If you use mirrors....

ghsmith54 said:
I'll stand by the damned inconsiderate and I've seen a number of instances both when cycling and in a car where two or more cyclists are tooling along at 12-15 mph right in the middle of the lane with a long line of cars behind them. One occasion in particular stands out, I was cycling south and several cars coming north honked the horn, gave hand gestures (use your imagination since this is a "family" web site), yelled out "get off the *$x$@#$* road (use your imagination again since this is a "family" web site) and nearly hit me. I was wondering what the heck I'd done to inspire such anger when I crested a hill and saw three cyclists coming toward me riding three abreast with a long line of cars behind them. Naturally, they had the "right" to be there. I've often wondered how many enemies cyclists made that day.

And by the way, I've seen this in a number of states besides Texas.

And also by the way, here in Texas, a state senator (Jeff Wentworth) sponsored a bill outlawing cycling on public roads. It didn't pass but it reflects the sentiment of a lot of the public regarding cyclists. Being rude and inconsiderate just gives them more ammunition.

Greg

Oh I see. So if we all use mirrors, all cyclists will be more considerate and not ride in the middle of the lane going 12 mph anymore???

All excellent points, all valid. I'm not here to make an argument, or to disagree with anyone; just thought I'd offer my perspective.

I regularly ride in dense, urban areas, and I don't use mirrors. I suppose that's mostly because I never felt that I needed them. Sure, it's wise to know where the cars are, so some expeditious glancing and checking is warranted, along with careful listening, but mirrors, I've felt, detract from my natural philosophy or road riding.

I feel that I became a safer rider when I got past the initial fear of cars creeping up behind, and instead focused on being predictable and steady. A bike which reacts and weaves according to shoulder obstacles or traffic from the rear makes drivers nervous, I think, and increases the variables for disatser. I've always felt much safer holding a steady line on the side of the road, wearing bright colors, and not giving cars the impression that I might peel off (what if I don't?).

I don't think I'd trust myself if I reacted, actively, to obstacles from both the front and the rear.

As when I'm driving a car, I always check my blind spots before making a manuever which might put me in someone's path -- taking a turn, changing lanes, going wide, or entering a narrowed section of road.

Again, this is just me. I don't doubt for 2 seconds that there are those who make great, safe use of mirrors... but you won't see them on my bike or helmet any time soon.

meehs said:
Oh I see. So if we all use mirrors, all cyclists will be more considerate and not ride in the middle of the lane going 12 mph anymore???

Sadly, no.

Greg