If only one trip, where would you go?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by Pat, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is going
    to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but we
    expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions as
    well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    cycling trip in September, where would you go?

    We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece
    (mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus on
    the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but no
    cooking gear.

    thanks,

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. jet

    jet Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:11:41 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    >fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is going
    >to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but we
    >expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions as
    >well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?
    >
    >We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece
    >(mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    >maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    >idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    >summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus on
    >the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but no
    >cooking gear.
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    What about Tenerife? Don't know anything about the cycling there, but
    Armstrong supposedly planned to train there.

    jj

  3. jet

    jet Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:11:41 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    >fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is going
    >to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but we
    >expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions as
    >well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?
    >
    >We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece
    >(mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    >maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    >idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    >summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus on
    >the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but no
    >cooking gear.
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    What about Tenerife? Don't know anything about the cycling there, but
    Armstrong supposedly planned to train there.

    jj

  4. jet

    jet Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:11:41 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    >fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is going
    >to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but we
    >expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions as
    >well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?
    >
    >We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece
    >(mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    >maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    >idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    >summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus on
    >the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but no
    >cooking gear.
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat in TX

    What about Tenerife? Don't know anything about the cycling there, but
    Armstrong supposedly planned to train there.

    jj

  5. C

    C Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
    >So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?

    French Alps. Climb all those hills you saw in the Tour de France.

  6. C

    C Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
    >So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?

    French Alps. Climb all those hills you saw in the Tour de France.

  7. C

  8. C wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    > >cycling trip in September, where would you go?

    > French Alps. Climb all those hills you saw in the Tour de France.

    You get too late in September and the weather can be dicey. High
    mountains passes are usually a June-Aug thing, and even then you might
    get blocked. We had to lay low at the bottom of Passo dello Stelvio on
    June 20th last year as a snow storm had the road closed; it was still
    snowing lightly as we crossed on June 21st
    (http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/italy2004/photos/prato-bormio/Rick-top-stelvio.jpg).
    The high passes in the French Alps can be just as problematic. Even
    the lower, more climatically moderate Pyrenees can be an issue on the
    high passes; we had to portage over snow banks on Col du Tourmalet
    (http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/france-spain2005/photos/May_28/snow_bank.jpg)
    on May 28th of this year! Port de la Bonaigua in Spain, almost as high
    as Tourmalet, was barely passable a couple of days later.

    If I were to do a September trip to Europe, I would think of
    Umbria/Tuscany, or perhaps the Dordogne and Lot in France; the latter
    could easily extend into the Pyrenees if the weather is fine.

    - rick

  10. C wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    > >cycling trip in September, where would you go?

    > French Alps. Climb all those hills you saw in the Tour de France.

    You get too late in September and the weather can be dicey. High
    mountains passes are usually a June-Aug thing, and even then you might
    get blocked. We had to lay low at the bottom of Passo dello Stelvio on
    June 20th last year as a snow storm had the road closed; it was still
    snowing lightly as we crossed on June 21st
    (http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/italy2004/photos/prato-bormio/Rick-top-stelvio.jpg).
    The high passes in the French Alps can be just as problematic. Even
    the lower, more climatically moderate Pyrenees can be an issue on the
    high passes; we had to portage over snow banks on Col du Tourmalet
    (http://www.cycle-tours.com/images/france-spain2005/photos/May_28/snow_bank.jpg)
    on May 28th of this year! Port de la Bonaigua in Spain, almost as high
    as Tourmalet, was barely passable a couple of days later.

    If I were to do a September trip to Europe, I would think of
    Umbria/Tuscany, or perhaps the Dordogne and Lot in France; the latter
    could easily extend into the Pyrenees if the weather is fine.

    - rick

  11. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >If I were to do a September trip to Europe, I would think of
    >Umbria/Tuscany, or perhaps the Dordogne and Lot in France; the latter
    >could easily extend into the Pyrenees if the weather is fine.

    Yes, Tuscany in late September is quite nice.

    Chris Neary
    [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  12. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

    >If I were to do a September trip to Europe, I would think of
    >Umbria/Tuscany, or perhaps the Dordogne and Lot in France; the latter
    >could easily extend into the Pyrenees if the weather is fine.

    Yes, Tuscany in late September is quite nice.

    Chris Neary
    [email protected]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  13. Chris Neary

    Chris Neary Guest

  14. Pat wrote:

    >Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    >fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is going
    >to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but we
    >expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions as
    >well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?
    >
    >We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece

    I think you've hit upon an excellent idea. Crete is a fantastic place
    for a bicycle tour, and September is the ideal time. The tourists have
    gone and the sea is still warm. I was there in April and enjoyed empty
    beaches, but the sea was too cold to enjoy.

    A week or more on Crete and maybe some time on an island in the Aegean
    sea (Santorini?), would be two weeks of paradise.

    >(mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    >maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    >idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    >summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus on
    >the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but no
    >cooking gear.

    Perfect.

    Fly to Athens, go the the port in Piraeus, and take a ferry to Crete.
    You will not be disappointed.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  16. Pat wrote:

    >Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    >fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is going
    >to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but we
    >expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions as
    >well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on a
    >cycling trip in September, where would you go?
    >
    >We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece

    I think you've hit upon an excellent idea. Crete is a fantastic place
    for a bicycle tour, and September is the ideal time. The tourists have
    gone and the sea is still warm. I was there in April and enjoyed empty
    beaches, but the sea was too cold to enjoy.

    A week or more on Crete and maybe some time on an island in the Aegean
    sea (Santorini?), would be two weeks of paradise.

    >(mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    >maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    >idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    >summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus on
    >the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but no
    >cooking gear.

    Perfect.

    Fly to Athens, go the the port in Piraeus, and take a ferry to Crete.
    You will not be disappointed.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Integrity is obvious.
    The lack of it is common.
    *****************************

  17. Go to Corsica. I've cycled in Ireland, England, Scotland, France,
    Spain, Italy, Greece, Corsica, Sardinia, Germany, Portugal.

    I've been to Corsica three times.

    It's very good.

  18. Go to Corsica. I've cycled in Ireland, England, Scotland, France,
    Spain, Italy, Greece, Corsica, Sardinia, Germany, Portugal.

    I've been to Corsica three times.

    It's very good.

  19. Go to Corsica. I've cycled in Ireland, England, Scotland, France,
    Spain, Italy, Greece, Corsica, Sardinia, Germany, Portugal.

    I've been to Corsica three times.

    It's very good.

  20. Sarah Banick

    Sarah Banick Guest

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Here's the situation: we can go on an overseas trip for extremely low air
    > fare because my son works for a major airlines. However, this all is
    > going
    > to change October 1. What the changes will be, we don't exactly know, but
    > we
    > expect the price to jump quite a bit and there may be other restrictions
    > as
    > well. So, my question is, if you had a couple of weeks to go somewhere on
    > cycling trip in September, where would you go?
    >
    > We had planned to go to Ireland, but now we are speculating about Greece
    > (mainly because we've been to Ireland twice---but on car trips). And then,
    > maybe a trip to one of the former Yugoslavian countries would be a good
    > idea. I don't care about the heat, because we are both acclimated to the
    > summer heat here in Texas. We will be taking the Bike Friday Pocket Gnus
    > on
    > the trip and possibly will take a tent and a couple of sleeping bags--but
    > no
    > cooking gear.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Pat in TX

    I've done a tour of the southern islands in Croatia -- absolutely beautiful.
    We stayed on a boat and cycled during the day. The group I went with is
    http://www.island-hopping.de/. They are a German company, but they do
    English as well, and I highly recommend both them and the tour. They only do
    the tour in Spring and Fall, because high summer is too hot. If you do it,
    combine it with a trip to Dubrovnik -- you can't miss it if you're that
    close. Feel free to write with questions.

    Sarah