If you could live anywhere in the world...

jvanv8

Nov 14, 2006
If you could live anywhere in the world... where would you choose?

Feel free to post a place where you do not live!!! (but wish you did)

Of course we should factor in affordability and normal stuff like education, safety, livability (in, or close to, cities etc) and if it is a 'foreign' land, the acceptance of foreigners...

... in addition to great riding of course! Ability to ride year-round should probably be required for this forum.

So be sure to list the qualifications:

- Riding / Scenery
- Climate
- Cost of Living
- Surrounding area (cities, culture)
- Other stuff (raising families, economic outlook, or anything thing else the place has going for it...)
- Drawbacks?

... there is no "right" answer
smile.gif
But there can be many very good, fun, and interesting answers!
smile.gif

My choice would be outside of Charleston, SC.

- Riding / Scenery : The local terrain is not all that interesting. It is pretty flat to say the least. It is great for interval training, but the scenery is pretty much trees and swamps, that is until you ride down to the beaches and see the pretty female scenery there. You are only a four hour ride away from the Great Smokey Mountains and close enough to attend the annual Assault on Mt. Mitchell.
- Climate: The climate is hot in the summer and mild in the winter. It is really humid in the summer time, just right for taking a long, hot ride and then jumping into the ocean to cool off. There are also local swimming holes along a lot of the rivers and lakes, and there are a lot of rivers and lakes around there.
- Cost of Living: The cost of living is pretty reasonable when compared to other areas. Of course, the farther you are from Metro-Charleston, the lower the cost of living gets.
- Surrounding area (cities, culture): The Charleston area is one of the most historically diverse areas in the US. It is where the Civil War started so there are many historical sites and museums dedicated to that period of US history. There are also vast historical attractions from the colonial period up to WWII. Besides the historical draw, there is the annual Spoleto Festival which is an arts festival that takes place in May(I think). There are many other small art shows held during the summer months. There are stage productions at the Dock Street Theater on a regular basis, and there are a large number of jazz and rock music clubs in the down town entertainment district. Also the College of Charleston offers a large number of entertainment attractions. The sports fan is not too hard up for action. While there are no major league base ball teams in the area, there is a minor league team, the Charleston Rainbows. If you enjoy football, there is the Citadel(yea, I know), and the Unversity of South Carolina is just a couple hours away. Clemson is about four hours. If'n ya like Nascar, Darlington is 90 minutes away, and a weekend trip to Loew's Motor Speedway in North Carolina is an easy drive. As with any seaside city, there are all kinds if water sports, swimming, diving, sking, boating, fishing.....
- Other stuff (raising families, economic outlook, or anything thing else the place has going for it...) Small town charm meets suburban education. The schools are great. Southern hospitality is alive and well when you get away from Metro-Charleston.
- Drawbacks?: There is a decided lack of jobs in the area. What used to be the best kept secret of the South has been found out and there has been a large influx of Northern Urbanites immigrating to the area, bringing thier views of how things should be with them, and trying to bend the native born citizens to their will. They have put up housing complexes, malls, and even torn up the ocean front to build sea side resort communities. I can remember when you could four wheel out to the beach on Kiawah Island and you would be the only person on the beach for miles. Now you are lucky to find a place on the beach to sit. Plus, there is Hilton Head close by with it's transient residents passing through. Myrtle Beach is to the north and a lot of the vacationers from up there travel to Charleston to sight see and clog things up down town.

Well, so much for my rant. It is still my favorite place.

Pacific Northwest - Seattle or Portland. Climate is temperate for the most part year-round (yeah, it gets a bit drizzly but that ain't nothin'), plenty of great mountains to climb, very bike-friendly area.

The only true hurdle is it's apparently ridiculously expensive to live in...at least when I was out there about 10 yrs ago real estate values were just ridiculous.

Not in order of preference, just in order of recall:

Ireland;
Scotland;
Wales;
south of France;
eastern Canada;
New Zealand;
Colorado;
The Netherlands;
NW Arizona;
Davis, CA.

I'm sure there's some I forgot, but oh, well....

You guys should consider Australia... east coast, down the bottom - MELBOURNE!

jvanv8 said:

So be sure to list the qualifications:

- Riding / Scenery
- Climate
- Cost of Living
- Surrounding area (cities, culture)
- Other stuff (raising families, economic outlook, or anything thing else the place has going for it...)
- Drawbacks?
With all the above in mind, Northern Georgia.
Three drawbacks:
1. Long way from the North Cascades riding in Washington State.
2. Long way from The Skyline Drive (althought just a few hours from The Blue Ridge Parkway, in NC/VA).
3. More than 4 hours from either the Atlantic or the Gulf shores.

bigpedaler said:
Not in order of preference, just in order of recall:

Davis, CA.
Ireland;
Scotland;
Wales;
south of France;
eastern Canada;
New Zealand;
Colorado;
The Netherlands;
NW Arizona;

I'm sure there's some I forgot, but oh, well....
Just rearranged the list for you. Davis, on the face of it looks a bit drab but the location is good. The Sierras/Tahoe are only a couple of hours away, Sacto is really close (not that there's anything there) and the Bay Area is within commuting range. Plus Davis has a really good brewery and a fine selection of places to eat... and lets not forget that it's a college town where the unversity is noted for its medical courses that seems to attract amazingly hot girls. NURSE! It's like the entire cast of the SI Swimsuit calendar just happen to live there.

1. Pacific Coast of North America (from San Diego to anywhere in Alaska).

2. Rockies.

Worst place to live in North America: the Deep South -- Third World, hot and humid, fire ants, population resembling Africa more each year.

buenos aires

riding/scenery-argentine women
climate-i'm sure they have one. temperate?
cost of living-no clue whatsoever
surrounding area-montevideo, quick run to andes
other stuff-the music
drawbacks-apparently one needs to speak spanish

Southern France
  1. Lots of mountains nearby
  2. French women
  3. Cote d'Azur
  4. French Women
New Zealand
  1. Lots of hills
  2. Green
  3. Great mountains to climb (as in climbing, not cycling)
  4. Glaciers
  5. Unfortunately NZed's economy blows.

I have never lived in the most of the places listed, so I can't comment on their desirability. However, I enjoyed reading others' choices.

limerickman said:
I suppose I shouldn't complain - but we get an inordinant amount of rain over here,

isn't that the stuff that keeps the island all emeraldy?