If you could run with any famous runner...

Tim Downie wrote:

> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?

Why famous? I think it would be more fun to narrow it
down to who on
r.r(US and UK) would you like to run with. Give me too much
liberty and my libido takes over.

So my vote is for Ozzie and for me he is famous. I have
never been around anyone that seems so well grounded. Maybe
get him to confess who he thinks is a flaming asshole on r.r
but I'd never tell. :) :)

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?
>
> Tim
>
> --
> Remove the obvious to reply by email. Please support
> rheumatoid arthritis research! Visit
> http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/speyside or
> http://www.justgiving.com/speyside if you're a UK
> tax payer.

Nothing else to do. I will eliminate the famous runners I
have already run with (Rodgers, Shorter, Waitz, Rainsberger,
Galloway, Kardong, Meb K)

Living: Deena Drossin Kastor (have met her but never run
with her) Sebastian Coe (met him but have not run with him)
Louis Zamperini (look him up!)

Dead (this would be a tough run so I assume that we would
bring the runner back to life): Zatopek, Pre, Phidippides
(however he might find running to be his least favorite
activity so perhaps we would just drink some ouzo) I cannot
think of any dead female runners that fill the niche

Believe me. if I were to jog with ANY jogger........they'd
have to be dead.

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:49:48 -0500 (EST), [email protected] (Miss
Anne Thrope) wrote:

>Believe me. if I were to jog with ANY jogger........they'd
>have to be dead.

Why, Miss Anne, I was about to say I'd choose you as my
running companion!

I think that - between us - we'd be able to compile a
considerable variety of entertainments, the sole purpose of
which would be to ensure that the rec.runners go quietly
insane over the coming months...

Anyone getting divorced yet? <splutter

I think running with a "famous" runner, for me, would miss
the point. I would choose a runner from any of the tribes or
indigenous people, anywhere in the world, for whom running
has been and remains a way of life, characteristic of their
heritage, pride and custom, and significant in their
identity and shared amongst all.

I'm not a racer...but rather just a runner, and would find
far more joy in running with them than I could ever find
running with someone (I want to say "merely") famous. I've
seen the Ecuadorians and Mexicans up in Leadville and I have
a friend who ran with a Masai herder a few years back, and
to me, joining them, would be more of a match to what I
desire from running.

One caveat: We could not run above 10,000 feet :^) I live
and run at 5,000 but get killed, I mean just slayed, at
10,000 and above.

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?

Atalanta (if she counts). Why? Well, because she kicked butt
at a time when women weren't supposed to do that, and
because I loved Marlo Thomas's rendition of the story on
"Free to Be You and Me," which was a pivotal aspect of my
childhood development.

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?

Dead

Male: Jim Peters. I invited him to my "3 famous people"
dinner party in an article. A man who acheived so much but
is unfairly remembered for his one horrendous failure
(Empire Games, 1954). Female: ***** Blankers-Koen.

Alive

Male: Paul Tergat. Absolutely the runner's runner, a man for
all surfaces, and a beautiful runner to watch. Enobled with
such dignity and grace. I have the picture of the Syndey
Olympic 10000m final sprint on my wall. Female: Well, I've
already run with Cathy Freeman when she trained at TVAC in
the run-up to Sydney. Graceful in running and life, we
warmed up and down together :-> So I guess (since Ms R is a
bit too cliched to pick) it would have to be Olga Yegarova,
just to ask: WHY?

Not famous: Male: Cameron. My best mate, he's a former
Collegiate All-Star in the US,
1:50 800m runner. Very educated, urbane, witty, and just
*has* the British sense of humour. And always leads for
the first 801m of any run... Female: Jane (GF) might maim
me, but Debbie. Very talented South African, such a loose
lengthy running style. If she trained properly she'd
clock some seriously good times. And she tells such
*dirty* jokes :eek:)

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 05:12:24 -0600, Tim Downie wrote:

> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?
>
> Tim

Haile and Bekele. Because they're the best.

shutup U stupid *****.

news:<[email protected]>...

Doug Freese wrote:
> Tim Downie wrote:
>
>> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?
>
> Why famous? I think it would be more fun to narrow it down
> to who on
> r.r(US and UK) would you like to run with. Give me too
> much liberty and my libido takes over.

I did think about including r.r. posters but I felt that it
would be better to have that in a separate thread.

> So my vote is for Ozzie and for me he is famous. I have
> never been around anyone that seems so well grounded.
> Maybe get him to confess who he thinks is a flaming
> asshole on r.r but I'd never tell. :) :)

I'm sure Ozzie is a terribly nice guy but a part of me can't
help wondering if he isn't a quad-rolling-stick wielding
psychopath who lures unsuspecting runners to his "marathon
training camps" and then bludgeons them to death with said
stick. ;-)

(I'm sure he's not but just how much do we *really* know
about Ozzie's character from his posts?)

Me? Well I could think of worse people to run with than a
McMuffin munching grumpy old ultra-runner. ;-)

Tim

--

Tim Downie wrote:

> I'm sure Ozzie is a terribly nice guy but a part of me
> can't help wondering if he isn't a quad-rolling-stick
> wielding psychopath who lures unsuspecting runners to his
> "marathon training camps" and then bludgeons them to death
> with said stick. ;-)

Sounds like he is performing a valid population
control service.

> (I'm sure he's not but just how much do we *really* know
> about Ozzie's character from his posts?)

After reading his stuff for a century plus a few personal
notes, he either has a ghost writer paid to be 100% gentle
or he is in fact the real deal.

> Me? Well I could think of worse people to run with than a
> McMuffin munching grumpy old ultra-runner. ;-)

You has best love hills cuz you're going to get your ass put
to the test and we'll see who's grumpy at the end. :) Three
of us did 18 and another three did 13 yesterday and I put
the hammer down at 15 and dusted the young bucks. A lesson
in humility. ;)

--
Doug "The humble Curmudgeon" Freese "Caveat Lector"
[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>, Doug Freese
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Tim Downie wrote:
>
> > I'm sure Ozzie is a terribly nice guy but a part of me
> > can't help wondering if he isn't a quad-rolling-stick
> > wielding psychopath who lures unsuspecting runners to
> > his "marathon training camps" and then bludgeons them to
> > death with said stick. ;-)
>
> Sounds like he is performing a valid population control
> service.
> >
> > (I'm sure he's not but just how much do we *really* know
> > about Ozzie's character from his posts?)
>
> After reading his stuff for a century plus a few personal
> notes, he either has a ghost writer paid to be 100% gentle
> or he is in fact the real deal.

Doug,

I am honored, and look forward to that run.

I am over the zealot, fanatic, and proselitizer stage of my
running. It started in '94 or '95 when I came to rec.running
to have my answers questioned. The sticks, Ma Rollers,
hoses, PVC pipes are no longer used for the mental or
psychological bludgeoning I was know to dole out to an
runner whether they want to hear it or know. "Oh, let me
show you something you can do for your...."

I still hold to most of the folklore I have shared and have
had improved thanks to the questioning and challenging of
rec.running posters and their inquiring minds.

I've appreciated the likes of and would like to run with
you, Mike Tennent, Robert Grumbine, Miles Lakin, Patrick
Arno, Sam, Dot, Josh, Madeleine Page, Lyndon, and probably
another hundred or two hundred members of rec.running who
came with right intentions, stayed, shared, and left. I just
contacted Mike Van Meter after a few years. I believe he'll
get his page up and running sometime in the near future.

At times I would have liked to meet Roger just to see the
person behind the troller's multiple masks and fascades. I
received a personal email from him on Sept. 15, 2003 which
sat in my email unread until Jan. 04, since I didn't realize
that when I switched to SBC they switched to the my sbc
address on the mail server. So I was never able to respond
directly to [email protected] as my reply bounced.

For me I'd love to run with most of the people that have
passed through or continue to hang around rec.running. I've
posted less over the past 5 or 6 months as I've set some
goals to accomplish and my posting was keeping me unfocused.
I have completed the content and the cartoons for the
running booklet and they also remain on the back burner.

It's hard to believe that we've been hanging together over
two centuries. With 30 pounds up from my running weight of
20 years ago, I definitely am in need to be a former ghost
(writer) of myself.

Rec.running has been a wonderful place to confront my ego,
my righteousness, and my desire to project onto others what
I need to be dealing within myself. I have learned how easy
it is for me to go unconscious.

I have learned to wait before sending posts in response to
something that has irritated, angered, troubled, upset or
ticked me off. Or at other times, a long run after writing
has put into context what I said showing me how foolish my
response would be if I sent it. When this happens I've been
able to start again. Socrates called it his Daimon. When
that inner voice spoke he would say: Disregard all that I
have said and let me begin again.

If they would like to run, or would prefer to sit, or even
walk or spend some quiet time, I'd like to spend time with
Christ, Buddha, Mohammed, Lao Tzu, Shakespeare, Krishna, a
wolf pack, a pride of lions, a flock of Artic Terns (the
furthest migrating creature alive), a super colony of
Argentinian ants, da Vinci, Marco Polo, Anthony DeMello,
Thich Nhat Hanh, my mom and dad, Geronimo, Black Elk, Carlos
Castenada's Don Juan, St Theresa of Avila, Thomas Merton,
Heroditus, Josephus, and any of the storytellers who have
passed on the oral histories of their cultures.

The San Diego Marathon Clinic will be 29 years old next
Sunday. It's been a interesting and lovely journey!

In health and on the run, Ozzie Gontang Maintainer -
rec.running FAQ Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est.
1975

Mindful Running: http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp http://www.faqs.org/faqs/running-
faq/

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 06:53:09 GMT, Ozzie Gontang
<[email protected]> wrote:

>At times

At times?!? It should be a constant bloody longing, you
Yankee whippersnapper!

> I would have liked to meet Roger just to see the person
> behind the troller's multiple masks and fascades. I
> received a personal email from him on Sept. 15, 2003 which
> sat in my email unread until Jan. 04, since I didn't
> realize that when I switched to SBC they switched to the
> my sbc address on the mail server. So I was never able to
> respond directly to [email protected] as my reply
> bounced.

Oh, stop prattling. My [email protected] address is still
live and you could have used that if you'd wanted. I don't
check it that often, but some rec.runners still use it to
seek my comforting words of wisdom.

Duncan Idaho wrote:

> Oh, stop prattling. My [email protected] address is
> still live and you could have used that if you'd wanted. I
> don't check it that often, but some rec.runners still use
> it to seek my comforting words of wisdom.

And to think, some people suggest you are humorless.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:03:47 GMT, Doug Freese <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> Oh, stop prattling. My [email protected] address is
>> still live and you could have used that if you'd wanted.
>> I don't check it that often, but some rec.runners still
>> use it to seek my comforting words of wisdom.
>
>And to think, some people suggest you are humorless.

What's even stranger is that some people write back EVEN
AFTER I've replied to their original email with a suitably
pithy response. Is there no end to the humiliation some folk
are willing to put themselves through?

Bloody masochists. I hate 'em all (and they love me for it!)