If you are researching an old bicycle...

OldRoads

Guest
We have these on-line resources:
- Vintage Bicycle Price Guide with over 600 bicycles
- Vintage Bicycle Picture Database (currently with 1268 pictures)
- Serial Number Charts
- Exploded diagrams
- Color charts
- 11 Discussion Areas

To use our site:
YOU DO NOT need to register
YOU DO NOT need to use your email address
YOU DO NOT need to log in

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com

rms wrote:
>> - Vintage Bicycle Picture Database (currently with 1268 pictures)
>> http://OldRoads.com

> Thx, I found my mom's 1948 Raleigh (with rod brakes!) on that page.
> Great stuff!
>
> rms

That page will take me some time to wade through. I am trying to ID an
old single speed 27" that is in a picture with me from about 1951. It
looks to be a 3 speed hub with a chain guard but I can't tell exactly
what and my sister doesn't remember what it was either (it was her bike
since she is 13 years older and would have been about 15 at the time. It
looks like a crossover boy/girl bike since the top bar swoops down
before attaching to the seat post.
I had an old 1960's Schwinn 3 speed and it just would never wear out, so
I rode it on a few Centuries and got some really strange looks from the
elite crowd. It wasn't fast but it took a licking and kept on ticking.
That is a quote from "John Cameron Swayze" in the famous strap the watch
to an outboard motor propeller and give it the gun. The watch flew off
into the studio somewhere and cool as a cucumber he said " I don't know
where it went, but I'm sure it is still ticking, somewhere". I think it
was a Bulova around 1960, but it is in the commercial hall of fame.
If I could build a showroom perfect 1950's 3 speed cruiser I would be in
the garage tinkering more than riding.
Bill Baka

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:41:11 +0000, Bill wrote:

> elite crowd. It wasn't fast but it took a licking and kept on ticking.
> That is a quote from "John Cameron Swayze" in the famous strap the watch
> to an outboard motor propeller and give it the gun. The watch flew off
> into the studio somewhere and cool as a cucumber he said " I don't know
> where it went, but I'm sure it is still ticking, somewhere". I think it
> was a Bulova around 1960, but it is in the commercial hall of fame.

I'm pretty sure those ads were for Timex, not Bulova.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President
_`\(,_ | should on no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams
(_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 06:41:11 +0000, Bill wrote:
>
>> elite crowd. It wasn't fast but it took a licking and kept on ticking.
>> That is a quote from "John Cameron Swayze" in the famous strap the watch
>> to an outboard motor propeller and give it the gun. The watch flew off
>> into the studio somewhere and cool as a cucumber he said " I don't know
>> where it went, but I'm sure it is still ticking, somewhere". I think it
>> was a Bulova around 1960, but it is in the commercial hall of fame.

> I'm pretty sure those ads were for Timex, not Bulova.

Good memory. I wasn't really sure about the brand but I think you have
it right. What made that ad famous was how JCS kept his cool and kept
going. I think that was way back when some of the commercials were live
and not taped or it would never have made it on the air.
Bill Baka