If You Bike At Night You Need A Light

namestakensuck said:
Am I the only one who sees an ad in the first post?
I agree with what you're saying, and I see it, too. Still, I'd like to think that the main point is how important lights are for bicycles while riding in less than sunny conditions. :3 It doesn't matter what brand of bike or light you use, as long as they get the job done in combination with each other. Lights are important on $50 bicycles and $5,000 bicycles!

Its a huge neccesity. If you don't have a light you should not be venturing out there as incoming cars and vehicles will not be able to see you at all! Sometimes having a blinding light is also bad as it blinds the driver from seeing you so keep it at a medium brightness.

I just bought a light - Magnus Innovation. I took my first ever night ride last night (short - only 3 miles) to see what it was like. The light was excellent giving me plenty of sight ahead. The blinking rear light is very bright red (it came with two). I would never ride at night without a light, more so to see what's in front of me as well as letting cars see me. The batteries for the headlight (came with two) are USB rechargeable and the tail lights use CR2032 batteries.

While I would be quick to bash those reflectors that come on most bikes, I will also argue the effectiveness of retroreflective material properly used on a bike. Same for those $1 lights SuperBobby is so proud of vs a proper light, ranging from my Zefal flashlight and tail light to these Specialized lights I have been looking at. (But I hate that flash pattern) Again, one on solid of a night and one flashing at all times in the rear, and draw your frame out in DOT-C2 reflector. It's amazing how soon motorists see that stuff. You don't have to be right in the beam and it shines.

It is required by law in my neck of the woods to have a bike light and all of your reflector should be fully operational if you are riding at night. If you don't you can get cited for a violation. Safety is number one. Drivers need to see you in the dark. If you don't have a light or reflectors then you are at fault.

Froze said:
Reflectors are not all that useful, they only work if the car headlights and your bike is in the right position. Say what you scream? try this, drive your car down a street with lots of cars parallel parked at night and see how many of those cars reflectors bounce back at you like a beacon, and then notice how close you are before they become beacons. Be observant when you're out driving in your car and notice cyclists at night and see how well their reflectors work.
>100 meters is good for me... ...though I do agree, as stated, that "standard 1 inch square bike reflectors" are a waste of time. Not so for DOT-C2 reflector tape applied generously. Lots of reflective surface area makes a huge difference.

...and don't forget a decent tail light...

I have a light on my bike seat, and also a reflector too, you just can't be too careful. If your battery fails then your still covered, if you happen to be cycling at night.

I would recommend rear blinking lights for increased visibility from incoming traffic at night. Reflective jackets are also good when riding at night. I think headlights are not as needed because there are plenty of street lights on city roads. If you happen to ride frequently on a road that has no lighting whatsoever, then you would need a headlight.

You cannot ride at night without lights. Lights will make it possible for you to see the different road signs. Lights also make you visible to other road users including motorists. You should also not forget to wear a reflector. You can be easily knocked from behind by a vehicle when you do not have a reflector on. You may carry extra bulb for your lights to help incase the one you're using blows up.

I am always amazed at the human capacity for doing wholly stupid or ignorant things when I see somebody on a bicycle at night without lights. It just amazes me. Of course I feel the same way about texting and driving, but we all know how much that happens.

Most definitely a biker needs lights at night. The lights are for the biker's safety and for people driving.

I think to ride at night would be a great ride. After all I live in the southern USA and it can get quite hot around here during these months. I think with the sun down it might be a little better of a ride. I would consider riding at night with the use of a lighting source of some sort. I think it would be something that anyone should consider. Those reflectors are not always what they are supposed to be. I know as a driver at night that I have a difficult time seeing bikes during the night. I think if these bikers had lights it would be much easier.

A light is definitely important. Refractors aren't enough and lights don't just help the driver, but it helps you as well. In a dark road, there might be pedestrians that cross the road randomly, better to have a light that lights your path.

I agree, lights are super important! Not only for drivers, motorists, but for other cyclists too. On my way to work I leave at 7am, meaning it's dark for most of my ride, some parts of the cycle path are badly lit and I really *can't* see other cyclists coming in the opposite direction if they don't have lights. The $1 lights work well, I have them, two white and two reds. I feel like R2D2 when I ride, but I'm safe. Get them if you haven't already.

I have reflective tape all over my bike, as well as a dyno light, a couple clip on tail lights, and a couple flashlights I burned-randed to my bike. The reflectors, in my opinion, helps more than does the small lights that are available, but I Don't think either one alone is enough to work well. Both together is hard to miss, though.