If you designed power meter software what would you want?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by jmocallaghan, Apr 24, 2007.

1. johnb263

johnb263 New Member

Also, Garmin provides a free altitude correction service through motionbased.com ("MB Gravity") that's supposed to
    " cross-reference the horizontal location of every point along a GPS track and provide a more accurate and consistent elevation value provided by an elevation database built by the government ":eek:

All in all I think dr. Coggan is right - this is probably second order as far as power training is concerned, at this stage. I find the G.Edge usefull as a motivational tool - I live close to a nice 8km 4 to 10% grade road up a mountain here in Silicon Valley (Highway 9), and using the GPS to break this up into segments make life a bit more enduring... It would be nice to associate power with these segments - that was my thought.

2. RChung

RChung New Member

Then you'll want to know how to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter.

3. fatrat

fatrat New Member

This is a bug in WKO+ IMO. If I've gone to the trouble of estimating a TSS value I want it included in my weekly etc totals.

Usual issue for me is commuting. I commute on a beater, then enter a manual value based on riding in a couple of times on the race bike with PT.

4. johnb263

johnb263 New Member

5. JIM WV

JIM WV New Member

I'd second that. Matter of fact, as cool as some of the ideas for WKO+ are in this thread, I would take that before new stuff for WKO.

6. gza

gza New Member

How about not having to 'turn on' HR, Speed, Cadence each time you load a file? Freakin' PITA!!! Either that or I'm so stupid I can't work that one out....

Yes the maual TSS creation doesn't work too well, agreed.

I would also like to see a ramp rate number for CTL.

Also a provision for health related / subjective feelings tracking.

And while I'm at it, a rolling NP line for any trace.

Also the ability for an athlete to email a block of files as a single attachment, for easier loading into WKO+.

As a sometime software developer, I know the chances of seeing any of these are slim!!!

7. acoggan

acoggan Member

Are you telling me that WKO+ will display those other parameters? Gosh, I never look at anything but power. ;)

8. gza

gza New Member

Surely speed wins bike races, not power? ;-)

9. vladav

vladav New Member

Dr Coggan, et all,

Doesn't road grade affect the total muscle mass engaged? ie steeper grade = more glutes, etc.

If so, wouldn't FTP be different?
    If so, wouldn't it be valuable to segregate power values into bins by grade?

Thanks for any input!
    Dave

10. acoggan

acoggan Member

At constant power and cadence, changes in inertial load have, at best, only very minor effects on how we pedal. IOW, the answer to your question is "no", or at least "not directly".

11. acoggan

acoggan Member

Yeah, but of the various things you can plot in WKO+, the one you're training to maximize is power - your speed is merely a by-product of the power that you produce in the context of the resistances that you must overcome. :D

12. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

that is freak'n annoying... at least be able to save your preference...

as for the use of the other charts... i have a PT , so no altimeter... so the only way i can workout where road features e.g. hills are so i know what that power is realated to what condition is to look at speed, cadence etc... location of hills stand out like a sore thumb (high power, low spd, lower cadence) looking at these things is almost as good as having an altimeter... anyway it lets you know where you are in the ride based on where the rises are or where you did an interval, sprint etc...

and i agree that knowing what approx power relates to spd y in condition x is also a good thing to know for when you're riding sans power meter in a race...

13. jmocallaghan

jmocallaghan New Member

That is possible during start up given same sensors, etc. But, once you start imparting motion the accuracy will tank. If anyone out there can solve this issue let me know. In my line of work, a lot of people have been working this issue and still we don't trust it and go to survey and map spotting once motion is imparted or accuracy within 3 degrees is being required for gradiant.

14. Snuffleupagus

Snuffleupagus New Member

I'd really like to see a performance manager-esque chart that is more inclusive of 'life-style' related stress.

It could be the addition of a few simple things for which there is a degree of data such as:
    Hours of sleep per night
    Caloric deficit or surplus - bonus if broken down into the macronutrient groups (carbs/protein/fat)

In addition to that, it'd be interesting to see what kind of other stressors could be tracked. Obviously, this would be exponentially more difficult than tracking the effects of sleep and nutrition on performance...but possibly worthwhile.