If this worked for a swimmer, would bikers try it?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by toxin_free_mom, Sep 29, 2006.

1. toxin_free_mom

toxin_free_mom New Member

hi everyone...I'm going to paste in some information on a swimmer who has made records...and who openly attributes her success, in part, to a particular product.

I am trying to find out if this type of information would encourage individuals participating in other sports to try, use, or even consider the product/line of products.

And as this is a lively crowd (as seen in the anti-depressant thread), I look forward to a variety of input.

Thank you ahead of time.

Tammy van Wisse is a swimmer who has made world records, many of which required great endurance. She has attributed some of her success to one of her sponsors, who sought her out because she had been using one of their products to fuel her achievements for years. Take a look at the following page. I'd like to hear what you think about the product, as well as whether this information affects whether you would try this product or not.

http://www.tammyvanwisse.com/nutrition2.htm

And feel free to look around if you're interested and wanted to check that the information is accurate.

Thank you again!

Kim Paluch-Kingsley
    [email protected]
    http://basichealth.fourpointwellness.com

Tags:

2. Robert_Nashvill

Robert_Nashvill New Member

For what's it worth; this is what I found concerning the "Access bar"

----------------------------------------------------
    Effect of a sports food bar on fat utilisation and exercise duration.

Kolkhorst FW, MacTaggart JN, Hansen MR.

School of Health, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls 50614-0241, USA.

The manufacturer claims that using the Access Fat Conversion Activity Bar increases fat utilisation, which would have a glycogen-sparing effect and delay the onset of fatigue from endurance exercise. This claim was tested using seven trained distance runners who performed two trials of treadmill running at 73% of VO2max to exhaustion. In a counterbalanced design, subjects ingested either one Access Bar with water or water only prior to treadmill running. Times to exhaustion for the control and Access treatment trials were 104.6 +/- 24.9 min and 93.9 +/- 21.4 min, respectively, and were not significantly different (p > .05). Differences between trials were not observed for the respiratory exchange ratio, blood lactate or glucose concentrations, plasma glycerol concentration, or perceived exertion. Based on results from this study, it was concluded that the Access Bar does not affect fat or carbohydrate utilisation and does not improve exercise endurance.

PMID: 9615869 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Here is the link to the website: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9615869&dopt=Abstract

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I read stories/website testimonials like the one in the original post I always find it difficult to separate what fact/truth and what is not...the swimmer's opinion certainly seems credible but it would appear that the scientific evidence doesn't support her conclusions.

Just my $0.02 :)