If Lance doesn't ride, who wins 2005 TdF???

derKaiser said:
Ullrich's got what it takes once he's free of Lance's shadow

But then he has to ride against a more mature 27 year old Ivan Basso. Who do you think will improve more from 2004 to 2005? Ivan or Jan?

Although Jan doesnt have the killer instinct of Lance, Basso is even more of a free-rider. Hopefully this Tour taught Jan a lesson that he'll remember in prep for 2005

gntlmn said:
But then he has to ride against a more mature 27 year old Ivan Basso. Who do you think will improve more from 2004 to 2005? Ivan or Jan?

Lance's suggestion that he may not be riding in the 2005 TdF reminds me a lot of the antics of software companies before they put out a product or upgrade. The public statements are designed to influence the actions of the competition. I don't think this was Lance's intention, but the effect is much the same.

I suspect that many competitors are taking the 2005 Tour very seriously simply because Lance may not be there. If they follow through and show up for the Tour, the competition will be fierce indeed, especially if Lance shows up again in the form he was in this year. I'm glad it's going to be a while, actually. I've had enough of it for now, and I wasn't even racing. :D Imagine what the Tour contenders feel like.

gntlmn said:
Lance's suggestion that he may not be riding in the 2005 TdF reminds me a lot of the antics of software companies before they put out a product or upgrade. The public statements are designed to influence the actions of the competition. I don't think this was Lance's intention, but the effect is much the same.

I suspect that many competitors are taking the 2005 Tour very seriously simply because Lance may not be there. If they follow through and show up for the Tour, the competition will be fierce indeed, especially if Lance shows up again in the form he was in this year. I'm glad it's going to be a while, actually. I've had enough of it for now, and I wasn't even racing. :D Imagine what the Tour contenders feel like.

Indeed! I really can't see Lance taking off a year even though he can if he wants to. I also think he realizes that for him to take a year off would be unfair to his competition and certainly not fair to us, the fans. I think Lance knows this. I think the only reason he said he wasn't sure if he would ride next year is because he doesn't want to think about it yet. He wants to take some time to enjoy his recent victory but I don't think he'll take a whole year to do that.

Mark these words - Lance is going nowhere except for a 7th TDF win. He's way too marketable for the sponsors as a 7-time TDF contender, and too much money is at stake for him to focus on any other race - TDF is where the exposure is. Discovery, Subaru, Nike, etc. will say, WTF are you talking about no TDF - get on your bike and get ready for #7.

WINGNUTT said:
Mark these words - Lance is going nowhere except for a 7th TDF win. He's way too marketable for the sponsors as a 7-time TDF contender, and too much money is at stake for him to focus on any other race - TDF is where the exposure is. Discovery, Subaru, Nike, etc. will say, WTF are you talking about no TDF - get on your bike and get ready for #7.

now that your Armstrong has broken the record I do not think the masses in US will care about it anymore. I mean once you have planted the US flag on the TDF who cares about another win?

paris_boy said:
now that your Armstrong has broken the record I do not think the masses in US will care about it anymore. I mean once you have planted the US flag on the TDF who cares about another win?
That's not how American's think. When an American is out there kicking ass, it just doesn't get old for the American viewer. Lance fever is growing like a snowball - the more times he wins, the more people will care and watch. Besides, he can still beat the record next year... no man has EVER won 7 TDFs... not even Lance Armstrong.

WINGNUTT said:
That's not how American's think. When an American is out there kicking ass, it just doesn't get old for the American viewer. Lance fever is growing like a snowball - the more times he wins, the more people will care and watch. Besides, he can still beat the record next year... no man has EVER won 7 TDFs... not even Lance Armstrong.
Lance needs to get his 7th win now...before age finally catches him. Even Lance is mortal, and if he waits two years, he will be too old. Next year is the year and that will essentially be it for Mr. Armstrong and cycling, retiring with lucky seven!

What the heck. I do not think that Lance will skip the Tour. He might try something crazy and go for the Giro and the Tour (that would silence a lot of the naysayers like me :D ). In any event, assuming he does not show, my dream podium is:

1. Basso
2. Cunego
3. Ullrich

I think we can rest assured that Jan will screw up preparation yet again. He has for a number of years, why should it be any different this time around?

IF Basso stays with CSC and there is no Armstrong, he has a serious chance at winning. He will probably slightly improve his TT-ing and be forced to attack on the mountains (no USPS to hide behind).

Well anyway, that is how I would like to see it go. :p

WINGNUTT said:

Yeah. I think you're right. People on these forums who keep harping about palmares and classics and other, lesser tours are not really looking at it from the point of view of the reigning champion. His sponsors are looking for a high profile race to vend their goods easily. I suspect Lance would lose at least $20 million if he concentrated on the other events and skipped the Tour. Without considering the money, people say he is a wimp for not also doing the other events seriously like long ago champs used to do. But when you do consider the money, it seems foolish to squander your talents in such a way that you lose $20 million. It's a no brainer.

Kloden was sick? or something last two years right?
What happened and will it affect him long term?

Powerful Pete said:
What the heck. I do not think that Lance will skip the Tour. He might try something crazy and go for the Giro and the Tour (that would silence a lot of the naysayers like me :D ). In any event, assuming he does not show, my dream podium is:

1. Basso
2. Cunego
3. Ullrich

I think we can rest assured that Jan will screw up preparation yet again. He has for a number of years, why should it be any different this time around?

IF Basso stays with CSC and there is no Armstrong, he has a serious chance at winning. He will probably slightly improve his TT-ing and be forced to attack on the mountains (no USPS to hide behind).

Well anyway, that is how I would like to see it go. :p

All I have to say is Basso is way overrated. Sure, he stayed with Armstrong in the mountains, but he still lost to him by 6:40 (and with only 1 long time trial). The Ullrich, Vinokourov, and Hamilton of last year would have owned him this year. Basso also lacks that winning instinct that characterizes champions (I believe Basso's Tour stage win this year was his first pro win ever). His podium spot this year was a reflection of poor competition, not personal excellence. Bjarne Riis is a brilliant team director, but Basso is only due for disappointment next year.

izzodesh said:
def basso or kloden..
ullrich is always sick or making up some excuse
Kloden, too, is a total fluke. He's the Raimondas Rumsas of 2004 (minus the doping scandal).

derKaiser said:
All I have to say is Basso is way overrated. Sure, he stayed with Armstrong in the mountains, but he still lost to him by 6:40 (and with only 1 long time trial). The Ullrich, Vinokourov, and Hamilton of last year would have owned him this year. Basso also lacks that winning instinct that characterizes champions (I believe Basso's Tour stage win this year was his first pro win ever). His podium spot this year was a reflection of poor competition, not personal excellence. Bjarne Riis is a brilliant team director, but Basso is only due for disappointment next year.

I can't agree with you Basso has a lot of ability and consider his age. He is only now reaching the age when most great cyclist attain endurance and that is what the Tour is about. Those that can stay close in the Mountain stages and get up the next day and TT. I believe he will get better.

paris_boy said:

I think there might be quite a bit of truth to that actually. I doubt the American media will play it up to the extent that they did this year because (like you said) the record has already been broken.

But it seems like Armstrong is more or less obligated to ride next year since the team has obtained it's new sponsor. If he's not contractually obligated you'd think that he'd feel kind of "morally" obligated. What I mean is that Discovery Network would probably be really ****** if Armstrong just said; "well thanks for the sponsorship of the team, but I'm done". No?