If they ride across the finish line holding hands...

?

_

Guest
....is it a tie?

Do ties ever happen?

(TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

"_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ...is it a tie?
>
> Do ties ever happen?
>
> (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

The last stage of the 1938 Tour when Antonin Magne and André Leducq passed
the finish in Paris with hands around each other shoulders.

Benjo

"DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 23, 2:54 pm, _ <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> ...is it a tie?

> No
>
>> Do ties ever happen?
>>
>> (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

> Lemond, Hinault - L'Alpe D'Huez 1986
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZMkZN-PGCo

It wasn't a tie. Both riders did everything to simulate friendship (at some
point they even spoke to each other, something they hadn=t done for days).
Close to the finish Hinault raised Lemond's arm high in triumph, but
released him just in time to cross the line in first place. Oifficial
results: 1. Hinault 2. Lemond.

Benjo

benjo maso wrote:

> "DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Jul 23, 2:54 pm, _ <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> ...is it a tie?

>> No
>>
>>> Do ties ever happen?
>>>
>>> (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

>> Lemond, Hinault - L'Alpe D'Huez 1986
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZMkZN-PGCo

> It wasn't a tie. Both riders did everything to simulate friendship (at
> some point they even spoke to each other, something they hadn=t done
> for days). Close to the finish Hinault raised Lemond's arm high in
> triumph, but released him just in time to cross the line in first
> place. Oifficial results: 1. Hinault 2. Lemond.

No gifts.

--
Bill Asher

William Asher wrote:
> benjo maso wrote:

>> It wasn't a tie. Both riders did everything to simulate friendship (at
>> some point they even spoke to each other, something they hadn=t done
>> for days). Close to the finish Hinault raised Lemond's arm high in
>> triumph, but released him just in time to cross the line in first
>> place. Oifficial results: 1. Hinault 2. Lemond.

> No gifts.

Lemond gifted it to Hinault

"Geraard Spergen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> William Asher wrote:
>> benjo maso wrote:

>>> It wasn't a tie. Both riders did everything to simulate friendship (at
>>> some point they even spoke to each other, something they hadn=t done
>>> for days). Close to the finish Hinault raised Lemond's arm high in
>>> triumph, but released him just in time to cross the line in first
>>> place. Oifficial results: 1. Hinault 2. Lemond.

>> No gifts.

> Lemond gifted it to Hinault

Absolutely true - in the video you can see him push Bernard forward.

"William Asher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> benjo maso wrote:
>

>> "DirtRoadie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> No

>>> Lemond, Hinault - L'Alpe D'Huez 1986
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZMkZN-PGCo

>> It wasn't a tie. Both riders did everything to simulate friendship (at
>> some point they even spoke to each other, something they hadn=t done
>> for days). Close to the finish Hinault raised Lemond's arm high in
>> triumph, but released him just in time to cross the line in first
>> place. Oifficial results: 1. Hinault 2. Lemond.

> No gifts.
>
> --
> Bill Asher

Unless you are on the receiving end....then it's OK.

It's more a guideline than an actual rule.

_ wrote:
> ...is it a tie?
>
> Do ties ever happen?
>
> (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

1907, Stage 2 Roubaix-Metz
Georget, Emile/Trousselier, Louis

1934, Stage 5 Belfort- Evian-les-Bains
Speicher, Georges/Le Greves, René

1937, Stage 17b Royan-Saintes
Braeckeveldt, Adolf/Wengler, Heinz

1938, Stage 21 Lille-Paris
Leducq, André/Magne, Antonin

Bob Schwartz

On Jul 23, 8:55 pm, Bob Schwartz <[email protected]>
wrote:
> _ wrote:
> > ...is it a tie?

> > Do ties ever happen?

> > (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

> 1907, Stage 2 Roubaix-Metz
> Georget, Emile/Trousselier, Louis
> 1934, Stage 5 Belfort- Evian-les-Bains
> Speicher, Georges/Le Greves, René
> 1937, Stage 17b Royan-Saintes
> Braeckeveldt, Adolf/Wengler, Heinz
> 1938, Stage 21 Lille-Paris
> Leducq, André/Magne, Antonin

Dumbass,

www.****.com.

Sincerely,
Ronde Champ

(C'mon, somebody had to say it.)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:55:22 GMT, Bob Schwartz wrote:

> _ wrote:
>> ...is it a tie?
>>
>> Do ties ever happen?
>>
>> (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

> 1907, Stage 2 Roubaix-Metz
> Georget, Emile/Trousselier, Louis
>
> 1934, Stage 5 Belfort- Evian-les-Bains
> Speicher, Georges/Le Greves, René
>
> 1937, Stage 17b Royan-Saintes
> Braeckeveldt, Adolf/Wengler, Heinz
>
> 1938, Stage 21 Lille-Paris
> Leducq, André/Magne, Antonin
>

> Bob Schwartz

I guess what I wanted to know is:

Can the two riders decide that they wish to tie? In otherwords, if they
ride across holding hands/shoulders/whatever, clearly indicating this; is
it a rule or the custom that the officials must declare a tie?

Sometimes I'd like to see honour trump glory.

_ <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 03:55:22 GMT, Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
>> _ wrote:
>>> ...is it a tie?
>>>
>>> Do ties ever happen?
>>>
>>> (TdF mainly, but other stories of instances welcome.)

>> 1907, Stage 2 Roubaix-Metz
>> Georget, Emile/Trousselier, Louis
>>
>> 1934, Stage 5 Belfort- Evian-les-Bains
>> Speicher, Georges/Le Greves, René
>>
>> 1937, Stage 17b Royan-Saintes
>> Braeckeveldt, Adolf/Wengler, Heinz
>>
>> 1938, Stage 21 Lille-Paris
>> Leducq, André/Magne, Antonin
>>

>> Bob Schwartz

> I guess what I wanted to know is:
>
> Can the two riders decide that they wish to tie? In otherwords, if they
> ride across holding hands/shoulders/whatever, clearly indicating this; is
> it a rule or the custom that the officials must declare a tie?
>
> Sometimes I'd like to see honour trump glory.

Problem is, unfortunately, that the Modern Day PhotoFinish cameras
don't lie

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
ODE to VINO

[email protected] wrote:

> Dumbass,
>
> www.****.com.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ronde Champ
>

> (C'mon, somebody had to say it.)

Well, I do think the Lemond/Hinault stuff is kind
of gay.

Bob Schwartz

"Pay-back is a *****... and preferrably a podium girl." -- BF