If You Could Would You Lose The Car And Bike Everywhere?

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
While earning my degree, I was very conscious about my spending and efficient with my wallet. I would walk everywhere, typically at least 10 miles a day. I live in NY with varied weather and to be honest, I never really had a problem doing it. During the summer, it was very fun, I'd put on my running gear after a shift and get home. I'd take a casual stroll to work and was very calm with a clear mind. I never had to work about exercise as a choir or worried about my health. That ended a few years ago, I never even had a car until a year and a half ago. Speaking of cars, I hate them....Its one fix after another, my wallet becomes a barren wasteland -_- . The car is kind of necessary for my new work needs and I also drive family around who are just starting out and don't have the means to get their own car. I'm not a car person....I bought the bike 4 months ago and am amazed at how fast you can get somewhere. For some reason I didn't get a bike earlier because I thought it was extremely dangerous and didn't think I'd enjoy it(boy was I wrong). I don't have kids or anything and think it would be cool to be able to live the lifestyle of biking everywhere!

Do any of you use a bike as your main form of transportation?Would any of you like to use your bike as your main form of transportation?

I love my car too much to get rid of it. Driving and riding are my two main loves in life and although I use my car for commuting, I use my bike for just riding around for leisure

I don't think that I could live with my bike as my primary form of transportation. I don't really live in a city where I can just zip around and get to where I need to go--things are very spread apart. I enjoy riding more than driving, but driving is just a necessity in the kind of area that I live in.

I do most of my commuting either on foot or cycling.
Typically I don't need to go very far though, maybe a half hour loop to get to my gym and grocery store.
If we're going downtown or anywhere much further than that my boyfriend usually drives. Outside of our neighborhood you pretty much have to take a highway to get anywhere and I'm not really comfortable biking on those roads.

I am fortunate to live just 5 miles from where I work and decided that the car was an expense that I really didn't need last summer. I have never regretted it one bit. I find myself now cycling further than ever and not just for work which is how it started off.

This weekend for example I will be cycling to Bath which is approximately 77 miles away, albeit it's for training for a big event in November however this time last year I would have scoffed at anyone even suggesting such a thing!

Never was much of a car guy, lived 'car lite' for many years, totally car-free for about 3 now.
How easy this is depends greatly on your location.
In most of Europe, completely normal to not have or need a car, many millions of people live perfectly normal lives by walking, public transport, biking, etc.
OK in some US cities with extensive public transport systems - NYC, Boston - as long as you're not planning on dating non-Hippies.
In most of the rest of North America, living the bike commuter lifestyle will condemn you to the weirdo fringe of society, even if you're not a fringe guy.
It will, however, greatly improve your physical and financial well-being, independence and freedom.

AlanManley said:
I am fortunate to live just 5 miles from where I work and decided that the car was an expense that I really didn't need last summer. I have never regretted it one bit. I find myself now cycling further than ever and not just for work which is how it started off.

This weekend for example I will be cycling to Bath which is approximately 77 miles away, albeit it's for training for a big event in November however this time last year I would have scoffed at anyone even suggesting such a thing!
That sounds like it's gonna be a pretty awesome ride.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you starting from and do you have a time you've set yourself that you'd like to finish in?

I also enjoyed walking it is good for the mind and health. There is some sort of peace you attain when you walk. I take advantage of walking because when I am alone I can concentrate more on anything that I want to put my mind on. If I am not able to use my bike I never hesitate to take long walks

I would still need my car to get to places that I could not get to with my bike, so duh, I would keep the car. There's a lot of reasons why I would not give up my car.

I would never let go of my Mr2 turbo. I'm just so attached to it, even maybe a bit more than my trecky. I'd need my car for traveling over long distances so probably not really. Close distances, sure I'd love to take my bike.

I've never had a car, so I can attest that it is definitely doable if you live in town, relatively close to everything. If you live in the suburbs, I don't know how it would be possible unless you have access to decent public transportation where you can combine bike and bus or train riding to get where you need to go.

There are places my bike will not take me but I ride whenever I can. Much as biking is healthier it may not work in some instances and that is when a car comes in handy. I enjoy driving most of the time but I am divided about which of the two activities I prefer. :)

No. I don't use my motor vehicle all that much these days, but it does have it's uses. If I need to do shopping, take the family out on a weekend trip or meet a client out of a town, then my car is absolutely essential. I would only consider dumping my car if there was decent public transport in my area, and my family could agree to forego the vehicle.

While earning my degree, I was very conscious about my spending and efficient with my wallet. I would walk everywhere, typically at least 10 miles a day. I live in NY with varied weather and to be honest, I never really had a problem doing it. During the summer, it was very fun, I'd put on my running gear after a shift and get home. I'd take a casual stroll to work and was very calm with a clear mind. I never had to work about exercise as a choir or worried about my health. That ended a few years ago, I never even had a car until a year and a half ago. Speaking of cars, I hate them....Its one fix after another, my wallet becomes a barren wasteland -_- . The car is kind of necessary for my new work needs and I also drive family around who are just starting out and don't have the means to get their own car. I'm not a car person....I bought the bike 4 months ago and am amazed at how fast you can get somewhere. For some reason I didn't get a bike earlier because I thought it was extremely dangerous and didn't think I'd enjoy it(boy was I wrong). I don't have kids or anything and think it would be cool to be able to live the lifestyle of biking everywhere!

Do any of you use a bike as your main form of transportation?Would any of you like to use your bike as your main form of transportation?

I've started to cycle/walk/run more and more.

I used to race, but outside of that I used my car or my wife's car. In recent times, I've started to walk far more. I've also bought a folding bike and this allows me to cycle more and more. I've used it to get to and from our local church.
I've used it to get to and from work.
I've even used to it to get to and from the pub!

Living w/o a car is impossible where I live and what I do for a living; however, I could live without a car in NYC or Paris. I just couldn't live in one of those cities.

I live in a large city where every relevant location in my life is multiple miles apart, so it would be very impractical for me to ditch my car and ride a bike everywhere. But would I want to? Of course. It would save so much money, and I can only imagine how much free time I'll have since my commute and my workout is combined.

I think you live in the perfect city for it. New York is flat and is built on a grid system so it's easy to get anywhere quickly. If I had to live there I would never even think of getting a car and I love driving. I have seen some documentaries about bikers in New York and I know it's not the easiest place to ride in but it's far better then driving.

Although I like bike ,I still have a car.In my city bike is hard to be a traffic tool.Maybe because of lack of bicycle lanes or because of polluted air.Car is necessary.

My bike is already my primary transportation. I do have a car for when it is needed (mostly to take my brother places), but I mostly use the bike.

Oh my god, of course!
All I need is somehow bearable bicycle paths and I am on my way to anywhere! It would be so nice, like in the Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands.