If you rode my bike...

Pankh

Feb 14, 2019
.a 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 rim brake, and was playing with the idea of a wheel upgrade from the stock Mavic Askium WTS wheels, and:

• you rode 50-125 miles/week for fitness/exercise on mostly flat roads, occasionally windy/gusty weather but not in rain

• you were male, 53 yo, and weight fluctuated between 205-215 pounds (92-97kg)

• you like to go fast and maybe climb some hills on group rides keeping up with the group (while you work on improving your conditioning)

• had a budget of $500 max.
What wheelset would you consider upgrading to? Or would you just stick with the current wheels?

.a 2017 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 rim brake, and was playing with the idea of a wheel upgrade from the stock Mavic Askium WTS wheels, and:

• you rode 50-125 miles/week for fitness/exercise on mostly flat roads, occasionally windy/gusty weather but not in rain

• you were male, 53 yo, and weight fluctuated between 205-215 pounds (92-97kg)

• you like to go fast and maybe climb some hills on group rides keeping up with the group (while you work on improving your conditioning)

• had a budget of $500 max.
What wheelset would you consider upgrading to? Or would you just stick with the current wheels?
https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-...occo-c17-clincher-wheelset-2018/11479772.html

I have one set on an older Pinarello at the moment and had another on a Look carbon. They are slightly heavier than other wheels but they are RELIABLE and the weight difference is only 3 ounces or so. And the price is so good how can you turn it down.

Personally if your current wheels are not broken or worn and you are on a budget, I would reconsider replacing something that not broke. You didn't say how many miles you have on the rims, but money is money, you can either save that money for wheels later when they're worn out of if you bend one, or use the money for getting some odds and ends you need. This is one of those things only you can decide.

$500 budget does get you some very nice wheels, I'm not keen on the Campy suggestion because if you need a spoke you will have to wait for Campy to send it unless you have a large LBS in your area that sells Campy wheels. However there is wheel company that has rave reviews for making high quality wheels at decent prices called Hunt. The wheelset I'm going to show you weighs about 100 grams less per wheel than the Campy; they are also rated for a heavier rider of 286 pounds vs 224 for the Campy; so what's the big deal about the weight limits when you weigh less than either of the wheels? the big deal is one is only marginally better and will not last as long on rough roads as the other will, plus the Campy will require more frequent truing, and since you do not race, you ride on surface streets, and you like to go faster up hills this lighter Hunt wheel I think would be more suited for that, but you have to decide of course, You should google Hunt bike wheels and go to the road wheel section and look a the Superdura wheel road wheelset. Those wheels are right at your price limit, but sometimes you have to spend a bit more to get something a lot nicer, but the good thing is there is no shipping charges or taxes. Those wheels do come out of the UK so it will take a bit longer to get to you vs something sent within the USA of course.

Speaking of changes, when your current tires wear out consider getting a set of slightly lighter tires, but make sure you get them on a big sale with at least a 30% mark off because tires are way overpriced when you consider how much material is in a bike tire vs a car tire! Latex tubes is another option for losing some weight, but you have to be careful installing latex tube so as not to tear the tube with a tire lever or the bead of the tire. It's possible, depending on your current tires and tubes of course, you could save roughly 100 grams per wheel.

Hey there!

First off, I think it's great that you're looking to upgrade your wheels on your Cannondale Synapse. A good wheelset can make a huge difference in your ride quality and performance.

Based on the type of riding you're doing, I would recommend looking into some mid-depth carbon wheels. They offer a good balance of aerodynamics, weight, and durability. I'd recommend something in the 35-45mm depth range.

One option that comes to mind is the Zipp 30 Course wheelset. They're lightweight, have a 32mm depth, and are known for their durability. They also have a great reputation for customer service and support. They usually retail for around $800, but you might be able to find them on sale for around $600.

Another option to consider is the Reynolds Attack wheelset. They're a bit more affordable, with a retail price of around $500, and have a 41mm depth. They're also known for their stiffness and responsiveness, which would be great for climbing hills and keeping up with the group.

Of course, there are many other great wheelsets out there, but these are just a couple of options to consider based on your specific needs and budget.

Happy cycling!

Cheers,
Darrill