If you could run with any famous runner...

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 05:38:38 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>i have ran with dave scott

No, UJ, you silly little dumpling.

You ran with Dave Scott, or you have run with Dave Scott.
You have not 'have ran' with anyone.

Perhaps you should have run with your English teacher
more often?

Sincere best wishes,

Mr. Bush.

President Bush of course!

I guess b4 his knees gave out he gave the Secret Service
guys quite a workout!

--

http://runners4bush2004.rantweb.com/

We will defend the peace by opposing and preventing violence by
terrorists and outlaw regimes.

We will preserve the peace by fostering an era of good relations among
the worlds great powers.

And we will extend the peace by seeking to extend the benefits of
freedom and prosperity across the globe.

http://w-04.com/

Tim Downie wrote:

> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?
>
> Tim

Tarahumara indians - to watch their grace running barefoot
(or with tire sandals) running through Copper Canyon

Roberto Ghidoni - nicknamed the "Italian Moose". He's won
the foot division of Iditarod Trail Invitational (for those
that don't follow long distance winter races, that's 1100
miles in normal years, but he only did the 350 mile version
this year) a couple times and last year won outright - even
got ahead of the snowmachine breaking trail at one time
since the machine couldn't get through. He's about 6ft 5in
with size 15 shoe (who needs snowshoes) and a quiet person.
(I met him in REI shoe dept after the 2002 race - just
happened to be shopping there at same time.)

But more importantly he takes the idea of specificity in
training to a level not often seen here - hauling bales of
hay up what looks like 30+ degree slope. In the race, they
have to carry (usually on sled) gear over Alaska Range.
Think about how we complain about a little snow running.
Magnify that to 1100 miles.
http://www.robertoghidoni.it/attrezzatura.htm

rec.running: maybe Doug and Ozzie would let me trot along
behind them

females: Helen Klein. Geez, if you can't figure this one
out, do a google search on all her accomplishments.

Anita Ortiz, Nikki Kimball - mtn and snowshoe runners
extradonaire. One of my lasting images from the WMRT was
them trotting to the top on their recovery run - just
before the men's race. No obvious pain, chatting, smiling.
Never would've believed they had just competed in a world
champsionship race the day before. That's what
conditioning is about.

Oh, hold it, you said "with", not in their dust. Hmm, not
sure there's anyone that can run as slowly as me.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Dot wrote:

> rec.running: maybe Doug and Ozzie would let me trot along
> behind them

If you promise me a Heineken and dinner we'll run side by
side and I'd bet Ozzie would also but more for the
conversation. :)

> females: Helen Klein. Geez, if you can't figure this one
> out, do a google search on all her accomplishments.

I have never met Helen, nor hubby Norm, but I understand she
is the epitome of class. I'd add Ann Trason not just because
she is a great runner but really a warm friendly person. I'm
basing her general nature seeing her before and after a
race. As you might expect, I see her elbows for the first 10
seconds and then contrails after the gun goes off.

I ran the same race VT100 in 2000 and she sat at the next
table from me at the post race festivities. Considering her
credentials I had expected a muscular person but she is just
a little wisp of a lady.

> Anita Ortiz, Nikki Kimball - mtn and snowshoe runners
> extradonaire.
Nikki is a great runner but a bit too strange for me. ;)

Doug Freese wrote:

> Dot wrote:
>

>> rec.running: maybe Doug and Ozzie would let me trot along
>> behind them
>

> If you promise me a Heineken and dinner we'll run side by
> side and I'd bet Ozzie would also but more for the
> conversation. :)

Deal :)

>> females: Helen Klein. Geez, if you can't figure this one
>> out, do a google search on all her accomplishments.
>

> I have never met Helen, nor hubby Norm, but I understand
> she is the epitome of class.

She was up here last summer for the Mayor's Marathon, but I
didn't realize it until recently. I don't follow road races,
and I was probably elsewhere anyway.

I'd add Ann Trason not just because she is a great
> runner but really a warm friendly person. I'm basing her
> general nature seeing her before and after a race. As you
> might expect, I see her elbows for the first 10 seconds
> and then contrails after the gun goes off.

:)

Another that I was going to add (male side) is John
Morelock. While he doesn't post that much on the ultra list,
his mannerisms and descriptions on the RW ultra/trail forum
epitomize trail running to me. Take a cb and hit the trails.
He writes as to make you feel like you're there with him as
he runs by his familiar trees, listens to the birds, watches
the northern lights from a ridge, etc. And I believe he's
fast (won some races in his prime?), although you'd never
know it from most of his posts - subject of speed rarely
comes up there - mostly the beauty of trail running, food,
drink, gear (have to carry food and drink in something if
you're going to be out for awhile).

>> Anita Ortiz, Nikki Kimball - mtn and snowshoe runners
>> extradonaire.
>
> Nikki is a great runner but a bit too strange for me. ;)

I had a hard time picking one over the other. I was aware of
Anita earlier, but the image at the WMRT is the two of them
together (and I think Anita finished 8th, the highest ever
for US woman in WMRT, and NIkki was farther back). (for
perspective, a few runners from the prior day's race were
hobbling at the hotel entrance, never mind trotting to top
of course ;) And in natl ss, Nikki was 1st and Anita 2nd, I
think. Since I've not had any personal contact with either,
I'm mostly going on visual impressions. Anita's had a short
interview in TrailRunner, iirc.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
> ...dead or alive, who would you choose and why?

I thought about this for a while and can't really think of
anyone. There's a few r.r pegulars of the present and the
past that I would find interesting to run with.

Troy comes to mind, I always thought he was a great runner,
but has stopped posting since that injury. I would like a
run with Andy Hass, although it wouldn't be fun trying to
keep up! And believe it or not (as we certainly had clashes
in the past), I would also enjoy a run with Jenn e fir.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people