If you shave your legs....

I use a trimmer set very low, gets the hair short enough that it looks shaved, but the hair is long enough that you don't have to worry about lotions or anything, nor any itching or other side-effects from having the razor against your skin. It's getting colder in the mornings anyway, so having some hair is going to be a good thing for me.

Just shaved mine for the first time. I'm getting alot of the "you sure your not gay" from the wife (not that there is anything wrong with that....reference Seinfeld). I think using her razor in the shower works the best. Just think all these years of her using my razor and me complaining about it......I think it's the sweet sweet irony that keeps the ingrown hairs away.

i'm one of those lucky people who only needs to shave their legs once every 2 months :p

before i shave, i take a nice long shower, wash my legs with soap. then shave. wash with soap 'n rinse. then i apply Aveeno lotion. that's all. my legs are nice 'n smooth.

*Alice...could you go into more detail please...as much detail as you can...just let me light a candle...

...OK...GO!

what has shaving your legs got to do with being gay? I have a couple of friends who are gay and they would not shave their legs?? Anyway would you tell Armstrong or Basso that they are gay after just reaching the top of the Alp d'Huez?

Anyway, use a non-perfumed moisturising cream like Aloe Vera.

From a girl who's been shaving for years, I find that using a MENS razor (that would be used for facial shaving) Like a Mach 3 works the best. I have really sensitive skin and I get razor burn easilly. And that is the ONLY razor I have found to work worth a dern. Also, I can't use foofy shower gels or foofy girly shaving creams. I have found the Nivea brand shaving cream to work the best (ALSO in the mens department). Use warm water to shave, keep your knee STRAIGHT when you shave it, and afterwards when I dry my legs I dry them by moving the towel DOWN my leg (not back and forth) from my tigh to my feet. IMMEDIATLY afterwards I apply lotion. For some reason if I wait a while, my legs appear razor burned.

Good luck.

If you are just strating out shaving your legs,use an electric mustache or beard trimmer to take care of the bulk, then with a razor in the shower lather on the shave gel and go with the grain and dont go over an area more than once. After shaving apply moisturizor as needed (any kind will do). Then dont shave again for a week. Repeat for the first month to month and a half. Then start increasing the frequency, before you know it you can be shaving as needed. This will allow your skin to adjust to being shaved. Dont try to go to close the first time, and if you have sensitive skin stay away from delapitory creams like nair ect.

WINGNUTT said:
HAHAHA... I and my gorilla legs were thinking the same thing.

Got to agree. On another thread someone said that hairy legs means you can't descend.

Most of the leg shavers on this thread sound like they spend too much time in front of a mirror or rubbing their smooth sensitive skin!

I knew some guys in high school who shaved for swimming.

Haven't shaved but I have burned the hair off of areas.

Was just out of boardom and not due to competition.

quintonl said:
what has shaving your legs got to do with being gay? I have a couple of friends who are gay and they would not shave their legs?? Anyway would you tell Armstrong or Basso that they are gay after just reaching the top of the Alp d'Huez?
That would depend on how the were congratulating each other at the top.:eek:

I always wax now. It gets less painfull the more you do it. but the first time, oh man! Also, I can't shave because after like a day or two once the hair regrowth starts, it feels like needles in every single pore and is very painfull... many ingrown hairs follow. Anyone experience this? I have tried EVERYTHING: lotions, shave cream, shavers, conditioner, shave direction, etc... nothing helps, except for shaving with the grain, but then the hair isn't short enough.

I have been shaving my legs every day or two since 1993. Here is the what I use and in whicj order I use it.

Cogate Sensitive Shaving Cream

Mach III Razor

Alum Block while your still wet after shower (www.eshave.com)

Bath and Body Works Body Cream

Tan a couple times a week also helps with razor burn and bumps.

jet10sn said:
What do you put on them after you shave? Warming cream, lotion, or leave them alone? How do you avoid the goose bump look, or razor rash? Just curious?

Brad Wadlow said:
I have been shaving my legs every day or two since 1993. Here is the what I use and in whicj order I use it.

Cogate Sensitive Shaving Cream

Mach III Razor

Alum Block while your still wet after shower (www.eshave.com)

Bath and Body Works Body Cream

Tan a couple times a week also helps with razor burn and bumps.

Are you a body builder or a cyclist? or both?

i shave mine every other day and and the only thing i ever apply is shaving cream which is rarely. And mine is fine no ingrown hairs nor rashes.

I shave a couple times a week and use nothing more than soap, doing it in the shower. Never had a problem.

I'm a bit confused :confused: and new to the sport, what does shaving your legs have to do with cycling? What is the reason for a man to shave does it have something to do with speed wind resistance or just the possibility of falling down and getting a bit of road rash?

firebugbiker said:
I'm a bit confused :confused: and new to the sport, what does shaving your legs have to do with cycling? What is the reason for a man to shave does it have something to do with speed wind resistance or just the possibility of falling down and getting a bit of road rash?

My understanding for some of the reasons for shaving your legs is when you crash, it supposedly hurts less, (hair does not get ripped out). I think this stemmed from track cycling, for the road I don't buy that one it will hurt no matter what if you crash on pavement but the one I beleive is that (again) when you crash it allows the dressings to be applied without having them stick to a thick mat of hair. (thus limiting the ouch factor in removal) Both of these would apply if you raced group races frequently.

For the avg club rider I feel that your legs look better (if they are well muscled from hard training) when they are shaved and they will tan more evenly over the summer.