If everyone would drive GEO metros

Nate Nagel wrote:

> I disagree that crashes would be reduced. At the current time in the US 85th percentile speeds in
> most interstate locations are still 80 MPH or less which is still well within the envelope for
> most modern vehicles. Therefore we have no choice but to assume that most crashes are caused by
> inattention, lack of skill, or mechanical failure, which are just as likely to occur at 40 MPH as
> 80 MPH. In any case, the

Assuming you are correct that the reasons for accidents are largely the same at 40 as at 80, we
still have the reaction time differential at those speeds. (We'll ignore the physics of mass X
velocity in determining accident severity).

Needless to say, the time to react at 80 is much less than at 40. I'd argue the skill level required
to react AND maintain control of the vehicle is more demanding at 80 than at 40.

Thus, speed can be seen as simply raising or lowering the skill level required to successfully avoid
collision. At 5 mph, we ALL have enough skill to avoid serious collision. As the speed goes up, the
skill level becomes more demanding. People don't make the skill prerequisite thrshold, and more
accidents, and more serious ones result.

SMH

On 20 Jan 2004 18:22:16 -0800, [email protected] (Don Quijote)
wrote:

>> The situation in Holland is influenced by presumed fault, and they have more problems at
>> intersections than we do.

>Is it something we can't do?

It's certainly something we can't do in the UK because every time presumed fault is mentioned we get
the cagers crying into their beer about the "huge" increases it would cause in insurance costs
(estimated by actuaries at no more than £10 per year, under $20), and loads of **** about cyclists
riding on footways and such, completely forgetting that presumed fault covers pedestrians as well,
and pedestrians are over twice as likely to be at fault when they are involved in a crash.

Our cagers want to continue with the comfortable fiction that all those crashes are "just accidents"
and the 90% of crashes which are due to driver error are the rsult of dimwits, not superior drivers
like them (British drivers rate their own expertise at an average 3.9 on a 1 to 5 scale, and
everybody else's at an average 2.7 - over 80% of British drivers rate their own skill as above
average. With all those above-average skilled drivers, the numpties mush hardly ever be out of the
body shop!

>> >Would you bring out your kids to ride at a major street?

>Which would probably bring us back to the time when an extended family was necessary for
>survival... ;)

Nope. See my website for at least one very safe way of achieving this.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
> > I disagree that crashes would be reduced. At the current time in the US 85th percentile speeds
> > in most interstate locations are still 80 MPH or less which is still well within the envelope
> > for most modern vehicles. Therefore we have no choice but to assume that most crashes are caused
> > by inattention, lack of skill, or mechanical failure, which are just as likely to occur at 40
> > MPH as 80 MPH. In any case, the
>
> Assuming you are correct that the reasons for accidents are largely the same at 40 as at 80, we
> still have the reaction time differential at those speeds. (We'll ignore the physics of mass X
> velocity in determining accident severity).

Actually, it's mass X velocity X velocity (mv^2) for the energy which must be dissipated, so the
damage you are going to do if you hit a stationary object at 80 will be 4x what you do at 40.

> Needless to say, the time to react at 80 is much less than at 40.

I would think it would be about 1/2 <Grin>?

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:01:42 GMT, Bownse <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>EXCESSIVE speed (for conditions)
>

> Some crashes happen solely because of excessive speed, all crashes have worse outcomes the higher
> the speed of the crash, all other factors being equal. This latter is something about which the
> speedophiles appear to be in denial.

Absolutely, 100% wrong. There is no magic speed above which a crash will automatically occur.
Otherwise why would we even bother trying to set land speed records if we knew what the limit was?
ALL crashes related to high speed are due to speed too fast *FOR CONDITIONS.*

nate

--
go dry to reply. http://www.toad.net/~njnagel

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:01:42 GMT, Bownse <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >EXCESSIVE speed (for conditions)
>
> Some crashes happen solely because of excessive speed, all crashes have worse outcomes the higher
> the speed of the crash, all other factors being equal. This latter is something about which the
> speedophiles appear to be in denial.

I've heard that the average crash happens at speeds below 40mph. Given this, do you feel that speed
limits should be no higher than 35mph?

/steve
--
Protect yourself on-line. Hide your identifying details in e-mail, usenet, and more. A privacy
service like no other. No one gives you more control over your e-mail than we do!

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:56:19 -0600, Aardwolf <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> It's research.
>Not meeting the standard for technical purposes.

Diddums. Don't like the answer so discount it rather than try to understand it? You sound like a
helmet compulsionist.

>> >To what level?
>> Irrelevant.

>Not necessarily, if average speeds are skewed by increasing one tail of the distribution.

But speed limits generally have a bunching effect on speed distributions, so that's not a problem.

>In which case it is quite possible that the likelihood of collision will increase with lower speeds
>sufficiently to offset the greater likelihood of serious injury in collisions at higher speeds.

It could happen, it just doesn't in practice. Letting everybody drive as fast as they want *could*
in theory lead to them developing much better judgement about speed. What actually happens is they
make the same **** judgements, but much closer to the limits.

>> You can argue for faster limits if you want, just don't try to pretend that it's for safety
>> reasons.

>I have not been. But sometimes it is.

And usually it isn't.

>In fact that would virtually always be the case in the U.S., in any environment that it would be
>even remotely likely that those in power would let limits be raised.

Argument by assertion.

>> Faster limits are always about the desire to go faster, in the knowledge that the one who dies
>> will probably not be you.

>True. And especially if it (a.) actually decreases _everyone's_ likelihood of being involved in a
>collision, or (b.) does not significantly change that possibility, you're right.

But it does increase risk, and the rate of increase also increases with speed. Probability of
fatality given crash rises with the fourth power of speed. Small changes in average speed have
significant effects on overall risk. So that's a very bif "if" you have there.

>Zero tolerance does not allow for individual responsibility, and presumes guilt.

No it doesn't presume guilt, and it allows for individuals to take responsibility for their own
actions: if they choose to break the law, they get prosecuted. They have a choice.

>I do not see that as a constructive way to run a democratic nation unless the activity being
>suppressed is always, by definition, harmful.

Like motoring, for example, with over 40,000 dead every year.

>Besides, even cameras don't catch everyone, nor do they completely eliminate speed variance.

They reduce speed variance and, crucially, they are automated so are much less open to abuse.

>Speeds have gone up over time, very slightly, in the United States, and fatality rates have been on
>a steady downward trend since prior to 1970.

And so they should be. Compare the cars of the 70s with the cars of today, with airbags, crumple
zones and all sorts of other things.

>> The underlying cause in general is small risks taken very large numbers of times. I stand
>> by that.

>Yes, if the risks are large enough or likely enough to cause a collision.

No, they don't need to be, that's the whole point. Not looking twice at a junction - very small
risk. Mostly you see evrything first time. You could get away with it for ever, or you could die the
second time.

>Risk is dependent on situation and ever changing. There is always a point that, if something
>happens, there wouldn't be time to do anything about it, except for not being there at the time.

Yep. And the faster you go, the wider that margin of danger gets.

>> >The likelihood of being involved in a major collision is very low.
>> But very much higher than in many other countries.

>A few other countries, and I suspect not as much higher as some might suggest.

You are about in the middle of industrialised nations with fatalities per car, the worst in
fatalities per head of population. Not sure about per billion passenger km. UK is among the
safest for that.

>> Company pays X to build a car or X-25% to build a truck without the car-standard safety feaures
>> and using old engines made on old tooling. That's how it got started.

>But that wasn't a tariff barrier, it applies equally to domestic companies. And they started it.

The tariff barrier was the light truck levy.

>> >It would however help if the latter hadn't been squeezed out by making them too expensive to
>> >develop as reasonably priced mass market vehicles,
>> It's not so expensive that Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and so on can't afford it. That's just an
>> excuse.

>No, it's maximizing your profit while minimizing your outlay. It should be expected.

Of course, and if your Government is too craven even to publish comparitive injury and secondary
safety stats you end up with dangerous cars. Since the EuroNCAP scheme started car makers in Europe
have actually started to compete on safety. That is a mixed blessing, of course, as the drivers in
"safe" cars then proceed to drive less carefully...

>> >As to trucks, foreign manufacturers are more than happy to sell theirs here, too, and even make
>> >newer bigger ones specifically for this market.
>> I don't know if the tariff barrier has been dropped now.
>It doesn't have to be, they just have to sell enough to make it worth their while.

US manufacturing costs are so high that even tariff barriers make no difference? Amazing.

>> So don't let them. Make the camera companies not-for-profit.

>If that were actually the case, leeway (for passing, etc.) was given, and other strictly binding
>rules of use were set, I might not have a problem with it.

Leeway for passing. Hmmm. Given that cameras here are set for 10% + 3mph, that's plenty of leeway.
If you can't pass safely within that margin, why are you passing in the first place?

>> >people are dying anyway, so picking one number doesn't make it any more righteous than the next,
>> >just because it happens to be lower. Otherwise you're heading for zero again and that is not
>> >reconcilable with vehicle travel.

>> Great idea - give up entirely. Maybe that's why our fatality rate is so much lower than yours,
>> because we haven't.

>That is not what I said. Just that _if_ the rate can be reduced by letting people go as fast as the
>reasonable majority of them want to, it's rather pointless to hold them back instead, just
>someone's power trip because they've decided _they_ hold the Right Number. (Of mph or fatalities,
>your choice.) Unless they set it at zero, which no one can dispute is the safest it could be.

But that's not what's being suggested. What's being suggested is that drivers are allowed to go
faster, which increases risk. The rate won't be reduced by letting them go as fast as they want to
go, partly because according to you most of thema lreadydo that anyway, and partly because of the
laws of physics.

>> You can never make the risk equivalent at different speeds, because of the kinetic energy of the
>> vehicle, dynamics at speed and so on. To take an extreme example: a blowout at 10mph will be
>> undramatic. One at 100mph could be fatal under some circumstances.

>Sure you can. On roads designed for higher speeds, with wide shoulders and good sightlines, not
>considering risks so small they're pointless to worry about--such as being hit by an ice slug from
>an airliner toilet. And absent heavy traffic.

********. In the UK, with some of the safest roads in the Western world, you have a 1 in 200 chance
of dying in a road crash. That's a pretty serious risk. The risk is always less at lower speeds.

>A 100mph blowout should not be that dangerous provided you know how to handle it

Fantasy land.

>> The very very few are actually members of the very many with whom the law of averages has
>> caught up.

>I fail to see how that can be deduced from any data. Just that a certain, relatively constant
>percentage of drivers cause such casualties.

Nope. The proportion in the US is substantially higher than the proportion here, for example.
Everyone takes risks when driving. Small risks. But they take an enormous number of them. And every
now and then the law of averages catches up.

>> We have more children walking on the street, and a smaller proportion of them die under the
>> wheels of cars.

>I would hope they'd be walking on the sidewalk. It seems like a better proposition all around.

Deferring to the source of danger? 30 years ago they could play in the street. Now the children are
blamed if they behave like children. The main difference is that 30 years ago peopel drove as if
there might be children around, now they assume that becauyse there wasn't a child yesterday there
won't be one today.

>> Germany's record is better than ours and the Dutch better still, not least because they have a
>> presumption of fault if you hit a cyclist or a pedestrian.

>Ah, good old presumed guilt. That's certainly fair. If anyone is inept enough to run into me they
>can damn well take all of the responsibility for it. And pay for the damage to my vehicle as well
>as their own medical costs.

Reverse burden of proof, not presumption of guilt. And it has reportedly had a tremendous effect in
moderating driver behaviour around vulnerable road users.

And now I'm going to work out what bike to buy my seven-year-old for his birthday tomorrow.

Guy
===

Stephen Harding wrote:

> Nate Nagel wrote:
>

>>I disagree that crashes would be reduced. At the current time in the US 85th percentile speeds in
>>most interstate locations are still 80 MPH or less which is still well within the envelope for
>>most modern vehicles. Therefore we have no choice but to assume that most crashes are caused by
>>inattention, lack of skill, or mechanical failure, which are just as likely to occur at 40 MPH as
>>80 MPH. In any case, the
>

> Assuming you are correct that the reasons for accidents are largely the same at 40 as at 80, we
> still have the reaction time differential at those speeds. (We'll ignore the physics of mass X
> velocity in determining accident severity).
>
> Needless to say, the time to react at 80 is much less than at 40. I'd argue the skill level
> required to react AND maintain control of the vehicle is more demanding at 80 than at 40.
>
> Thus, speed can be seen as simply raising or lowering the skill level required to successfully
> avoid collision. At 5 mph, we ALL have enough skill to avoid serious collision. As the speed goes
> up, the skill level becomes more demanding. People don't make the skill prerequisite thrshold, and
> more accidents, and more serious ones result.
>

> SMH

IMHO the reaction time necessary to avoid a collision at 80 MPH, under normal road conditions, is
eminently achievable by all but the elderly and otherwise impaired... and also road users ought to
be aware of their own capabilities enough to make the personal judgement as to whether or not they
are capable of driving at such speeds. Now as for the skill level... also eminently achievable, but
sadly US drivers don't seem to get all the skills they ought to have for some reason...

nate

--

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:26:46 GMT, "Margaret M." wrote:
>
>> if you are exposed to driving in a pack of traffic AT A CERTAIN SPEED, your brain tends to
>> "adjust" to the rate of speed and process faster.
>
> If you drive at AT AN EXCESSIVE SPEED in a close pack of cars driven by total strangers of unknown
> driving ability, you have forfeited your brain. You wouldn't leave your kids with strangers
> outside the mall while you popped in to do a bit of shopping, yet your gleefully place your
> family's life into the hands of unknown strangers as you roar down the freeway mere feet from a
> stranger's bumper.

At no point in my explanation did I say anything about riding CLOSE to the bumper of the cars. You
don't survive 26 years on a motorcycle by doing that. You don't survive 26 DAYS doing that.
Everytime I get on the freeway on my motorcycle, my thoughts center on survival. I spend most of my
time avoiding soccer moms in their minivans busy talking on their cell phones, putting on makeup,
turning around in the seat to slap the **** out of their heathen kids, dipping their french fries in
ketchup. Believe me when I say, the quickest way to become a sandwich is to ride the ass of a car or
truck. Anyone who has been riding as long as I have learns this early, or they don't survive. Still,
we sometimes make mistakes. Everyone gets distracted at one time or another. I may ride at EXCESSIVE
SPEED (as you put it), but I guarantee you that I'm not doing faster than the other cars in Houston
traffic, and I'm not causing a log jam. I'm looking for the safest speed that gives me an adequate
space cushion, and leaves me with an escape path. Mag

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:59:50 GMT, "Margaret M."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking for the safest speed that gives me an adequate space cushion, and leaves me with an
>escape path.

Then your ride very differently than the speeding motorcyclists I've encountered on freeways where
I drive. They ride those crotch-rockets that place the rider in a crouching, forward-leaning
"aero", neck-extended position. These riders use traffic as their own personal "slalom course",
exceeding the speed of traffic by a 15-20 mph margin, weaving in and out, passing vehicles on the
right and the left.

One gets the impression that they are playing a game of skill and reaction time but playing with
real traffic.

When you talked of Tetris, it put me in mind of them.

> SO what are you doing here, denying that you are more likely to crash in given conditions if you
> are going faster?

I would deny that such a statement is accurate.

Margaret M. wrote:

> Zippy the Pinhead wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:26:46 GMT, "Margaret M." wrote:
>>

>>>if you are exposed to driving in a pack of traffic AT A CERTAIN SPEED, your brain tends to
>>>"adjust" to the rate of speed and process faster.
>>
>>If you drive at AT AN EXCESSIVE SPEED in a close pack of cars driven by total strangers of unknown
>>driving ability, you have forfeited your brain. You wouldn't leave your kids with strangers
>>outside the mall while you popped in to do a bit of shopping, yet your gleefully place your
>>family's life into the hands of unknown strangers as you roar down the freeway mere feet from a
>>stranger's bumper.
>

> At no point in my explanation did I say anything about riding CLOSE to the bumper of the cars. You
> don't survive 26 years on a motorcycle by doing that. You don't survive 26 DAYS doing that.
> Everytime I get on the freeway on my motorcycle, my thoughts center on survival. I spend most of
> my time avoiding soccer moms in their minivans busy talking on their cell phones, putting on
> makeup, turning around in the seat to slap the **** out of their heathen kids, dipping their
> french fries in ketchup. Believe me when I say, the quickest way to become a sandwich is to ride
> the ass of a car or truck. Anyone who has been riding as long as I have learns this early, or they
> don't survive. Still, we sometimes make mistakes. Everyone gets distracted at one time or another.
> I may ride at EXCESSIVE SPEED (as you put it), but I guarantee you that I'm not doing faster than
> the other cars in Houston traffic, and I'm not causing a log jam. I'm looking for the safest speed
> that gives me an adequate space cushion, and leaves me with an escape path. Mag

He's confused by his need to justify his fear of all speeds all the time. His perception that his
claim is the same as "going to fast for conditions" is at the root of his problem. But to ponder the
latter and understand it's real meaning would probably traumatize him by tear down the walls of his
compartmentalization.

>One gets the impression that they are playing a game of skill and reaction time but playing with
>real traffic.

I'd say that pretty much describes my commute.

>When you talked of Tetris, it put me in mind of them.

I play Civilization.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:24:22 GMT, Bownse <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>SO what are you doing here, denying that you are more likely to crash in given conditions if you
>>>are going faster?
>

>>I would deny that such a statement is accurate.
>

> Clarify: you are more likely to crash in a given set of conditions if you are going fast than if
> you are going slow. Agree or disagree? The evidence to support agreement is rather stronger than
> the evidence to support disagreement, in my view.
>
> Guy

Slow. Bikes fall over.

Real answer: It's unknown with the limited data you present. It's completely situationally variable.

> Our cagers want to continue with the comfortable fiction that all those crashes are "just
> accidents" and the 90% of crashes which are due to driver error are the rsult of dimwits, not
> superior drivers like them (British drivers rate their own expertise at an average 3.9 on a 1 to 5
> scale, and everybody else's at an average 2.7 - over 80% of British drivers rate their own skill
> as above average. With all those above-average skilled drivers, the numpties mush hardly ever be
> out of the body shop!

So long as the authorities post lots of way-too-low speed limits and other overprotective signs
(which any reasonable viewer MUST assume are aimed at an audience much dumber than himself), most
people will naturally believe they are above average drivers. After all, if you define "average" as
someone who needs that kind of overprotectiveness, nearly all drivers ARE above average!

This should be in the FAQ for all five of these groups.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:57:21 -0800, John David Galt
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So long as the authorities post lots of way-too-low speed limits and other overprotective signs
>(which any reasonable viewer MUST assume are aimed at an audience much dumber than himself), most
>people will naturally believe they are above average drivers. After all, if you define "average" as
>someone who needs that kind of overprotectiveness, nearly all drivers ARE above average!

Amazingly, all those above average drivers are responsible for 40,000 deaths in the USA every year.
Apparently more people have been killed by motor vehicles since the invention of the infernal
combustion engine than in all the wars in the same period.

And for some reason all the solutions proposed seem to involve someone else doing something, and
strangely never include the idea of people perhaps driving a bit more carefully. One of the great
wonders of our time.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

> Amazingly, all those above average drivers are responsible for 40,000 deaths in the USA every
> year. Apparently more people have been killed by motor vehicles since the invention of the
> infernal combustion engine than in all the wars in the same period.

And there we have it folks. Sir Green A Lot has made it clear he's in the court of the "Unsafe At
Anyspeed" clown prince of consumerism. Technology and man are the root of all evil; the car being
the height of that EEeeEEeeeeEEeeeeviiiiiil.....

> And for some reason all the solutions proposed seem to involve someone else doing something, and
> strangely never include the idea of people perhaps driving a bit more carefully. One of the great
> wonders of our time. Guy

And where did anyone recently (I've not followed the whole thread) advocate riding without care? All
I've seen is people reasonably disassociate speed with carelessness.

> >> Some crashes happen solely because of excessive speed, all crashes have worse outcomes the
> >> higher the speed of the crash, all other factors being equal. This latter is something about
> >> which the speedophiles appear to be in denial.
>
> >I've heard that the average crash happens at speeds below 40mph. Given this, do you feel that
> >speed limits should be no higher than 35mph?
>
> SO what are you doing here, denying that you are more likely to crash in given conditions if you
> are going faster? You have a hill to climb there, since the laws of physics are against you as is
> the evidence.
>
> If you're just trying to suggest that the reason fast roads have a lower crash rate is because
> they are fast, rather thas because they have no turns across traffic, limited junctions, limited
> relative speed, good sightlines and so on - if that's your idea, then we're wasting our time here,
> but very few people are actualy that stupid.
>
> The reason for the average crash at 40mph business becomes immediately obvious when you consider
> the above.

So you do agree that other factors present far more causality to crashes than speed. I agree,
however it didn't sound like that from your other arguments. Given this fact, how is attacking one
of the least causes going to help reduce crashes? Shouldn't you be focusing on the bigger causes if
your goal is really to reduce crashes?

/steve
--
You simply cannot get more server side control of your e-mail without running your own mail server
and knowing how to program. http://www.cotse.net/privacyservice.html

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:57:21 -0800, John David Galt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >So long as the authorities post lots of way-too-low speed limits and other overprotective signs
> >(which any reasonable viewer MUST assume are aimed at an audience much dumber than himself), most
> >people will naturally believe they are above average drivers. After all, if you define "average"
> >as someone who needs that kind of overprotectiveness, nearly all drivers ARE above average!
>
> Amazingly, all those above average drivers are responsible for 40,000 deaths in the USA every
> year. Apparently more people have been killed by motor vehicles since the invention of the
> infernal combustion engine than in all the wars in the same period.

Hardly. It would take 500 years at that rate to get anywhere near the toll that WWII took (20M+).

> > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 12:57:21 -0800, John David Galt <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > Amazingly, all those above average drivers are responsible for 40,000 deaths in the USA every
> > year. Apparently more people have been killed by motor vehicles since the invention of the
> > infernal combustion engine than in all the wars in the same period.

Let's get some perspective here. Until the day comes when cars are entirely run by computers,
there's always going to be an inherent danger in driving. And until public transportation becomes
more viable than private transportation, there will always be cars. Yes, 200+ years from now people
will be looking back at us and be shocked at how barbaric and chaotic our methods of transportation
are, but technology takes time to evolve. That's life. You have to be willing to accept the risks,
or don't get behind the wheel. And compared to the millions of drivers who DON'T kill anybody, 40000
people is relatively very little - it's surprising there aren't a lot more deaths.

As for your comment about the invention of the oh-so evil "infernal" combustion engine, are you
perhaps implying we should go back to riding horses? Back in the early 1900s, city streets were full
of horseshit which attracted flies and spread disease (not to mention, it smelled BAD). The
pollution caused by horses back before they were rendered obsolete by the gas engine was actually
WORSE than pollution caused by automobiles today. Imagine what it would be like with today's
population level.

- [email protected]

"If it's tourist season, does that mean we can shoot them?"

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 23:28:17 GMT, Bownse <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Amazingly, all those above average drivers are responsible for 40,000 deaths in the USA every
>> year. Apparently more people have been killed by motor vehicles since the invention of the
>> infernal combustion engine than in all the wars in the same period.

>And there we have it folks. Sir Green A Lot has made it clear he's in the court of the "Unsafe At
>Anyspeed" clown prince of consumerism. Technology and man are the root of all evil; the car being
>the height of that EEeeEEeeeeEEeeeeviiiiiil.....

Oh FFS, what is it with you? The entirety of my argument here is that those who are trying to
suggest that increasing the speed limits woudl improve safety, are wrong. That is the sum total of
what I'm saying.

It would be ludicrous to pretend that car drivers are not responsible for large numbers of deaths.
The absurd pretence that crashes are something that happens only to some nebulous "them" is a core
part of that danger.

>> And for some reason all the solutions proposed seem to involve someone else doing something, and
>> strangely never include the idea of people perhaps driving a bit more carefully. One of the great
>> wonders of our time. Guy

>And where did anyone recently (I've not followed the whole thread) advocate riding without care?
>All I've seen is people reasonably disassociate speed with carelessness.

Which was never the point at issue. The argument goes "speed dpoesn't kill, bad driving kills." But
then you look at it and you find that the bad drivers are more likely to kill when they go fast than
when they go slow, so the whole bad driving / speed thing is a false dichotomy. And in doing the
research you find that the concept of bad drivers as some "other" group is also flawed, because most
drivers overestimate their own skill.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk