If you buy a CF bike, make sure you get a warranty!

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I bought a 2006 Raleigh Prestige this year - got it mail order. The first shipped bike had a bubble on it's finish and I returned it for a warranty replacement. The replacement was shipped to me, but the incompetent bike shop put the front brake on and turned the fork the wrong way and so the frame got gouged by the front brake. So back for a warranty replacement! The nightmare was then I had to wait 2 months for the replacement bike, then I got it and today I was riding it for a workout and suddenly the front derailleur just rips off! The chain was never rubbing the derailleur, and it was on the 39 ring. See the pic! My bike only had 270.6 miles on it!

So, if any of you get a CF bike, make sure it has a warranty!

Now I know that I should never buy a CF bike from ebay, unless it's perfect and at a great discount. I'm looking at Cervelo CF, but they've had terrible quality with their R 2.5. Has anyone had issues with the CF P3 and Soloist ?

Do any of you have stories about failures with your carbon fiber bike?

If issue 3, the FD, is a frame issue, that would mean 2 of the 3 phukups are frame related, and I wonder where Raleigh sourced them from, and what other bike has the same frame...

Raleigh CF frames are made in Taiwan - there's a sticker on the bike that says it.

I have over 560 sensible posts and someone thinks I'm a troll? That's really silly.

JTE83 said:
Raleigh CF frames are made in Taiwan - there's a sticker on the bike that says it.

I have over 560 sensible posts and someone thinks I'm a troll? That's really silly.

There does seem to be an overabundance (is that a word?) of endlessly debated CF threads lately.

Xsmoker said:
There does seem to be an overabundance (is that a word?) of endlessly debated CF threads lately.
Never fear JTE83, at least your post is about real current experience, and not, "A mate said he once saw...blah blah". Or some thread to start a pro/anti cf debate...

Just about everything comes from Taiwan now, including the frames for USA brand bikes costing many thousands, and also some tour de france bikes are using frames sourced from Taiwanese factories. The one frame may be sourced by several companies who then put on their choice of running gear at a nominated price point then place their stickers on it, like Trek 1400.

JTE83 said:
I was riding it for a workout and suddenly the front derailleur just rips off!

Isn't that sort of like the girl whom says she got pregnant in a swimming pool, or the dog ate my homework. "suddenly the front derailleur just rips off" PAAALEASE!!!!

Xsmoker said:
In the words of the Late-Great boudreaux "OMG will the trolls never end :rolleyes: "
Isn't that sort of like the trailer parker who was dropped on his head as a baby and now has 3 teeth and plays the banjo...?

I'm sorry. I just can't stop laughing--"suddenly the front derailleur just rips off"

fauxpas said:
Isn't that sort of like the trailer parker who was dropped on his head as a baby and now has 3 teeth and plays the banjo...?

"Banjo playin' trailer trash" That's really a low blow, especially coming from someone down under considering the fact that continent's favorite song was written by a man named after his father's horse.

Xsmoker said:
"Banjo playin' trailer trash" That's really a low blow, especially coming from someone down under considering the fact that continent's favorite song was written by a man named after his father's horse.
I see your logic...

Don't be dissing Australia mate. We do not all share the same favourite song.

Don't get the Aussie references, but what do you mean the FD just 'fell off'.

No warning? No creaking? Give us some more information... I am curious... :confused:

fauxpas said:

Xsmoker said:

Is this the start of a BANJO duel???????
<cue Deliverance soundtrack> :eek:

Powerful Pete said:
Don't get the Aussie references, but what do you mean the FD just 'fell off'.

No warning? No creaking? Give us some more information... I am curious... :confused:

You've got it all wrong. It didn't just fall off, it suddenly "just rips off"

2 great things septics (that's americans to americans) gave us...

Deliverance and a target...

Xsmoker said:
Do you mean "Waltzing Matilda" , that was about a drifter who stole a sheep and then commited suicide in a pond when he was about to be caught.

Look ma, no brains!!! :D

deliv01.jpg