If only I had cycled today.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Jul 3, 2003.

  1. Too lazy to cycle to work this morning. Bus got shot at with some kind of air pistol/ball
    bearing gun - in one window and out the other. Judging by the holes in the windows, my head was
    missed by about 30
    cm. Passenger on other side of bus was missed by about 10cm.

    I knew I shouldn't have been lazy today.

    Love and shakes from Rich x

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

    Tags:

  2. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Too lazy to cycle to work this morning. Bus got shot at with some kind of air pistol/ball bearing
    > gun - in one window and out the other. Judging by the holes in the windows, my head was missed by
    > about 30
    > cm. Passenger on other side of bus was missed by about 10cm.
    >
    > I knew I shouldn't have been lazy today.
    >
    > Love and shakes from Rich x

    If it made holes in two windows wouldn't it be a real gun?

    Where did this happen?

  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Frank X" <[email protected]> wrote in news:be3a2u$hlc$1 @sparta.btinternet.com:

    > If it made holes in two windows wouldn't it be a real gun?

    Or even one hole. An air gun pellet will typically just bounce off a window or only just crack/chip
    it, especially a bus window (much tougher than normal windows). Looks like you were damned lucky
    Richard. Glad you're still here to tell the tale!

    You could look at it another way, as cyclists we're regularly just 30cm or less from being hit by
    lethal motorised objects, so you're tough enough to take a teensy little bullet flying past!
    Although I don't suggest "assertive cycling" on a firing range. ;-)

    Have (bullet free) fun!

    Graeme

  4. On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:24:14 +0000 (UTC), "Frank X" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If it made holes in two windows wouldn't it be a real gun?

    I'm unsure about this. Friends have also said that a "real gun" (whatever one of those is) would
    have gone through both windows, whereas an air pistol would have only gone thorugh one pane.

    However the police officer last night reckoned that a large bullet would have been slowed down by
    the first window and the bullet would be lying on the floor of the bus.

    I don't know enough about firearms.

    The entry hole was higher up than the exit hole so my logic suggests that it was shot from the block
    of flats about 50m from the roadside.

    >Where did this happen?

    It happened in Newtown, Birmingham. For anybody who knows Bham, it was the number 34 bus route on
    the A34 heading out of city at the bus stop opposite Goliath Tools.
    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  5. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 07:24:14 +0000 (UTC), "Frank X" <[email protected]> in
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >If it made holes in two windows wouldn't it be a real gun?
    >
    > I'm unsure about this. Friends have also said that a "real gun" (whatever one of those is) would
    > have gone through both windows, whereas an air pistol would have only gone thorugh one pane.
    >
    > However the police officer last night reckoned that a large bullet would have been slowed down by
    > the first window and the bullet would be lying on the floor of the bus.

    Large? Only very high velocity bullets make holes in windows ( without shattering the window like a
    stone), if the bullet makes a hole in two windows it shows it didn't lose much velocity penetrating
    the first, and wasn't deformed in the impact. What that says to me is that it wouldn't have had much
    trouble going through your head. No I'm not a gun expert but that is what I would call *real*.