If you buy a CF bike, make sure you get a warranty!

fauxpas said:
Look ma, no brains!!! :D

deliv01.jpg

DADADA DERE DERE,, Hey, were'd ya git my pitcher?

fauxpas said:
2 great things septics (that's americans to americans) gave us...

Jeez... don't start with the "seppos" over here... it nearly started WW3 over at BikeForums.net and half the Aussies banned or migrated and a mod was ... err.... deleted.

fauxpas said:
2 great things septics (that's americans to americans) gave us...

Is that really a common term? I don't think we have any nasty names for Aussies. In the name of good fun I'd like everyone to propose some.

I doubt we're clever enough to come up with our own so Aussies can submit to.

But I want to hear more about the front derailleur that exploded off of the seat tube without ever even rubbing the chain... I do wonder how it shifted without some rubbing. I don't know about modern derailleurs, but that was how they worked in the old days.

But to get on board, I will suggest a nickname for our Australian brothers and sisters...

A common shortened name for Australian is Aussie, and it rhymes with bossy... and what word symbolizes bossy best??? I propose we use *****!

It can't be offensive because it is based on a rhyme for a common non-offensive term for our friends... Any more than associating Americans with Septic tanks could possibly irritate anyone.

DiabloScott said:
Is that really a common term? I don't think we have any nasty names for Aussies. In the name of good fun I'd like everyone to propose some.

Aussies tend to make terms about other Aussies. In WA we are apparently 'sand gropers' while Queensland are 'banana benders'. Noone knows who made the names, and noone really uses them

dgregory57 said:
But I want to hear more about the front derailleur that exploded off of the seat tube without ever even rubbing the chain... I do wonder how it shifted without some rubbing. I don't know about modern derailleurs, but that was how they worked in the old days.

But to get on board, I will suggest a nickname for our Australian brothers and sisters...

A common shortened name for Australian is Aussie, and it rhymes with bossy... and what word symbolizes bossy best??? I propose we use *****!

It can't be offensive because it is based on a rhyme for a common non-offensive term for our friends... Any more than associating Americans with Septic tanks could possibly irritate anyone.
I have never heard the term 'septic' for an American. It definitely doesn't apply to the vast majority of you. I do see why it is used though, some Americans are full of sh........effluent

DiabloScott said:
I don't think we have any nasty names for Aussies.
Its not a nasty name, its rhyming slang we got from the english...

septic tank = yank
horse's hoof = ****
bag of fruit = suit

There goes a septic horse's hoof wearing a bag of fruit... is...

There goes an american homosexual wearing a suit...

:D

JTE83 said:
The chain was never rubbing the derailleur, and it was on the 39 ring.
I think you shifted too hard to get into the small ring. My hypothesis is that the lower limit screw was adjusted correctly, you applied so much torque with your shifting (to make sure you were all the way onto the 39 ring) that it tore the FD off... :cool:

Are you the incredible hulk? :D

There is no force to get the ring back to the 39, its just the spring tension... human force needed to go to larger ring...

fauxpas said:
Its not a nasty name, its rhyming slang we got from the english...

septic tank = yank
horse's hoof = ****
bag of fruit = suit

There goes a septic horse's hoof wearing a bag of fruit... is...

There goes an american homosexual wearing a suit...

:D

Ah yes, Cockney rhyming slang so popular with you lot. OK, what rhymes with "vegemite munching wombat spankers"?

;)

fauxpas said:
There is no force to get the ring back to the 39, its just the spring tension... human force needed to go to larger ring...
Fine, just blow holes in my theory!!! If I had thought about it, I might have figured that out... probably not, but I might have.

So, now I am back to not having an opinion on the topic... even an unreasonable opinion... :D

Wait! There is still hope... Perhaps the FD was some sort of new fangled derailleur... Kind of like some of the mountain RD's where the spring action is reversed... I know! It was a rapid rise FD... That's the ticket!

:rolleyes:

DiabloScott said:

Do you know what we call a cultured Australian?

A New Zealander.

Back to the OP, only the paint problem was a manufacturing problem, and that could have happened just as easily with a steel or aluminum bike. The other two problems were not even related to the frame, but were due to set-up problems.

The bottom line is not that there is a problem with carbon fiber frames. The problem is in buying bicycles on-line if you cannot set them up properly yourself. I saw an Ibex mountain bike (aluminum frame) where the rear derailleur went into the spokes when the rider shifted to the largest cog. The mishap destroyed the chain, rear derailleur, and derailleur hanger, knocked the rear wheel out of true, and bent the disc on the rear brake. Should I blame this mess on the aluminum frame?

The remaining epoxy where it seperated looks good and there were three pop rivets which look like they were stretched prior to failure.

Just for fun I'll toss out a theory-failure to get right foot in clipless pedal and hit the top of the FD causing catastrophic failure. Now I know why I always leave my right foot in my pedal and clip in my left foot sprinting away from lights!!

I never paid much attention to my FD. It worked better than my other 4 bikes. Maybe there was a little rub but I would have adjusted that. All I know is that it just pops off!

I was also using a special removable link on my Shimano chain.

JTE83 said:
I never paid much attention to my FD. It worked better than my other 4 bikes. Maybe there was a little rub but I would have adjusted that. All I know is that it just pops off!

I was also using a special removable link on my Shimano chain.

Oh!, So now, it "just,, pops off"........common' man, fess up.

I just noticed my chain disappeared also. Maybe the removable link broke, then the chain snagged my deraileur and broke it. But I was biking only 19 mph which is not much power.

Or maybe the chain fell off as I limped home.

Now I just have to lie again that it was a faulty frame.

I'm really messed up now if it's the fault of my chain breaking my frame, as I did use an off brand removable link. I will just say I removed the chain.