If you're not training with power, what ARE you training with?

roadster99

Apr 28, 2007
Pacific Northwest
So, a year ago (actually, a bit over a year) my Orbea Orca was stolen. What truly attacked my motivation was the loss of my PowerTap. For a long time previous, I had been training with power. Ever since, I've been off and on, very unmotivated due to the loss of my hardware, both PT & bike. Of course I have since bought a new vehicle, but the motivation has been sincerely lacking. So, my original question. If you're not training with power, what ARE you training with?

Simple question, many answers. I'm just so used to being able to document what I'm doing and tracking my progress. I guess it's what type of person I am. I like being able to quantify progress. But, of course, my new investment, Madone, has delivered a blow to my pocket book. And I'm still feeling the effects. With the addition of another family member, my budget for upgrades has become slim to basically non-existent.

I left my fitness, a year ago, being able to climb @ 5w/kg up the local hill (4.6m, possibly avg 7% grade). I want to hit that number again. Actually, I want to blow that number out of the water. But I'm so obsessed with power, I can't find another medium to track my progress. It leaves me very unmotivated because I feel like I'm just putting in wasted miles. My time, of course, is very limited and I don't want to just waste my time on a 3 hour ride not knowing exactly what I'm doing. Without being able to buy another power device in the near future, I need to know some of your habits, techniques, advice, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know I haven't been here for a while. But I've hit a big rut. Make that canyon. And if I don't change things now, I'll never get back to where I was. I've already wallowed in my self sorrow for long enough and I need to do something. Anything. Just get me back on the bike because I feel totally gross and out of shape. HELP!

When I broke a spoke on my Powertap and decided to rebuild the wheel the 5 days without the PT was murder. My goal event is the 3000m pursuit so lots of L5 work. HR does not cut the mustard. So for me it's power or nothing.

Originally Posted by fergie .

When I broke a spoke on my Powertap and decided to rebuild the wheel the 5 days without the PT was murder. My goal event is the 3000m pursuit so lots of L5 work. HR does not cut the mustard. So for me it's power or nothing.

This isn't helping the OP but like you, I couldn't live without mine. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

If you can eliminate enough variables then a repeatable course/hill climb with using speed, HR, and RPE are often decent metrics in lieu of power.

I don't see how HR or RPE can be used as constants when they are influenced by so many variables. Using various sites like www.cycle2max.com.au or www.bikecalculator you can make various approximations of your power and some allow you to factor in temperature so you can use times from a climb in most weather conditions.

Originally Posted by steve .

This isn't helping the OP but like you, I couldn't live without mine. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

Sure it doesn't help but nothing measures and gives the same feedback. Coaches from other sports envy the data we get and admit by comparison they are just guessing. Maybe the OP can use this to help set priorities. My first power meter was worth more than the bike (a lot more), and my current bike is worth more (a lot more) than my car again showing where my priorities lay. I like improving and knowing what is helping me to improve or what isn't. Makes my priority clear: have the best measure I can afford.

I was without the PT for a couple of weeks not too long ago.

What did I do? Went out and rode the bike hard for a couple of hours - just like I had done with the PT - and came back just as happy and smashed.

I might have been off on average power - but when you ride pretty much the same course with and without the PT and you arrive back within a couple of minutes of the usual duration, things can't be that far off...

For road racing it's not a bigee as I don't usually look at power till I download but for L5 efforts and other track related work it's a deal breaker between a constructive workout and quality feedback on my pacing.

well, due to my schedule w/work and fam, a big deal of my workouts were trainer based. now, riding a trainer doesn't make much sense to me anymore. which makes the structure around my workouts not really worth much either. i really need something to guage myself when i'm on a trainer. besides it being kinda boring, hitting a certain number and holding it really makes me focus on the workout.

for example, this would be a typical day of training. it's around 13mi to wrk so i'd put in a time trial like effor to work, then home. of course watching my power really helped with this one. once home, i would do one of a few different workouts. 6 or 7x4 min vo2, or, 2 or 3x20's (outside on a hill), or a 1 hr trainer vid of workouts that would be considered anaerobic. i tried to mix it up, of course. intervals would average, say like mon, then do another interval workout on thurs. then sat would be my long ride. sun off. i think the most i've ever done was 3 days of intervals during the week. like every other day. but that was a bit tiring and i think it was to make a "power jump" for a hill climb TT that was one of my "target" races.

but as you see, my schedule and training were centered around power. so the big obstacle becomes devolping a workout schedule that isn't centered around it, taking into account my work and family schedule. so now you see the conumdrum. but again, i know time is something that can be used effectively, especially on a circuit that you know like the back of your hand. that way you can shoot for consistent times, and, of course, beating those times. HR just doesn't do it for me. probably only because i've never used HR as a training instrument. i've only used it as an overall "fitness guage." resting heart rate for recovery purposes and such.

thanks for the support!

Originally Posted by roadster99 .

but as you see, my schedule and training were centered around power. so the big obstacle becomes devolping a workout schedule that isn't centered around it, taking into account my work and family schedule. so now you see the conumdrum. but again, i know time is something that can be used effectively, especially on a circuit that you know like the back of your hand. that way you can shoot for consistent times, and, of course, beating those times. HR just doesn't do it for me. probably only because i've never used HR as a training instrument. i've only used it as an overall "fitness guage." resting heart rate for recovery purposes and such.

thanks for the support!
I do use a PM, but there is one course that I really cherish for my training and can use it without a PM.
It is a very flat paved fitness pathway for walkers, bikers and roller skaters, but for me it has the least amount of variables.
The way I use it on most Sunday's in my weekly training schedule is 2 x 60 minute intervals. My goal is to see how far I can go on this out and back pathway and because I can use it in this manner I know that I am progressing if I get just a bit further out because the variables are just about the same each time I go there.

Though I have the PM on board on this particular course I am using time and distance covered to be my gauge (that is if the variables are similar - some days there are too many on the trail to travel at that sort of speed and not put people at risk.) On the link above was a day where my interval was blown on the way back because I ended up talking to a local cycling legend on the way back.

Swampy and Felt pretty much seem like the way to go and infact a coach I know still uses the same course as a measure to how you are doing...I believe the big difference is that with the PT you can notice small changes in your fitness as opposed to w/o PT it will become apparent with bigger changes in your fitness...it is like trying to lift weight with no idea how much they weigh...you will eventually figure out you are doing better but in the end results for me are simpler, when you are able to stay with the pack or with weights when you look in the mirror....

-js

Thanks jsirabella, swampy, felt_rider.

The advice is much appreciated and will be taken to heart. I have a 4.6 mile hill I can test myself on that I know pretty well. I also know what my best time is on it so I have a mark to shoot for.

Guess that's the best I can do until I can save up for another power measuring device! I'm hoping the Metri-Gear/Garmin pedal set-up will be affordable. I kind of like the idea.