IF Question

Watoni

Mar 16, 2004
I have tested my FTP throughout the year (season would be too grandiose a term for me), but I am interested in thoughts on whether my ride on Saturday calls my test results into question.

It was a 140 mile ride with about 12,000 feet of climbing and some brutal headwinds!
Ride time was nine hours with a total time of ten hours (met my mom for lunch).

AP was 190, NP 220, IF of 0.775. Is that consistent with an FTP of 284? I certainly had worked hard, but I was by no means shattered, felt good for the rest of the day and went hiking with mom.

Thoughts welcome ...

Watoni said:
I have tested my FTP throughout the year (season would be too grandiose a term for me), but I am interested in thoughts on whether my ride on Saturday calls my test results into question.

It was a 140 mile ride with about 12,000 feet of climbing and some brutal headwinds!
Ride time was nine hours with a total time of ten hours (met my mom for lunch).

AP was 190, NP 220, IF of 0.775. Is that consistent with an FTP of 284? I certainly had worked hard, but I was by no means shattered, felt good for the rest of the day and went hiking with mom.

Thoughts welcome ...
I think you'd have a hard time getting a straight answer. There are too many variables to get an accurate answer. If in doubt just retest. Your ride does, however, sound awesome!

My FTP is 268 and if I'd done a 9 hour ride averaging 190 with 12000ft of climbing I'd be feeling pretty pleased.

grahamspringett said:
I think you'd have a hard time getting a straight answer. There are too many variables to get an accurate answer. If in doubt just retest. Your ride does, however, sound awesome!

My FTP is 268 and if I'd done a 9 hour ride averaging 190 with 12000ft of climbing I'd be feeling pretty pleased.

Thanks. It looked at the file again (I was at work before) and the AP is 187, NP 220 (and it looks like it kept recording time after I stopped riding, but that did not affect the result).

Yeah, I should have done the whole Mt. Tam double, but my mom came to visit for my 35th birthday and was seeming pretty lonely at the rest stop after Coleman Valley where she came to meet me. The last 60 miles are pretty flat (2,500 feet of elevation gain) versus 12,500 or so in the first 140 miles, so I bagged and took her out to dinner and then went hiking in the Muir woods the next day.

Hey, anyone know how to post WKO files?

I suppose the power reduces by ~7...10 % when the duration is doubled. With e.g. 8 % reductions your power with different durations would be:
1 h 284 W
2 h 261 W
4 h 240 W
8 h 221 W

So your NP 221 W is in the expected level at least.