent at different speeds. And smoothing traffic flow in addition will
> >reduce it.
>
> You can never make the risk equivalent at different speeds, because of the kinetic energy of the
> vehicle, dynamics at speed and so on. To take an extreme example: a blowout at 10mph will be
> undramatic. One at 100mph could be fatal under some circumstances.

Sure you can. On roads designed for higher speeds, with wide shoulders and good sightlines, not
considering risks so small they're pointless to worry about--such as being hit by an ice slug from
an airliner toilet. And absent heavy traffic.

A 100mph blowout should not be that dangerous provided you know how to handle it--the vehicle won't
settle onto that tire until you slow down, so as long as you let it coast and don't slam on the
brakes you should be fine. Years ago when I was a new driver the car I was driving suffered a
catastrophic blowout--a piece of metal tore a chunk out of a tire--at ~70mph and it wasn't a
problem. I'd been told a car with a flat tire would pull to one side, but it didn't, until I got
down to about 20 or so. By that time I was already pulling onto the shoulder.

> The very very few are actually members of the very many with whom the law of averages has
> caught up.

I fail to see how that can be deduced from any data. Just that a certain, relatively constant
percentage of drivers cause such casualties.

> We have more children walking on the street, and a smaller proportion of them die under the wheels
> of cars.

I would hope they'd be walking on the sidewalk. It seems like a better proposition all around.

> Germany's record is better than ours and the Dutch better still, not least because they have a
> presumption of fault if you hit a cyclist or a pedestrian.

Ah, good old presumed guilt. That's certainly fair. If anyone is inept enough to run into me they
can damn well take all of the responsibility for it. And pay for the damage to my vehicle as well as
their own medical costs.

> Yeah, I wonder what ity is about the streets that makes them want ot ride on the footway where
> it's statistically five times more dangerous? Someone ought to look into that some time...

I have to add that if the choice was forced on me I''d rather be hit by the bike than any motor
vehicle, but that should go without saying.

> >> Human society is all about interaction. The trend to moving between hermetically sealed
> >> buildings in hermetically sealed cars is surely one of the more socially destructive aspects of
> >> the great car culture.
>
> >Because I'm just a little, well, not anti-social. Unsocial. There's plenty of time during the day
> >to interact whether I want to or not, so I figure I ought to have some time to hole up as well.
>
> And all the better if Uncle Sam subsidises it, eh ;-)

Yeah, well it's no problem of yours ;-]

(Seriously, I really don't care one way or the other--and I was speaking in terms not exclusive
to driving.)

> It depends. At one time the majority view was that slavery was perfectly acceptable., The only
> ones who disagreed were the slaves. Right now the ones who disagree most with deferring at all
> times ot the car, are those who don't or can't use them.

Which isn't _exactly_ the same argument. The data will out, and AFAIC, that's what's important.
Whichever side it ends up supporting. Though I doubt it will be that black and white.

> The point is that slower always equals safer. Or as nearly always as makes no difference, for
> the purposes of establishing a general rule. That doesn't mean it's inherently wrong to go
> faster, just that trying to use safety to justify it is going to be wrong in all buit a very few
> specific cases.

More than a few. But it depends where the limits are set, why they are set, and what types of roads
you're talking about.

> >I consider it to be artificially slow if I could get there much faster with no detectable
> >decrease in safety,
>
> But your view of what's safe is (a) not the only one and (b) not necessarily fully informed.
> There's a road near me witha 40 limit I always thought was completely arbitrary. I cycled past it
> one day and it turns out there's a primary school hidden behind the trees just past the 40 sign.

I'm pretty fully informed about my local environs, and U.S. rural highways however. I'm not arguing
that it's prudent to go flying down roads where you don't know and can't tell what's ahead. Or urban
streets in general.

> Yes. I'm confident we agree on the need for moderate speeds in residential areas. The question is
> on the less obviously peopled streets where cycling and walking are in decline. Setting that
> decline in stone by allowing increased speeds may not be the smartest long-term move.

Nor may doing so by building roads that facilitate that if they aren't really necessary.

--Aardwolf.